• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,721 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Everything McFarlane touches turns to gold even DC books. It's also villain Mr Bones first app and he looks a lot like Spawn. Check out the cape work :nyah: Infinity Inc is such a quirky interesting copper age team. Used to enjoy reading it as a kid. Nice to see it getting some love

For those reasons I think issue 16 and his whole run has massive potential. For those who think they’re worthless check what his Marvel Age 16 issue covers set goes for 

On 11/3/2021 at 8:22 PM, Dr Zen said:
  Hide contents

The villain Mr. Bones was teased at the end of last night's Stargirl season finale.

Actually was teased in the previous episode. It's DC folks, ain't batman related and ain't going anywhere. 

I've thought for 3 decades DC was undervalued and figured just a matter of time. We'll I've realized it will never happen.  DC has had many TV shows last 10 years, still barely no demand. Marvel on the other hand even a minor mention and books truly do go nuclear.  Take a throw-away single appearance (to best of my knowledge) villain from nearly 40 year ago "White Rabbit" not even mentioned on a TV show or movie, those who know what that MTU book commands realize DC will never,ever,never,ever,never do what Marvel can.

Common there's almost no audience for the 1st Starfire/Cyborg/Raven 1st appearing in the same book, also for example 1st Courtney Whitmore the title character on Stargirl, near zero demand for other of those . Then take Suicide Squad DC closest film property to being "hot"  small blip but that bubble burst Suicide Squad 1 is plummeting. Compared to those other properties Mr Bones ain't even worthy of being fools gold.  McFarlane fans have stuff with true growth to purchase and Infinity is not it.  Neither is Spawn 1 with the single largest CGC 9.8+ population in existence by a long shot - there are 10 metric tons of that book in 9.8 or higher! IMHO the smart McFarlane money now should seek out ASM's especially with what are now now classic but still somewhat "affordable" covers like 312 and 328. Will they become the next 316 is unknown but they could be,  Infinity Inc will not be!

BTW - I am a DC person (pre-2011 that is) but I'm also a realist. 

P.S. As DC goes Harlequin is an outlier and of course so is Batman. With Batman in terms of collectors point of view as being the only true DC property with Marvel level demand, although not A level Marvel demand.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2021 at 9:02 PM, littledoom said:

For those reasons I think issue 16 and his whole run has massive potential. For those who think they’re worthless check what his Marvel Age 16 issue covers set goes for 

Yes but that is Marvel!   If Infinity Inc was Marvel it would be a valid point, but it's C grade DC.    Its lipstick on a pig... I'm sure a few will sell in short term but buyers will get stuck. If you have 'em ready to sell, sell them now. Those thinking about sending submitting them for grading now, well the lake will likley freeze over by the time you get them back.

Apologies for my rant but the best way to get burned in comics is to think anything DC will truly be hot outside a few select outlier's IE: Batman, Joker and Harlequin. Even Suicide Squad has not maintained and that is far more marketable and in public awareness than Mr Bones.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yes but that is Marvel!   If Infinity Inc was Marvel it would be a valid point, but it's C grade DC.    Its lipstick on a pig... I'm sure a few will sell in short term but buyers will get stuck. If you have 'em ready to sell, sell them now. Those thinking about sending submitting them for grading now, well the lake will likley freeze over by the time you get them back.

Apologies for my rant but the best way to get burned in comics is to think anything DC will truly be hot outside a few select outlier's IE: Batman, Joker and Harlequin. Even Suicide Squad has not maintained and that is far more marketable and in public awareness than Mr Bones.

Not because it’s marvel. Because it’s Todd. As said before anything Todd touches turns to gold. Marvel Tales are essentially a title of worthless reprints expect for Todd’s covers.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, littledoom said:

Not because it’s marvel. Because it’s Todd. As said before anything Todd touches turns to gold. Marvel Tales are essentially a title of worthless reprints expect for Todd’s covers.

You state not Marvel then provide a Marvel example :) Not to mention an example of Spider-Man and in some cases X-Men covers drawn during Todd's ASM era (IMHO Todd's Prime). In no way is Infinity Inc Mr Bones comparable to 1988-1990 ASM era Spider-man or X-Men McFarlane cover which to many collectors are classic display pieces.  Sort of like comparing Kobe Beef to spoiled canned dog food.

