• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denver Comic Con (DCC): May 31, June 1 and 2, 2013 - Denver, Colo.

152 posts in this topic

I realize that new, large events like this go through growing pains, but they need to get ahead of the curve pretty frikkin quickly. I guess I better leave the house about 1 1/2 hours before the doors open in the morning.

Then they kept the stupid show open for an extra hour. I didn't make one sale in that time, but I am sure all of the people in costume had a great time.

I was there from 9 in the morning, til a little after 9 tonight. It was great. Then I got to go try to find something to eat at 9:15, before doing it all over again in the morning.

We only waited 15 minutes to get in. Paying the extra cash for the VIP ticket was so worth it. Only bought variants today and talked to a bunch of artists and a few celebrities and sat through some panels. I'll be wearing my costume for the contest tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a couple of books for a good deal from Dale's booth ;)

Sounds like they are going to have close to 60k attendees this weekend with just a handful of people giving out badges. It's nuts! I got there at 1:15, got in at 3:30 - just glad I didn't get turned away like 6k people did.

Do people actually buy comics at cons anymore or just play dress up? The only book I came away with was a Bone #1 1st print, which wasn't even on my radar, but when I saw it, I had to pick it up. Had a good offer on a X-Men 1 slab, but couldn't pull the trigger. Dale you had some great books but nothing on my radar - if only you had a TMNT #1 slab.

Well the people manning the ticket booths looked very overwhelmed. Luckily our group was near the front when we arrived so we didn't stand in line for more than 10 mins. Though they were there at 2. I think there was 20 stalls. Definitely more than 12. They goofed up and handed us a few extra weekend passes, so I'm sure there were plenty of other mistakes happening too.

Managed to get my WD 109 sketched on by Suydam. Very pleased with the turnout. Thanks to Brian for the witness.

9fPOc53.jpg

First, a picture of my kids with Eddie McClintock from Warehouse 13. They both love that show - I don't - but they were over the moon to meet him.

EddieMcClintock.jpg

Next, a great Storm sketch - $20 from Rhiannon Owens - look for a girl with a giant mowhawk in Artist Valley.

storm.jpg

Here is a sketch of a dragon by a girl who is dressed like a fairy. $7!

dragon_sketch.jpg

Amy Reeder is awesome. Take the time to meet her and buy something. This sketch was free!

Xanadu.jpg

Finally, the commissioned piece we were picking up from Amy. After we were done getting stuff from her, I was packing up my comics she signed. I overheard the guy behind us saying, "are you doing commissions?" "No, " she said. I'm too busy. I mentioned that he should have tried to get one before the con. She corrected me. She said she made an exception for my daughter because I had arranged it so far in advance and we had come to see her every time she was in Denver. My daughter lit up. She felt really special.

Anyway, the picture doesn't do the piece justice. The blue is my camera playing tricks.

Eve from Halloween Eve.

Eve.jpg

Awesome pics and updates! Now I'm getting psyched and at 11 p.m. no less! :whee:

I saw the extra hour. Cool they did that for attendees.

And Dale, good eats that late...Denver Diner hands down! It's crazy close as well - right on the corner of Speer and Colfax. Seoul food near 6th and Pearl is a hidden gem as well but further away. (thumbs u

Awesome pics and updates! Now I'm getting psyched and at 11 p.m. no less! :whee:

I saw the extra hour. Cool they did that for attendees.

And Dale, good eats that late...Denver Diner hands down! It's crazy close as well - right on the corner of Speer and Colfax. Seoul food near 6th and Pearl is a hidden gem as well but further away. (thumbs u

The blue cheese encrusted burger at the Denver Diner is one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. I love going there.