• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, F For Fake said:

For what it's worth, I love Booster Gold. The Justice League International series from the 80's is my favorite superhero comic, and Booster was a huge part of that. His solo series wasn't nearly as fun, but there's still some nostalgia there. Dan Jurgens continues to work at DC, and apparently has some editorial pull, as he continues to work on books, and Booster continues to make appearances. He may not be an A-lister, but DC has bothered to carry him along for pretty much every line-wide revamp. He had a solo series in the 00's, starred in JLI in the New 52, had starring roles in 52 (the series) and high profile minis like Heroes in Crisis and most recently The Human Target, as well as last year's Blue & Gold miniseries with Blue Beetle. He's been an action figure several times over, having appeared in Justice League Unlimited, Batman Brave and Bold, etc. Again, not an A-lister, but definitely a character that DC has put some time into, with a devoted fanbase. There was a series rumored to be coming to SyFy Channel for many years, but I think that's dead, right? Anyway, yeah, I'm a longtime hardcore Booster fan, and I'm not the only one. We're out here! 

Me too +1 on liking the character, some pivotal moments in the Death Of Superman novel that I read on long road trips. The acronyms used in the book were really confusing as I was too unfamiliar, but it only made me read that part over and over lol good times!

I'm also a big Booster Gold fan, going back to the original series. I think most writers (even Jurgens, who created him) are pretty uneven in their handling of him, but the concept is strong - the thief from the future trying to make his way as a hero in the past, and mostly ending up as a fish out of water in an array of chaotic situations. I think he appeals most to those that love the idea of connecting all the obscure bits of DC continuity, like "What if we sent a guy with a Legion flight ring back to the time of Jonah Hex, and had him team up with Rip Hunter and Vandal Savage to stop a Thanagarian invasion?" Sometimes it veers into silliness, but the story potential is almost limitless.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:41 PM, Brock said:

I'm also a big Booster Gold fan, going back to the original series. I think most writers (even Jurgens, who created him) are pretty uneven in their handling of him, but the concept is strong - the thief from the future trying to make his way as a hero in the past, and mostly ending up as a fish out of water in an array of chaotic situations. I think he appeals most to those that love the idea of connecting all the obscure bits of DC continuity, like "What if we sent a guy with a Legion flight ring back to the time of Jonah Hex, and had him team up with Rip Hunter and Vandal Savage to stop a Thanagarian invasion?" Sometimes it veers into silliness, but the story potential is almost limitless.

You're absolutely right, great concept and great potential. I also think it's a terrific character design. The simple two-color costume, the goggles, Skeets, it's just a cool, sleek look that has been mostly intact for almost 40 years now.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, F For Fake said:

For what it's worth, I love Booster Gold. The Justice League International series from the 80's is my favorite superhero comic, and Booster was a huge part of that. His solo series wasn't nearly as fun, but there's still some nostalgia there. Dan Jurgens continues to work at DC, and apparently has some editorial pull, as he continues to work on books, and Booster continues to make appearances. He may not be an A-lister, but DC has bothered to carry him along for pretty much every line-wide revamp. He had a solo series in the 00's, starred in JLI in the New 52, had starring roles in 52 (the series) and high profile minis like Heroes in Crisis and most recently The Human Target, as well as last year's Blue & Gold miniseries with Blue Beetle. He's been an action figure several times over, having appeared in Justice League Unlimited, Batman Brave and Bold, etc. Again, not an A-lister, but definitely a character that DC has put some time into, with a devoted fanbase. There was a series rumored to be coming to SyFy Channel for many years, but I think that's dead, right? Anyway, yeah, I'm a longtime hardcore Booster fan, and I'm not the only one. We're out here! 

So are Darkhawk fans they don't live in reality either. I got nothing against the character I read JLA in the 80s. I read darkhawk too the entire series. Neither of them did I ever think would amount to anything.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 1/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, F For Fake said:

I don't know if this is what your average buyer is thinking, but the big plus for any time-traveling character (DC or Marvel), is that, even with a successful cinematic universe, you're eventually going to want to do a reset so you can re-cast some of the bigger roles that actors have fulfilled their contracts on, but that you still want in movies. A good way of doing that is with a timeline reset through some sort of time travel story. I suspect that the MCU's Kang storyline is going to culminate with some of the major characters from Phase 1 being recast and brought back as alternate versions.

Also, Doctor Who has become more popular than I ever thought it would when I was a geeky kid in the '80s and none of my schoolmates had ever heard of it; I wouldn't be surprised if people just like Booster just because of the time travel element.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:09 AM, kimik said:

I work full time, but what it comes done to is what you do in your spare time and how many hours of sleep you really need (my work day starts at 6 am when I get up with my son to have breakfast before he heads to his hockey academy, and usually ends 12:00 - 1:00 am after catching up on e-mail/reading reports). It does not take much to sell books online or even better via auction houses (they do all of he work). I started selling at shows in 1998 while in university and have continued since then. I guess you could say it is a habbit/addiction now instead of a hobby. lol  To be honest, some people watch TV to unwind, others read, for me it is the mindless routine of comics.

This - I do comics from about 930-1 AM every night. TV's on in the background. I'd be up anyways, so who cares? I package my stuff up the next morning while on stupid conference calls.

