• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,721 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Is Detective Comics the less collected/sought after Batman series, even though it's the original? 

Kinda :signofftopic: to the thread, but I've been puzzled why this is the case, and I do agree it tends to be the case.  Detective isn't like Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man, Detective came first, and had the first appearances of Bats, Robin, the Babs Batgirl, as well as Two-Face, the Riddler, later Talia.  But of course not the Joker or the Cat.  Or Ras al Ghul.

Then as time goes on, most of the memorable runs happened in Detective, not the main title.  All the Infantino "New Look" interiors.  The earlier Neal Adams issues.  Archie Goodwin's tenure including the Manhunter backup series. The entire Marshall Rogers run.  All of Alan Davis' work.  Then Norm Breyfogle in the latter 1980s.  The Batman title did have Year One, Death in the Family, Hush, so there's that.

I'm wondering if Todd's Detective issues suffer not only in comparison to the preceding Year One, but also due to the fact he arrived only with Part 2, after Alan Davis left.  So its not really recognized today as The McFarlane Batman Run.  

On 5/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, Zonker said:

Kinda :signofftopic: to the thread, but I've been puzzled why this is the case, and I do agree it tends to be the case.  Detective isn't like Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man, Detective came first, and had the first appearances of Bats, Robin, the Babs Batgirl, as well as Two-Face, the Riddler, later Talia.  But of course not the Joker or the Cat.  Or Ras al Ghul.

Then as time goes on, most of the memorable runs happened in Detective, not the main title.  All the Infantino "New Look" interiors.  The earlier Neal Adams issues.  Archie Goodwin's tenure including the Manhunter backup series. The entire Marshall Rogers run.  All of Alan Davis' work.  Then Norm Breyfogle in the latter 1980s.  The Batman title did have Year One, Death in the Family, Hush, so there's that.

I'm wondering if Todd's Detective issues suffer not only in comparison to the preceding Year One, but also due to the fact he arrived only with Part 2, after Alan Davis left.  So its not really recognized today as The McFarlane Batman Run.  

And knowledge-wise, you're a one-percent-er, compared to the broad spectrum of Batman collectors. :foryou:

On 5/26/2022 at 10:56 AM, Zonker said:

Yeah, I agree with you on most of this too. I guess the Batman title did give us some of the more iconic covers in general though, moving out of the Silver Age. 227, 232, 234, 244, 251 - all Neal, plus some of his other covers like 221, 222, etc. Not to mention books like 171, 181, 189 - where you're re-introducing the Riddler and Scarecrow and debuting Ivy.

And we've got the Jason Todd era which felt very Batman-title heavy from the standpoint of driving his story, then Year Three and the Tim Drake era. Then the Morrison run late in the first volume with Damian. And I do think @Beastfeast is right about the inking.

But I'd personally take the "Strange Apparitions" run in 'Tec over any of that, story-wise.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 5/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, divad said:

And knowledge-wise, you're a one-percent-er, compared to the broad spectrum of Batman collectors. :foryou:

:blush:

It may be more of a curse, actually.  Opinions differ on this point!  :D

On 5/25/2022 at 9:25 PM, MattrixAlien said:

I wonder if divad has a point. Is Detective Comics the less collected/sought after Batman series, even though it's the original? From an artistic, key etc... perspective I agree with you Batman 423 being worth way more than Detective comics #576–578 isn't justified. Particularly if it's for the McFarlane art. The Year 2 interior art is also by McFarlane. Batman #423 is cover only. 

As a long time Batman collector, outside of some of the GA issues, Tec is definitely less sought after as a whole relative to Batman. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:17 PM, kimik said:

As a long time Batman collector, outside of some of the GA issues, Tec is definitely less sought after as a whole relative to Batman. 

Which, of course, is absurd. :whee:But allows many of us to buy what we like, and not what we are told to like, :sumo:

On 5/26/2022 at 9:07 PM, divad said:

Which, of course, is absurd. :whee:But allows many of us to buy what we like, and not what we are told to like, :sumo:

I am not sure it is absurd. The pre-Robin Tecs are amazing, but after that there are a handful of classic covers in the GA and that is it. The 60s were mostly blah for both titles for the most part. Once the BA hit, the Ras Al Ghul arc in Batman was much better than anything happening in Tec. The O'Neil/Adams collaboration started in Tec, but it was elevated in their Batman run.