Do you have DC examples? But not Batman which is the closest thing DC has to a Marvel level property.  Infinity #14 was Todd's first ever published cover and this has been known for years and unless things have changed the last 2-3 months is a book which in CGC 9.8 sells (or sits unsold) for $49-$75 at actual auction not talking BIN asking numbers. I don't have GPA subscription so can't check perhaps a kind soul who does will preset the data.

further.cdjNc4ScxzZQSxKtRJDR7Z-8RdTyIStty5-fA1aK

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, MAR1979 said:

You state not Marvel then provide a Marvel example :) Not to mention an example of Spider-Man and in some cases X-Men covers drawn during Todd's ASM era (IMHO Todd's Prime). In no way is Infinity Inc Mr Bones comparable to 1988-1990 ASM era Spider-man or X-Men McFarlane cover which to many collectors are classic display pieces.  Sort of like comparing Kobe Beef to spoiled canned dog food.

Do you have DC examples? But not Batman which is the closest thing DC has to a Marvel level property.  Infinity #14 was Todd's first ever published cover and this has been known for years and unless things have changed the last 2-3 months is a book which in CGC 9.8 sells (or sits unsold) for $49-$75 at actual auction not talking BIN asking numbers. I don't have GPA subscription so can't check perhaps a kind soul who does will preset the data.

further.cdjNc4ScxzZQSxKtRJDR7Z-8RdTyIStty5-fA1aK

It’s not a DC or Marvel case it’s a Todd case. That Infinity Inc run which is drawn by Todd happens to be DC and someone for some reason wanted to contrast the hotness between DC and Marvel. I’m just here talking Todd. But if we’re going there All Star Squadron 47 and Crow 1. Both bananas, both not Marvel. Just quality Todd covers. 

On 11/4/2021 at 1:30 PM, littledoom said:

It’s not a DC or Marvel case it’s a Todd case. That Infinity Inc run which is drawn by Todd happens to be DC and someone for some reason wanted to contrast the hotness between DC and Marvel. I’m just here talking Todd. But if we’re going there All Star Squadron 47 and Crow 1. Both bananas, both not Marvel. Just quality Todd covers. 

As a fan I agree the popularity of Todd's art can overcome the Marvel bias, but this discussion has highlighted to me how strong that bias is. While there are some exceptions like Swamp Thing 37 (1st Constantine), Omega Men 3 (1st Lobo) generally speaking there's much less demand for DC keys outside of your Batman's as MAR1979 said.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:54 PM, MattrixAlien said:

As a fan I agree the popularity of Todd's art can overcome the Marvel bias, but this discussion has highlighted to me how strong that bias is. While there are some exceptions like Swamp Thing 37 (1st Constantine), Omega Men 3 (1st Lobo) generally speaking there's much less demand for DC keys outside of your Batman's as MAR1979 said.

My only point is DC books outside of the outlier Characters I mentioned do not go "nuclear".  While I am a DC person (pre-Sept 1 2011 when Johns, Lee and Didiot fisted the fan base IMHO) Marvel Collector Bias is stronger than ever and growing.   Just the mere hint of mention of obscure D level Character in one of their TV shows or Films and the 1st app explodes. A DC characters (or team) can get their own TV show and it amounts to pretty much nothing to collectors.  Example; Stargirl, Titans, Batwoman. Even Suicide Squad which actually did receive  a bump  is sinking like a stone now - of course that does not include Harlequin as mentioned that Character is an outlier like Batman and the Joker.

