• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 8:37 PM, the blob said:

I guess I need an avatar because the T looks dumb, although people made fun of my last one and the one before that.

Amen it is something though, a lot of small things. Maybe not too innovative itself  :cheers:

No worries, those comics may have lost whatever percentage, but through the ages it is still a smaller loss than the gains you noticed.

So far anyway. :cheers:

On 12/6/2022 at 9:44 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Amen it is something though, a lot of small things. Maybe not too innovative itself  :cheers:

No worries, those comics may have lost whatever percentage, but through the ages it is still a smaller loss than the gains you noticed.

So far anyway. :cheers:

Easy come, easy go. I need to do a bit of Marie Kondoing in my comic areas. I let it get a bit out of control and there is a room in my house I want to turn into an art studio (for me), lego building/display area (for my kids), and possibly a little work out corner and home office. That might be more than the room I had in mind where about 6,000 comics currently live.

Are shows doing better now that there is a little less luster in online selling with more IRS reporting (and less Covid concern?) or are they not because there is less of an online market to flip show purchases to?

Edited by the blob

On 12/6/2022 at 8:57 PM, the blob said:

Easy come, easy go. I need to do a bit of Marie Kondoing in my comic areas. I let it get a bit out of control. Are shows doing better now that there is a little less luster in online selling with more IRS reporting (and less Covid concern?) or are they not because there is less of an online market to flip show purchases to?

I haven't been to a show since June this year, but even then it was priced high. I traded some similar over priced for good value towards other books. I could have done better had I traded for older stuff. Moon knight 1980 #1, my 9.0 was worth $150  in June and I had traded a silly trade, but now the value is kind of equal kind of thing. It was more to where volume helped lol

And not sarcastically haha but recent may be more relevant to ask the boardie @littledoom I don't know if he went to a big show per se,  it was more recent 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/6/2022 at 10:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I haven't been to a show since June this year, but even then it was priced high. I traded some similar over priced for good value towards other books. I could have done better had I traded for older stuff. Moon knight 1980 #1, my 9.0 was worth $150  in June and I had traded a silly trade, but now the value is kind of equal kind of thing. It was more to where volume helped lol

And not sarcastically haha but recent may be more to ask the boardie @littledoom I don't know if he went to a big show per se

I already got my second round of covid last week, so I'm ready to get into cramped spaces with other mouth breathing dorks, I figure it'll be another year until I get covid again

This fall there was a noticeable shift to SA/BA/CA books worth $500 or less. Modern has gone quite cold, but I have been selling high volumes of SA/BA/CA slabs in the sub-$500 range on eBay since mid October. It has been great to turn over inventory that was sitting online during the spring/summer con season.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:58 AM, the blob said:

what about $1-5 books?

I decided to take most of the year off from going to Cons just because the market seemed to be shifting way back in spring.  Almost every Con I heard about there was very little dealer to dealer selling since dealers are the first to see the market correcting and adjusting accordingly.  It sounded like the average collector was still buying but prices were having to be slashed to get people to buy in a lot of cases.  I've been seeing a much larger number of CGC books selling on E-Bay so it appears graded books are the flavor of the month for buyers.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:56 AM, 1Cool said:

I decided to take most of the year off from going to Cons just because the market seemed to be shifting way back in spring.  Almost every Con I heard about there was very little dealer to dealer selling since dealers are the first to see the market correcting and adjusting accordingly.  It sounded like the average collector was still buying but prices were having to be slashed to get people to buy in a lot of cases.  I've been seeing a much larger number of CGC books selling on E-Bay so it appears graded books are the flavor of the month for buyers.

There was a noticeable shift to graded books at shows in the spring as well. I sold more slabs at the one day shows this year than I ever have. The bulk were to run collectors that were previously raw book buyers. Now they are buying nicer slabbed copies with their runs completed, or to have a few nice pieces to display in their collection room/wall/man-cave. 

I will know more in March this year at our first show. Raw still dominates local shows here. Some high end slabs change hands
including WWBN 32 among others at the last show. What I like is when someone brings a big binder list you know they are
going to be there awhile when you see that. Selling techiques vary, but volume always assures you will see sales. No dollar boxes? You
are only hurting ur sales.  I also try to be bring extra just ordinary boxes for buyers buying large amounts. I hate seeing them leave
with their hands full a box makes it easier for them. Right now Lobo is the hot thing out currently along with Blue beetle among others.

I still 4 or 5 Spawn collectors a show and they usually looking for harder to find Spawn issues so I never pass them up to buy. I just
bought a larger newsstand collection from the early late 90s/2000s so I am interest to see how it sells. Unless it's a key at a show it won't see
much interest, but in high grade I can move them easily online. One deal told me he is done with multiple day shows. He told me he 
made as much at my show in one day that he did in Lexington in multiple day shows. I can understand that. If you don't have a huge inventory
those 3 days shows have got to be a killer with table costs. 

On 12/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, fastballspecial said:

I will know more in March this year at our first show. Raw still dominates local shows here. Some high end slabs change hands
including WWBN 32 among others at the last show. What I like is when someone brings a big binder list you know they are
going to be there awhile when you see that. Selling techiques vary, but volume always assures you will see sales. No dollar boxes? You
are only hurting ur sales.
  I also try to be bring extra just ordinary boxes for buyers buying large amounts. I hate seeing them leave
with their hands full a box makes it easier for them. Right now Lobo is the hot thing out currently along with Blue beetle among others.

I still 4 or 5 Spawn collectors a show and they usually looking for harder to find Spawn issues so I never pass them up to buy. I just
bought a larger newsstand collection from the early late 90s/2000s so I am interest to see how it sells. Unless it's a key at a show it won't see
much interest, but in high grade I can move them easily online. One deal told me he is done with multiple day shows. He told me he 
made as much at my show in one day that he did in Lexington in multiple day shows. I can understand that. If you don't have a huge inventory
those 3 days shows have got to be a killer with table costs. 

Your comment re: $1 boxes is interesting. I have actually stopped taking $1 and $2 boxes to shows since everyone has them and I do not sell as many as I used to. Pre-covid I would move 3-5 longs easily each one day show. Since last fall I have noticed a change in buying patterns re: dollar books. Every other vendor has them at shows, and I am doing better using the space for $5+ hot modern retail and older back issue books (raw and slabbed) instead.

On 12/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, ThothAmon said:

I remember thinking I must be nuts paying $1.25 x 8 for a DC in 1984. 39 years later the verdict is in. That is a compounded return. 

image.jpg

D83938A0-5DF4-4001-BB13-C2292D637DE8.jpeg

AD3806C3-5309-4B18-9D0C-1BC62AE9B73A.jpeg

Yours appear to be doing better than my stacks of Saga of Swamp Thing 1’s and All Star Squadron 1’s I snagged from the rack around that same time! xD