• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,807 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2022 at 7:27 AM, jimjum12 said:

... Yeah, next thing you know, you'll have nothing but a footpath in your house.... walk like an Egyptian and all that. I used to tease guys who said they need to make room and are selling a short box, "what, you live in a broom closet ?" ... now I know :tonofbricks: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/21/2022 at 1:43 PM, Readcomix said:

Yep, that’s how it starts…then, one day, you die a glorious death like that famous Manhattan hermit/hoarder who was crushed under the packaging from a steady diet of sausage, egg and cheese delivery sandwiches for years and years. It made the front page of the NY Post. The path to Valhalla for collectors who cannot part with anything :cloud9:

I have started to wonder that myself. I have seen some fellow collectors pass away without any succession plan. I have seen the gamut of how their collections were dissolved. Some the spouse just kept and didn't really sell anything. Some of them ended with the spouse asking a trusted collector to help sell it. And I have seen some sell it to a comic shop or a garage sale, getting pennies on the dollar. If something happened to me, the graded stuff would be easy to liquidate but how would they sell the raw comics? Assume we're talking tons of short/ long boxes. At what point does collecting become useless hoarding?

On 1/21/2022 at 1:49 PM, Readcomix said:

Thank you kind sir!

I swear I tried to find the old news article; it was incredibly bizarre. But I can’t turn up a link. It was many years ago.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/stunning-photos-show-nyc-house-where-hoarders-body-was-found/

Waiting for the article where a person was crushed under several comic long boxes, empty priority mail boxes, stacks of newspapers and CGC slabs. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lpgk said:

I have started to wonder that myself. I have seen some fellow collectors pass away without any succession plan. I have seen the gamut of how their collections were dissolved. Some the spouse just kept and didn't really sell anything. Some of them ended with the spouse asking a trusted collector to help sell it. And I have seen some sell it to a comic shop or a garage sale, getting pennies on the dollar. If something happened to me, the graded stuff would be easy to liquidate but how would they sell the raw comics? Assume we're talking tons of short/ long boxes. At what point does collecting become useless hoarding?

I agree.  I can't stand clutter so i reached a point where I try to sell before I buy more 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Lpgk said:

I’ve thought about this myself too as it’s sad to see collections disposed of and families not benefit from the value.  But it’s also ok if a massive collection gives one joy and it’s an important part of your life. A favorite local consignment shop in my area has a great sign outside: “It’s not hoarding if your stuff is cool.” I take it as it’s ok to make yourself happy.

That said, I think the key is striking that balance between enjoying the hobby and family responsibility. I’ve made my collection smaller, and I think a good next step is a sort of key to the stuff of value, a book that tells them which books are important and why, perhaps with a grade and a dated fmv estimate. From there, you need a trusted adviser fellow collector friend to assist.

If a massive collection is a part of what you love about the hobby, maybe just segregate the low-value high joy readers into one area and tell everyone, “Be happy with what you can get for them without much effort.” 2c

On 1/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, littledoom said:

That’s the point of collecting. It should be fun. Everything you’ve hoarded should be because you wanted to. If not whatcha doing? 

Yes,  but it’s also ok to read and release. Took me a while to realize that. Now I’m not afraid to buy someone’s entire collection because I know I can pull a few additions/upgrades for my own collection, dispose of a bunch of stuff immediately that I have no interest in, and set aside a bunch of stuff to read before disposing. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, Lpgk said:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/stunning-photos-show-nyc-house-where-hoarders-body-was-found/

Waiting for the article where a person was crushed under several comic long boxes, empty priority mail boxes, stacks of newspapers and CGC slabs. 

Nice link! That’s a very similar situation but the one I am remembering was some guy in a Manhattan walk-up who would have sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches delivered at least daily. When they found him, it seemed every delivery wrapper/package for the sandwiches was in the apartment. 
And there’s no doubt someone will go as you described, crushed in an avalanche of comics boxes. Probably one of us boardies.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:57 AM, gadzukes said:

I could not resist getting this MCP 72 double cover.  Paid way too much, but had to have it.  Love this cover.

1.jpeg

Great pick-up!  I bought a full run of Weapon X from Bedrock City Comic Co for $100 before #72 is heating up now.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:41 PM, Lpgk said:

possibly, a lot of it may go up. I don't know about you but I can't be hoarding boxes of drek in the hopes that Rintrah/Harrow/evil Dr. Strange/ etc climbs out of the dollar boxes. 

A few years ago, I bought a large lot of over 50 short boxes, mostly stuff from 2000 and on. I picked out what I wanted, tried to gaze far out into the future for possible spec opportunities. I kept about 15 boxes and sold over 35 of the shorts. Do I regret it? No, I can't be holding onto 35 short boxes. Better to make a few dollars to recoup my cost and move on. 

I'm sorry, but for all the positive reactions to this post, this was a very stoopid thing to do. :sumo: Honest question: Do you have a storage problem? or a wifey problem? :roflmao:

On 1/21/2022 at 6:28 PM, Lpgk said:

All I can say is  . . . . . . .Wow. But hey, you want to be first in line for those widows. :whistle:

On 1/21/2022 at 6:30 PM, littledoom said:

That’s the point of collecting. It should be fun. Everything you’ve hoarded should be because you wanted to. If not whatcha doing? 

In spades. :sumo: :hi:

On 1/22/2022 at 4:12 PM, divad said:

I'm sorry, but for all the positive reactions to this post, this was a very stoopid thing to do. :sumo: Honest question: Do you have a storage problem? or a wifey problem? :roflmao:

storage problem. just takes up too much space and didn't want to keep it around. 

On 12/31/2020 at 9:28 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I think a lot of that changes with the MCU horror phase. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one of these folks where the only way a comic can be valuable if there is a movie about it, but  A lot of the magazine stuff could come into play with Morbius, blade, etc. 

And frankly, given the condition that most of these magazines are in, there’s a “thrill of the hunt” aspect to finding some of these important 70s magazines in good shape.  Marvel Preview #3 (1975), Obviously an early Blade appearance, but also features the first appearance of Jamal Afari, the vampire that trained Blade.  Not developed in the Tomb of Dracula series, or the Snipes movies.

If the new Blade movies at any point develop how Blade was raised and trained, and include Jamal, this is the book.  Last I checked: 1 9.8, 9 9.6s. I just think these magazines are going to be on the radar’s of a lot more folks in the next 18 months or so, but they are already so hard to find in high grade, it might not be worth the effort at that point.

4E79B710-01F6-435D-AEDD-8A8BF1E99C74.jpeg

9.4 went for $900+ on CLink 3 night ago.  EDIT: update on census:  1 9.8 and 10 9.6s instead of 9.

Edited by bluehorseshoe