Those who overpay for DC had better love the character otherwise with exception of the few outliers they will be burned fiscally if they attempt to speculate. Which actually I'm good with as the more speculators who get burned the more who may exit from the hobby. So yeah perhaps they should be encouraged to spend 2K (as one eBay "seller" is asking) on the first Mr Bones app from DC. :roflmao:

On 11/3/2021 at 11:30 PM, littledoom said:

I do understand your point but even Todd's art won't over come DC apathy and Marvel Bias.  Thus the somewhat decent money Coyote 11 commands and Infinity Inc 14 or 16 or any # ever will. Crow is not DC so not applicable to the DC "curse"

All-Star 47 perhaps that has some additional potential due to the Adam movie?? But Fate is not being played by the Rock and only "boomers" still recall Pierce Brosnan even if to me GoldenEye seems like yesterday. As for Infinity 16 and Mr (no one cares) Bones appearing on an excellent but ultra low viewership netlet show then PT Barnum's statement applies.

Todd fans; spend you money on ASM that is where growth potential for decades has been consistent and represents blue-chip stuff.

Disclaimer; I do NOT sell comics. I have the ASM's and I also have the full run of DC Infinity Inc's.  I'd love to be wrong, but DC Mr Bones - common :) , BTW Obsidian drawn by Todd looks more like Spawn to my eyes.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/4/2021 at 12:21 PM, telerites said:

Not really a part of this discussion but you made me curious so I looked.  

1131728901_GPAnalysis-comics.gpanalysis_com.thumb.png.394758fd25f68190959ce4e54a40e979.png

Thanks. I saw the BIN on ebay in Aug but I don't trust that as empirical due to so much more ripe for seller market manipulation than a standard auction which is also pretty easy. I will say that even that 2020 Avg is higher than I would have guessed. If Infinity 14 had been a Marvel book  probably 3-4x that price, maybe more?

------------------

What that chart that from GPA? If yes, how far can one go back in terms of years of data?  Although I'm only collector and never (at least not for another 6-9 years) sell comics, but sales data on this stuff fascinates so I'm thinking about subscribing.

----------

I do really wish DC was not so very much dwarfed by Marvel. But now in my 4th decade of collecting I've learned other than outliers the money is investing in Marvel. Still I do love DC and I always make sure 40-50% of each of my CGC submissions are 1990 or earlier DC - file that under my name is MOE RON

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, littledoom said:

And yet full sets of Invasion, more often than not, fail to break $10.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:34 AM, littledoom said:

Why would they? They’re not key

In that line of thinking, ASM 316 shouldn't be as valuable.   
Really comes down to a desirable cover.  And it's really only become a "key" in the recent past.  

3rd appearance and some junk about the 1st full cover appearance of Venom.  Guess his arms and torso on the cover make it a must have.  315 has his name and head on the cover and it's greatly less-valuable. 

Not dogging on the book as I like it.  But it's hard to deny the Marvel superiority over DC. 

My only disagreement with MAR1979 concerns DC 26.  That book has done well enough for awhile now.  I get it, 3 1st appearances would do better with Marvel.  But it's a no-name title and marginally designed cover.  

Patrick

On 11/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, followtheleader said:

In that line of thinking, ASM 316 shouldn't be as valuable.   
Really comes down to a desirable cover.  And it's really only become a "key" in the recent past.  

3rd appearance and some junk about the 1st full cover appearance of Venom.  Guess his arms and torso on the cover make it a must have.  315 has his name and head on the cover and it's greatly less-valuable. 

Not dogging on the book as I like it.  But it's hard to deny the Marvel superiority over DC. 

My only disagreement with MAR1979 concerns DC 26.  That book has done well enough for awhile now.  I get it, 3 1st appearances would do better with Marvel.  But it's a no-name title and marginally designed cover.  

Patrick

Yeah DC Comics Presents 26/NTT was not the best example but as you said it it was Marvel we'd be talking about a $5-7K book in CGC 9.8

ASM 316 yeah calling it first Venom cover is a stretch but Overstreet states it best "Classic Cover by Todd McFarlane"  and it sure is...315 IMHO greatly lacks eye appeal in comparison.  My Pet Peeve is the overall lack of love for ASM 299 compared to 300. In 299 Venom appears on 2 pages including a full page splash.  So not a Hulk 180/181 situation given Venom does not appear on cover of either 299 or 300.  300 of course has pretty much been a hot book since the day it was released and does have a classic McFarlane cover. Oh well it appears a 9.6 300 will always command more than a 9.8 299 :(

Edited by MAR1979