• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2022 at 12:49 AM, paperheart said:

:golfclap:couldn't sell mine here for $3 a month ago

$3 for me can be a tricky price point. High grade is nice, but if it perceived as common, the urgency isn't there. If it's more key, there is still the idea that you might just find it in a dollar box or on sale. There's a lot that I will pay $3 for, but I don't always have the desire to get a pile of $3 comics unless it is run-filler on a run I really want. Beyond that, annuals that are not well-known are harder sales than regular issues from the same era, IMHO. 2c

It used to be cons ended in early Fall and sales started back up. Cons now go year round so it really depends. 

Whatnot has put alot of money into their platform and influencers to stream from cons which hurts ebay to certain
extent. I personally just don't like the format, but its growth cant be denied. Now with a desktop version they are
branching out as well there. (Unsure when it came out.)

I don't think ebay will recover until this new branch of sellers/influencers run out of money and realize they can't
make it back or they are so successful ebay has to change their format. Who knows. 

On 9/6/2022 at 1:21 PM, fastballspecial said:

It used to be cons ended in early Fall and sales started back up. Cons now go year round so it really depends. 

Whatnot has put alot of money into their platform and influencers to stream from cons which hurts ebay to certain
extent. I personally just don't like the format, but its growth cant be denied. Now with a desktop version they are
branching out as well there. (Unsure when it came out.)

I don't think ebay will recover until this new branch of sellers/influencers run out of money and realize they can't
make it back or they are so successful ebay has to change their format. Who knows. 

The thing I find interesting about Whatnot's format is that there are a lot of "speed auctions" - auctions that run for sometimes as little as 15 seconds. If you don't have enough knowledge of what you're bidding on, the hype from a seller combined with the quick action can cause a feeding frenzy of sorts where books go for way more than they should. The format doesn't allow for you to check comps on what you're buying. That's why I'm really cautious when I do go on Whatnot, and I only target stuff in my wheelhouse where I have a really good idea of their value going in. Or I just lurk and enter giveaways.

Conversely though, I've seen sellers do a 2 am show (I'm a night owl) where they have like 15-20 people in the room and they'll auction a slab that typically sells for $200 for example, and someone will walk away with it for like $75. I don't get it... (shrug)

On 9/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

The thing I find interesting about Whatnot's format is that there are a lot of "speed auctions" - auctions that run for sometimes as little as 15 seconds. If you don't have enough knowledge of what you're bidding on, the hype from a seller combined with the quick action can cause a feeding frenzy of sorts where books go for way more than they should. The format doesn't allow for you to check comps on what you're buying. That's why I'm really cautious when I do go on Whatnot, and I only target stuff in my wheelhouse where I have a really good idea of their value going in. Or I just lurk and enter giveaways.

Conversely though, I've seen sellers do a 2 am show (I'm a night owl) where they have like 15-20 people in the room and they'll auction a slab that typically sells for $200 for example, and someone will walk away with it for like $75. I don't get it... (shrug)

FOMO

On 9/6/2022 at 7:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

FOMO

So funny add-on to this - decided to hop on Whatnot tonight because I'm just chilling and didn't feel like watching a movie. I just won a "What If Venom Possessed Deadpool" Skottie Young for $15. Granted, it's a mid-grade raw copy (6.5), but even an 8.0 listed raw just sold in a BIN on eBay for $180, and a listed VF/NM raw sold for $170 at auction with 28 bids. So a mid-grade 6.5 should be around the $100 mark by that logic. Even if you argue it's lower, it's definitely worth 3-4x more than $15. Such a strange format.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:22 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Many Facebook Lives are based on the same premise. 

Little time to think, many people throwing bids at it in a frenzy, going WELL over the value, etc.   

For a seller, this is great news.  For the buyer, it's a bit foolish.   It's really killing the collecting side for me. 

Patrick