On 12/28/2022 at 12:09 AM, kimik said:

I work full time, but what it comes done to is what you do in your spare time and how many hours of sleep you really need (my work day starts at 6 am when I get up with my son to have breakfast before he heads to his hockey academy, and usually ends 12:00 - 1:00 am after catching up on e-mail/reading reports). It does not take much to sell books online or even better via auction houses (they do all of he work). I started selling at shows in 1998 while in university and have continued since then. I guess you could say it is a habbit/addiction now instead of a hobby. lol  To be honest, some people watch TV to unwind, others read, for me it is the mindless routine of comics.

You work 19 hour days? :eek:

I work from home and, like Donut, multitask during stupid conference calls (which are legion). 

On 1/3/2023 at 11:41 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't know if this is what your average buyer is thinking, but the big plus for any time-traveling character (DC or Marvel), is that, even with a successful cinematic universe, you're eventually going to want to do a reset so you can re-cast some of the bigger roles that actors have fulfilled their contracts on, but that you still want in movies. A good way of doing that is with a timeline reset through some sort of time travel story. I suspect that the MCU's Kang storyline is going to culminate with some of the major characters from Phase 1 being recast and brought back as alternate versions.

Also, Doctor Who has become more popular than I ever thought it would when I was a geeky kid in the '80s and none of my schoolmates had ever heard of it; I wouldn't be surprised if people just like Booster just because of the time travel element.

Booster Gold is from the future, but he doesn't travel through time on a regular basis.

I've seen Superman travel through time a hell of a lot more often than Booster Gold!

On 1/4/2023 at 12:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

Booster Gold is from the future, but he doesn't travel through time on a regular basis.

I've seen Superman travel through time a hell of a lot more often than Booster Gold!

Booster time hops a lot in Future's End, and around the 52/Final Crisis/Flashpoint etc. period. I guess I'd say he more travels to different timelines than "travels through time" though - it's more of a multiverse thing, kind of like what the MCU is doing now. He's close with Rip Hunter too - you'll have to read the stories to find out how they're connected.

On 1/4/2023 at 4:10 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Booster time hops a lot in Future's End, and around the 52/Final Crisis/Flashpoint etc. period. I guess I'd say he more travels to different timelines than "travels through time" though - it's more of a multiverse thing, kind of like what the MCU is doing now. He's close with Rip Hunter too - you'll have to read the stories to find out how they're connected.

This was especially true of his 2007 series, lots of time shenanigans in that one. I actually enjoyed that series quite a bit. 

Hmm - lets see...High census Population Book as Copper non-Batman related, Non-Watchmen, DC goes.

Anyone who purchases this book at current market price as an "investment" will lose $. 

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Booster Gold 1 (2/86, D.C. Comics)
            1st appearance of Booster Gold, Skeets & Blackguard.
Universal 1,719 9.32     451 535 269 167 104 69 42 26 22 13 5 6 7   1 1 1            
 2. Booster Gold 1 (2/86, D.C. Comics) Signature 137 9.03     24 28 28 9 13 13 7 6 4 2 1 2                      
 3. Booster Gold 1 (2/86, D.C. Comics) Qualified 4 8.18       1 1 1                   1                  
 4. Booster Gold 1 Canadian Price Variant (2/86, D.C. Comics)
            1st appearance of Booster Gold & Skeets. Blackguard appearance. 95 cent cover price.
Universal 70 9.08     12 16 10 8 7 6 6 2 2     1                  

BTW Still have mine purchased as a kid at my LCS along with the giveaway pin/button.

Booster_Gold1b.thumb.jpg.805be33d31b3fe7b97514a9aa647f598.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

I get that was true of the character's early history. But when you realize you need a strong time-traveling character, and Booster has more name recognition than Rip Hunter, you're going to tweak the more well-know character to fit that role.

On 1/5/2023 at 1:07 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I get that was true of the character's early history. But when you realize you need a strong time-traveling character, and Booster has more name recognition than Rip Hunter, you're going to tweak the more well-know character to fit that role.

Rip Hunter is the man!

On 1/4/2023 at 11:31 AM, october said:

You work 19 hour days? :eek:

I work from home and, like Donut, multitask during stupid conference calls (which are legion). 

I had never thought of it as a 19 hour day until you put the math down. Yeah, it is not a very healthy work life balance. I am usually stuck in meetings from 8 am - 5/6 pm straight most days, so I use the time from 6:00 - 8:00 am to have breakfast with my son and then catch up on paperwork/emails from the day before, and then do a bit of work in the evening to make sure I follow up on things right away. I try to make sure I do dinner and spend some time with my wife and kids between 5/6 pm - 9 pm before getting back to work for a couple or so hours. The sad part about my job is that the workload is sort of self inflicted. I lead a small 6 person BD team that has not increased in size even though we have grown revenues from just under $3M when I got here in 2014 to what is on track to be $15-$16M this year. Unfortunately, that means a lot of late nights for everyone. We have hit that golden spot where we have a number of large partners/clients that we need to maintain, and are getting a high volume of referrals in addition to the new leads we are developing. My goal this year is to start paring back on it if I can, but I have learned the value of taking time for a 15 - 20 minute nap every so often during the day to try to keep up until the weekends. I will say this about my job, while the hours are not great it is mentally stimulating since we work with a wide range of industry sectors, organizations and communities.

Edited by kimik

On 1/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, F For Fake said:

Great summation. He’s basically a Copper Age DC Moon Knight. (Long-standing cult fan base for a B-lister who’s consistently nurtured just enough over the years. MK got his cut in the clouds; BG likely will too.)