• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,810 posts in this topic

On 2/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, kimik said:

Um......based on real sales at shows since 2018, there are plenty of Copper collectors outside of the 9.8 collectors. They are buying VF or better raw books to build runs. The suckers who were speculating on Copper were the 9.8 crowd, not the collectors buying 9.6 and lower grade copies. Those grades never really spiked.

I am selling all sorts of Marvel, DC, Indie copper books at shows, from titles I consider drek (e.g. Groo - I keep selling what I add to boxes at above guide) to ASM/Batman/X-Men. Despite the massive print runs relative to today, most copies at LCSs are FN-ish in grade as 1) people used to read books back then and 2) most stores that were around back then have long since cleaned out their back stock (that may not have even been bagged so the copies had storage damage to begin with). VF or better copies sell well when bagged & boarded and priced/graded accurately. Copper books are hitting 40 years old now - they are considered vintage by collectors in their 20s, and there are more out there than most people realize.

Early CA books are roughly the same age as mid-40s GA books were when I was collecting in the early CA

On 2/5/2023 at 10:17 PM, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

The vast majority of collectors are absolutely not focused on 9.8(+) grades. There is high demand for a lot of Copper stuff, but most prices are fairly low because there is also significant supply.

I can only assume he means "paying a big premium"

On 2/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, 1Cool said:

Because one copy recently sold for crazy money but all other copies have sold for a few dollars.  Sounds smoking hot!

Thor 385 has sold well for a long time. I don't know why, it has an ugly cover, but these Hulk classic battle covers seem to do well.

On 2/7/2023 at 2:20 AM, the blob said:

Early CA books are roughly the same age as mid-40s GA books were when I was collecting in the early CA

The big difference, of course, is that the Golden Age books were largely tossed away as disposable entertainment (or recycled to be used for the war effort in some way), and by the time the Copper Age rolled around, collecting them as a hobby was in full swing and many people preserved them in top condition.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The big difference, of course, is that the Golden Age books were largely tossed away as disposable entertainment (or recycled to be used for the war effort in some way), and by the time the Copper Age rolled around, collecting them as a hobby was in full swing and many people preserved them in top condition.

They think they stored them in top condition. Most CA collections I am seeing now are VFish on average, and that includes store backstock I have been offered.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:10 PM, kimik said:

They think they stored them in top condition. Most CA collections I am seeing now are VFish on average, and that includes store backstock I have been offered.

Fair enough. Store backstock I can definitely understand because customers aren't so keen to ensure maintaining the condition of the books that they're not interested in buying, and books in box that are part empty tend to get bent if they're leaning over. But certainly far more attention was paid to the condition than people did 20-40 years prior.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Fair enough. Store backstock I can definitely understand because customers aren't so keen to ensure maintaining the condition of the books that they're not interested in buying, and books in box that are part empty tend to get bent if they're leaning over. But certainly far more attention was paid to the condition than people did 20-40 years prior.

I am finding that most stores either just stuffed longs with unbagged books or bagged the books individually but without boards to save space. In most cases the boxes were not full and tight, so they have spine bends/creases or corner bends in addition to damaged top edges from being thumbed through occasionally. The only stores I have had luck with are those that still had sealed cases from the 80s. 

I agree with you that more people looked after their books in the 80s than 20-40 years earlier, but grading was also much looser back then than it is today. A lot of "NM" books from back then are really VF/VF+.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:24 PM, the blob said:

Thor 385 has sold well for a long time. I don't know why, it has an ugly cover, but these Hulk classic battle covers seem to do well.

Also, first Erik Larsen work at Marvel. And oddly, scripted by Stan Lee.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Except, apparently, the Disney ducks books, someone kept most of those

On 2/6/2023 at 2:52 PM, 1Cool said:

Because one copy recently sold for crazy money but all other copies have sold for a few dollars.  Sounds smoking hot!

Someone needs another pee and vinegar to improve his disposition.:baiting:

Edited by divad

On 2/6/2023 at 11:20 PM, the blob said:

Is it just me or is this just half a thought? . . . maybe just a burp now that I read it again. :headpat:

On 2/8/2023 at 1:26 AM, divad said:

Someone needs another pee and vinegar to improve his disposition.:baiting:

I’ve heard of someone being full of pee and vinegar but I’ve not heard your version before.  We have been doing this for well over a decade.  You typically post up a handful of books that you sold for high dollars and then I say it doesn’t make any of them hot books (I don’t think any have really even become hot which is surprising).  I guess we at least are consistent over the years.

Edited by 1Cool

On 2/7/2023 at 2:24 AM, the blob said:

Also a pretty long, full slugfest between the two. Not all of their fights amount to much (see Hulk 255). This one, Defenders 10, and their first one-on-one brawl, JIM 112, are the only extensive ones that I recall off the top of my head.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:17 PM, HouseofComics.Com said:

Also, first Erik Larsen work at Marvel. And oddly, scripted by Stan Lee.

Had to go look through my collection on why I don't remember this book. I'm a Larsen fan but teaming a young Larsen with Vince Colletta is just about the ugliest work I have ever seen in a Marvel book ( that includes the Frank Robbins Captain America mess of a run).