• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,772 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2023 at 1:56 AM, divad said:

Sales have started to pick up all around  . . . which is great, as I was having a real tough time paying the mortgage with my gig-job as a ventriloquist! :insane:

What’s selling well for you? And it’s ok… either you or the dummy can respond.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:06 AM, Readcomix said:

Great summation. He’s basically a Copper Age DC Moon Knight. (Long-standing cult fan base for a B-lister who’s consistently nurtured just enough over the years. MK got his cut in the clouds; BG likely will too.)

Thing is C and D level Marvel Characters are pretty much equivalent to B+ Level DC characters.  Booster is a C+, perhaps a B level DC to some, so at best a Marvel D or E level Character :) All need to think twice before "investing" in Booster books.  Currently Booster 1 1986 is down nearly 50% off itspandemic highs and it took some recent Gunn chatter to get it back to even that feeble level.  Once that subsides it will continue it's March back to 2 figure level.  Bottom line if it ain't Marvel then it AIN'T Marvel.

P.S. I'll be glad if I'm wrong as 70's and 80's DC was my thing but sadly I'm never wrong in cases where I'd benefit fiscally for being so.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, MAR1979 said:

Thing is C and D level Marvel Characters are pretty much equivalent to B+ Level DC characters.  Booster is a C+, perhaps a B level DC to some, so at best a Marvel D or E level Character :) All need to think twice before "investing" in Booster books.  Currently Booster 1 1986 is down nearly 50% off itspandemic highs and it took some recent Gunn chatter to get it back to even that feeble level.  Once that subsides it will continue it's March back to 2 figure level.  Bottom line if it ain't Marvel then it AIN'T Marvel.

P.S. I'll be glad if I'm wrong as 70's and 80's DC was my thing but sadly I'm never wrong in cases where I'd benefit fiscally for being so.

Not at all suggesting some major investment, merely that he’ll have his brief moment in the pop culture sun in some future DC/Warner project. As to investment decisions regarding that, to each their own but my opinion is you’re right about a DC B-lister not having same upside as a Marvel B-lister, barring some unforeseen drastically successful happening in the future. My analogy is simply that they hold similar places in their respective stables. But those roles are not equal, as you said.

Will BG got a brief moment in the spotlight again? Sure. Will it be a good investment decision to try to wait on it and time that window? Ya better be pretty precise timing-wise if you’re going to run that play in an effort to “capitalize.” That’s my more detailed two cents.

My central point was their relative place in their respective universes, but that’s not investment advice. Heck, Moon Knight (and I like the character) was overpriced for many years before they did something with him. WWBN 32 hasn’t been a true sleeper for a long while. But I don’t mean to slip into Bronze so much as clarify the limits of my analogy. 

So Booster G is currently hot and selling for above pandemic prices the last 2-3 days. Cool that a post Bronze DC non Bat related book is doing this but it wont last.

If you got them to sell do it NOW!  Its high Census Pop DC Copper after all

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Booster Gold 1 (2/86, D.C. Comics)
            1st appearance of Booster Gold, Skeets & Blackguard.
Universal 1,736 9.32     452 536 274 172 105 70 43 27 22 14 5 6 7   1 1 1            
 2. Booster Gold 1 (2/86, D.C. Comics) Signature 142 9.03     25 29 30 9 13 13 8 6 4 2 1 2                    

In my own personal supply demand equation: 477 total 1986 DC's in 9.8 IMHO equals 4777 Marvel's

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, kimik said:

A decent range of Copper titles are selling well right now, provided they are in high grade.

Other than key of key's (Stuff like early TMNT and ASM300), outliers and rarities or "variants" (like CPV's), Copper again sells well only if High Grade .  Very few collectors have interest in Coppers when below 9.8 except for Keys, and Keys under 9.6 interest is very very low.

The Social Media Crowd and others who jumped on the pandemic book bandwagon have left or are leaving the the hobby in droves after taking ROI hits were the fools/rubes/suckers/neophytes who were picking up Copper under 9.6 thinking it was an investment. With them gone Copper interest remains in only highest grade or raw reading copies.  Comics are now so 2021 to the folks who propped up the non high grade copper market and they do return it will be measuring in decades.