On 5/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, kimik said:

I am not sure it is absurd. The pre-Robin Tecs are amazing, but after that there are a handful of classic covers in the GA and that is it. The 60s were mostly blah for both titles for the most part. Once the BA hit, the Ras Al Ghul arc in Batman was much better than anything happening in Tec. The O'Neil/Adams collaboration started in Tec, but it was elevated in their Batman run.

The whole Englehart/Rogers "Strange Apparitions" run from 469-479 (but these two shown below in particular are my favorite) is among my favorite runs of all time in any title, and I'm sure that holds true for other fans as well - and it introduced Silver St. Cloud - yowza!. :x

'Tec also had the Killer Croc stuff (which, yes, it crossed over with the Batman title, so kind of a toss-up), and the Black Mirror run at the end of the first volume. I also actually like Year Two even if it isn't canon (or is it again now?). Heart of Hush was also decent.

But yes, the Batman title had the Ra's stuff (but Son of the Demon was better in my opinion and was outside the title), Death in the Family, Year One, Hush, the Morrison run, etc. But the big crossovers in the 90s incorporated both books plus others. The Englehart/Rogers run still gets the nod from me personally.

1132946993_Tec475.thumb.jpeg.a43a5f03ffcf92fab8c0a3f3f1c24e51.jpeg

1934514460_Tec476insert.thumb.jpeg.dc8140792f6e1448293ae04ce940fde8.jpeg

On 5/26/2022 at 8:32 PM, kimik said:

Don't make me pull out my tecs . . . but :peace: 

My Tec 332 is a classic Joker Cover, but it doesn't belong in this thread . . . :whistle:

Edited by divad

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

TEC 475 was the first comic I ever got from the title.  Got it off the stands when I was 6.  Still have it :cloud9:

4D6B7B3E-804C-463E-871E-34572577D47E.thumb.jpeg.f22eb5b24be40e9479b9beb693786648.jpeg

I don’t know what it is about the splash page, but it blew me away as a kid.  Still does....

3DC2BA5F-EEB0-4CBE-BB61-D86791CF2F11.thumb.jpeg.c31c00e9beeebb5750756ca19755f0ae.jpeg

Silver St. Cloud :luhv:

CFD59394-71DE-4156-94CD-77F88B986C68.thumb.jpeg.0a56ee958317929c410931e01d915040.jpeg

Love it! Agreed, that splash just oozes Gotham and Batman. And Silver... :x I love this Batman - on the prowl, the big cape, the James Bond swagger. So good.

Since this thread is currently jacked, and staying on the topic of 'Tec and Bats - I just won a Detective 400 6.0 on eBay for what I think is a really fair price. I'm pumped! Get to check another big Bat book off my list - still have to get Bats 121, 155, 171, 232 and 234 (and probably 227 at some point) - but all in due time! I'll share pics when it's in hand, hopefully this coming week, but I was too excited to wait to share!

Ok, back to Coppers heating up - I hear Sleepwalker is a good investment...

On 5/28/2022 at 1:05 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Dare I say, a sleeper?

Don't sleep on it.

Spoiler

I have no idea if it's a good investment or a sleeper. I just wanted to make some bad jokes.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Since this thread is currently jacked, and staying on the topic of 'Tec and Bats - I just won a Detective 400 6.0 on eBay for what I think is a really fair price. I'm pumped! Get to check another big Bat book off my list - still have to get Bats 121, 155, 171, 232 and 234 (and probably 227 at some point) - but all in due time! I'll share pics when it's in hand, hopefully this coming week, but I was too excited to wait to share!

Congrats. Tec #400 is an awesome book. :headbang:

Personally, I hold Tec #395, 400, 402, 404, 405, and 411 on the same level as the big BA Batman issues, but the market does not................

Edited by kimik