• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jla 1 cgc 9.2 $35K ???!!!!!!!!!!

52 posts in this topic

I don't know if DCs are, on the whole, surpassing Marvels. I think it's a case of there being fewer submitted and the die hard DC collectors are just like the Marvel collectors in that they're willing to pony up when the books become available. Most HG DC collectors I know have their own collections and they have no interest selling now or at any time during the near future. I've been getting more and more into DCs as I've been looking for something different -- although I love Marvels, I feel less and less attached to the company -- their history means less because right now Marvel is just destroying their company, so my love of the Marvel characters is down right now. I've been enjoying DC lately, so I've decided to redirect my efforts towards aquiring those books -- and it's been a lot tougher than I thought.

I'm amazed by this sale though.

I've always loved DC books, and from a collecting standpoint, more rewarding, since finding that diamond in the rough is tougher in general than Marvel equivalents. The fact I collect horror books makes it even tougher--and more rewarding. Welcome aboard!

The long-time collector who would never have considered parting with his raw NM JLA 1 for $10,000 starts thinking differently when it's $50,000+. That there's real money!

Please adopt me. 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gifthumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif You know what I mean, though. I don't think $10K can even buy a new car these days, even a Hyundai, whereas for $50K you're into a decent new BMW. Big difference in perception for the long-time collector.

these recent 9.4 DC sales are staggering and sudden, like out of the blue sales cause there havent been any sales (or comparable books) yet to surface. Theres been no run-up to these levels have there??

There's been a sort of run-up. The April Heritage auctions featured a 9.2 JLA 1, which went for $27,600, and a 9.2 Flash 105 which went for $29,900. These represented pretty huge jumps over the highest prices previously reported for these 2 books in this grade.

If you use those prices as a benchmark and double them to get a 9.4 valuation, then a 9.4 JLA 1 would be $55,200 and a 9.4 Flash 105 would be $59,800, which comes out to $115,000. So the $125K price, if real, represents a further premium on top of that. Scary.

youre right. Those were a solid precedent, and looks like the seller did the math just as you say. Twice the 9.2 record sales plus a little extra on top.

But even those sales were barely 4 months ago! It took HG SA DC keys all of 4 months to surpass Marvel SA keys !! Can you say "pent-up demand" boys and girls??

There has always been steady demand for hi-grade SA DCs, just no supply on the open market. Talk to any LCS or comicon dealer. Of all the collections they've bought the last 10 yrs, only 10% may be DC. U always get offered boxes of overstocked Marvels.

Over the next 3 years, I do not ever expect SA DC keys in say 8.5 or higher to ever exceed 20% of the census of comparable SA Marvel keys in 9.0 or higher.

I agree... More will come out, especially as prices like these happen. But Im one of us who believe when all is said and done there will be fewer HG DC SA keys than Marvels. They are older by a few years, came out in a less comics aware time, and werent number 1 issues, whicjh always atttract buyer/hoarders (not in caseloads of course, but we see many examples of guys back then buying every number one magazine and comic book.)

More will come out, especially as prices like these happen. But Im one of us who believe when all is said and done there will be fewer HG DC SA keys than Marvels.

Of course there will be, I don't think any knowledgable collector will doubt that. The Supply / Demand ratio as compared to Marvel is a whole different ball game though.

More will come out, especially as prices like these happen. But Im one of us who believe when all is said and done there will be fewer HG DC SA keys than Marvels.

Of course there will be, I don't think any knowledgable collector will doubt that. The Supply / Demand ratio as compared to Marvel is a whole different ball game though.

yup. Marvel's always been more popular as witness the past few years when only Marvels were selling like hotcakes. I ve thought the pendulum would swing to DCs pricewise after Marvel's runup... but not this fast and dramatically.

there have ben numerous threads with many possible scenarios. hers a few of them:

DC SA keys were 3 to 5 years earlier than Marvels, so they fell in that dark age after the mid 50s. Very few collectors, little excitement.

DC SA keys tended to be odd numbered issues, like 105, 4, 225 etc so the "important" issues were harde to pick out by first issue collectors.

And they dont turn up for sale as often because they tend to stay locked up in DC collections longer.

hows that for a start.