BTW what do you mean by Copper titles selling well?  If it refers to moving at a moderate rate if high grade and priced competitively for current market then I agree.  IMHO stuff like ASM or 80's X-Men is not an indicator of market health.

P.S. I stopped purchasing low grade reading copies of pretty much everything about 12 years back. Why search and hunt when with a few mouse clicks or press on my tablets i can find 99% of anything i want to read. I get some crave the tactile-ness  of holding the book to read but with my reading vision its so much easier to enlarge panels as needed. Not to mention life is too short to have to spend my time hunting down low grade copies of everything I want to read. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/5/2023 at 12:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Other than key of key's (Stuff like early TMNT and ASM300), outliers and rarities or "variants" (like CPV's), Copper again sells well only if High Grade .  Very few collectors have interest in Coppers when below 9.8 except for Keys, and Keys under 9.6 interest is very very low.

The Social Media Crowd and others who jumped on the pandemic book bandwagon have left or are leaving the the hobby in droves after taking ROI hits were the fools/rubes/suckers/neophytes who were picking up Copper under 9.6 thinking it was an investment. With them gone Copper interest remains in only highest grade or raw reading copies.  Comics are now so 2021 to the folks who propped up the non high grade copper market and they do return it will be measuring in decades.

BTW what do you mean by Copper titles selling well?  If it refers to moving at a moderate rate if high grade and priced competitively for current market then I agree.  IMHO stuff like ASM or 80's X-Men is not an indicator of market health.

P.S. I stopped purchasing low grade reading copies of pretty much everything about 12 years back. Why search and hunt when with a few mouse clicks or press on my tablets i can find 99% of anything i want to read. I get some crave the tactile-ness  of holding the book to read but with my reading vision its so much easier to enlarge panels as needed. Not to mention life is too short to have to spend my time hunting down low grade copies of everything I want to read. 

The nice thing for those of us in it for the long haul is that when the speculators bail… it’s because they can’t find buyers. So it goes into dollar bins and gets beat up or gets tossed entirely. And the extant copies become more rare. Happens for every age with each bust cycle…

On 2/5/2023 at 9:04 AM, MAR1979 said:

It's very comforting to me that we agree on very little about anything. :yeehaw:

On 2/5/2023 at 10:04 AM, MAR1979 said:

Um......based on real sales at shows since 2018, there are plenty of Copper collectors outside of the 9.8 collectors. They are buying VF or better raw books to build runs. The suckers who were speculating on Copper were the 9.8 crowd, not the collectors buying 9.6 and lower grade copies. Those grades never really spiked.

I am selling all sorts of Marvel, DC, Indie copper books at shows, from titles I consider drek (e.g. Groo - I keep selling what I add to boxes at above guide) to ASM/Batman/X-Men. Despite the massive print runs relative to today, most copies at LCSs are FN-ish in grade as 1) people used to read books back then and 2) most stores that were around back then have long since cleaned out their back stock (that may not have even been bagged so the copies had storage damage to begin with). VF or better copies sell well when bagged & boarded and priced/graded accurately. Copper books are hitting 40 years old now - they are considered vintage by collectors in their 20s, and there are more out there than most people realize.

Like to add, I for one am glad to see a mediocre at best 1980s DC book gettin' some love. I sincerely hope Booster Gold #1 rises to $1200 or more, in CGC 9.8 so that when it drops like anchor in shallow waters I can mock the moe ron's who paid that much coin for it. Then say the same myself for holding on to mine due only to my self imposed policy on not selling comics

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/6/2023 at 4:35 AM, MAR1979 said:

Like to add, I for one am glad to see a mediocre at best 1980s DC book gettin' some love. I sincerely hope Booster Gold #1 rises to $1200 or more, in CGC 9.8 so that when it drops like anchor in shallow waters I can mock the moe ron's who paid that much coin for it. Then say the same myself for holding on to mine due only to my self imposed policy on not selling comics

We need a "dog chasing its own butt" emoji . . . :roflmao: