• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,777 posts in this topic

Are we talking value or movie bump? To put these two characters in comic terms, Yoda is like Professor X and Boba Fett is like Wolverine. Boba Fett will always command a premium over Yoda. With that said, I think you are right that many people don't know that #41 is Yoda's first appearance in comics. Perhaps as the movie productions gets rolling word will spread and the book will heat up. GPA does show #41 on the rise while the last 9.8 sale of 42 is down but that was before the movie announcement.

But issue 41 is not Yoda's first appearance in comics. And issue 42 is not Boba Fett's first appearance in comics either. Both issues are reprints from the Marvel ESB paperback 1st edition. Yoda is depicted differently in the paperback than he is in the comic (and subsequent printings of the Marvel ESB paperback.)

I'm pretty sure the Marvel ESB paperback preceded issues 41 and 42 of the regular comics.

It looks like the Marvel ESB paperback came out in May 1980. The Star Wars 41 has a cover date of November 1980. If you figure most comics were meant to be on the shelf for 3 months, the Star Wars 41 would have been on the shelves July or August 1980. I suspect Star Wars 39 would have been on the shelves in May 1980 (to coincide with the movies release), so July 1980 is probably for Star Wars 41.

For a look at the different, early art for Yoda, take a look at this web page:

http://matttauber.blogspot.com/2010/07/al-williamsons-esb.html

Edited by rjrjr

Are we talking value or movie bump? To put these two characters in comic terms, Yoda is like Professor X and Boba Fett is like Wolverine. Boba Fett will always command a premium over Yoda. With that said, I think you are right that many people don't know that #41 is Yoda's first appearance in comics. Perhaps as the movie productions gets rolling word will spread and the book will heat up. GPA does show #41 on the rise while the last 9.8 sale of 42 is down but that was before the movie announcement.

But issue 41 is not Yoda's first appearance in comics. And issue 42 is not Boba Fett's first appearance in comics either. Both issues are reprints from the Marvel ESB paperback 1st edition. Yoda is depicted differently in the paperback than he is in the comic (and subsequent printings of the Marvel ESB paperback.)

I'm pretty sure the Marvel ESB paperback preceded issues 41 and 42 of the regular comics.

Wow good find (worship) I know there are two versions of the paperback, one mass market paperback size and one the size in between the mmpb and tpb size. Do you know if they both have the early version of Yoda? Also, I believe this was also printed in Marvel comics super special 16, any ideas which Yoda is in there?

Yeah I was looking into that and I don't think the paperback qualifies especially in the case of Yoda who is not accurately represented in the book. The paperback predates the actual comic by a few months.

Wow good find (worship) I know there are two versions of the paperback, one mass market paperback size and one the size in between the mmpb and tpb size. Do you know if they both have the early version of Yoda? Also, I believe this was also printed in Marvel comics super special 16, any ideas which Yoda is in there?

The paperback was printed in May 1980 ( prototype Yoda? ) then printed oversized and printed in Marvel Super Special 16. I believe the oversized and Super Special came after the Paperback and Star Wars issues. I really want to see what the first Yoda looked like!

Interesting when you see the differences between what the artist thought the pre-release photos were showing and what the characters ended up really looking like in film (and later in comics).

esb_0009.jpg

esb_0002.jpg

After seeing the Yoda from the paperback I would say issue 41 is his first comic book appearance although i'm not sure what that means for Cracked 173 which came out the same month as Star Wars 41?

This comes from the CB Database concerning the paperback:

Definitely not a trade paperback, in the modern sense, but a more typical paperback novel size.

This version of the story appears to be the original, because of corrections made to Yoda. His appearance here was done without the benefit of the final film design. Marvel artists didn't get to see Yoda until the film was nearly in release. Thus, the monthly issues correct (and necessarily postdate) the version seen here.

Very technically, this volume is slightly predated by a black and white version of this book, which is really the very first comics version of The Empire Strikes Back. This version is quite rare, however, and details are hard to find.

Edited by MrWeen

As someone has already mentioned, the Yoda depicted in all comics after the Marvel ESB paperback were redrawn to look like the Yoda shown in the movies. I don't have subsequent printings of the Marvel ESB paperback (just the first printing), but supposedly every printing past the first printing show the movie Yoda as well. If anyone has a non-first printing of this paperback, I would be interested in confirming this information.

Interesting when you see the differences between what the artist thought the pre-release photos were showing and what the characters ended up really looking like in film (and later in comics).

esb_0009.jpg

esb_0002.jpg

After seeing the Yoda from the paperback I would say issue 41 is his first comic book appearance although i'm not sure what that means for Cracked 173 which came out the same month as Star Wars 41?

The Marvel Super Special 16 and Marvel Special Edition featuring Starwars: The Empire Strike Back both pre-dated Star Wars 41. Marvel made sure they had these various versions of the comic on the shelf to coincide with the movie's release. Star Wars 41 would be the 4th printing of those pages (or the 3rd printing of the corrected Yoda.)

This comes from the CB Database concerning the paperback:

Definitely not a trade paperback, in the modern sense, but a more typical paperback novel size.

This version of the story appears to be the original, because of corrections made to Yoda. His appearance here was done without the benefit of the final film design. Marvel artists didn't get to see Yoda until the film was nearly in release. Thus, the monthly issues correct (and necessarily postdate) the version seen here.

Very technically, this volume is slightly predated by a black and white version of this book, which is really the very first comics version of The Empire Strikes Back. This version is quite rare, however, and details are hard to find.

I've never heard of a black and white version of this book. I doubt it exists, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Edited by rjrjr

esb_0009.jpg

esb_0002.jpg

Ok so the Marvel Super Special 16 and Marvel Special Edition featuring Starwars: The Empire Strike Back both pre-dated Star Wars 41. Marvel made sure they had these various versions of the comic on the shelf to coincide with the movie's release. Star Wars 41 would be the 4th printing of those pages (or the 3rd printing of the corrected Yoda.)

You are correct about the dates, the Treasury was released in the spring and the Super Special had a date of 8/1/1980. Did the corrected Yoda appears in the Marvel Super Special and the treasury ed tho? We know that the ESB paperback is the first prototype Yoda. If the corrected Yoda appears in the treasury edition then that would be the first appearance. the same goes for the special edition.

Edited by MrWeen

TMNT #1 3rd print has 46 watchers. hm

Amazing Spider-Man #252 has 26 watchers and has been pretty popular ever since Spider-Man #3 movie.

Teen Titans #2 has 18 watchers because we all love 1st appearances.

Batman, Dark Knight Returns #1-4 has surprisingly sold well in high grades and sets in the past year or so. Success of the movie perhaps?

X-Factor #24 has 11 watchers and I think is settling in to a long key status.

Edited by whetteon