• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors would pay $27K for a JLA #1 9.2?

94 posts in this topic

Show of hands. Answer this honestly. You are being offered a CGC 9.2 JLA#1 for $27,000.00

If you chose to buy it, you would have to write out a check for $27,000. Would you write that check?

What about part-trade, part-cash? confused-smiley-013.gif

Show of hands. Answer this honestly. You are being offered a CGC 9.2 JLA#1 for $27,000.00

If you chose to buy it, you would have to write out a check for $27,000. Would you write that check?

Well, if i had the money and it was like the Heritage 9.2 then i probably would buy being a DC man.

The answer for me is no. There are too many 9.2 copies and 9.4 copies of JLA 1 to merit that kind of multiple. Plus, the importance of JLA 1 pales in comparison with B&B 28. In my mind, B&B 28 and JLA 1 should be priced at a differential similar to AF 15 vs. ASM 1 (I believe a 9.4 AF 15 would go for roughly 2X the price of a 9.4 ASM 1 right now). Therefore, based on the $60K price realized for a 9.4 B&B 28 at the Heritage April auction, I think a 9.4 JLA 1 would at most merit a $30K price tag and therefore a 9.2 copy would merit at most $15k.

But, I have it on good authority that the reserve posted by the seller of the Heritage copy was in the neighborhood of what you sold your copy for last year, so there were several individuals out there bidding the book well past $12K and up to $27K. So my guess is there are at least 2 people out there, beside the winner, who would currently be willing to pay around $27K for a 9.2 JLA 1.

So what`s the story, Steve, you got some kind of axe to grind with the seller(s) of either the Comiclink 9.2 JLA 1 or 9.4 JLA 1? I can`t recall the last time I saw a major dealer publicly disparage a record price for a comic.

Comiclink's pricing IS ridiculous for some issues.

They have a CGC Atomic Comics #1 9.4 (Green Publishing, 1946, Cover Swipe from Detective #8) NON-Pedigree.

All for the low-low price of ... $4,650

Heritage sold a VF/NM for $800.

I agree with most of the points you made in your post.

No, I have no axe to grind. However, this is my point:

The market is filled with numerous buyers looking to purchase high quality books. In pretty much all cases, they are looking those books at prices they can mentally justify.

Every so often, potential sellers of high quality books are handed an illusion on a silver platter. This illusion tells them that there are lots and lots of buyers out there looking to pay "any price" for high grade keys. 5 x guide-probably! 20x guide-maybe!

Books then come on the market with insane prices. The actual buyers stare at these prices with disbelief. And then walk away.

The end result is no sale. Nothing is sold and nothing is bought. It is just gawked at. That is not a market.

This is coming from someone who has amazing SA DC's in his collection. A killer set of JLA with a perfect #1.

Steve

If it was a soft 9.2 I wouldnt bother. If it was a very solid 9.2 leaning more towards 9.4 I would get the book. I've been known too spend a little crazily. But only on very well graded book's.

Devil's advocate: What if the seller is not a "dealer" like you, but a collector who is tired of having his money tied up in this book and just wants to unload at the most profit possible, so he sets it high in the off chance that someone will pick it up at that price? confused-smiley-013.gif There is nothing worse than having your books sell on the cheap and then see someone flip it a month, 3 months, a year down the road for exponentially more. It makes you feel gipped.

Are we begrudging the right of the individual seller to set his price at where he wants too? If it doesn't sell, maybe he'll hold onto it longer or he'll adjust the price accordingly by lowering it? Regardless of his decision, I don't see what the big deal is... you are talking about a fairly high dollar book here, but I can apply this to books that sell in the 2-3 figure range as well. I don't see the development of the market being a priority or even an interest here for the seller; just wants to sell off his books for as much profit he can get.

Books then come on the market with insane prices. The actual buyers stare at these prices with disbelief. And then walk away.

The end result is no sale. Nothing is sold and nothing is bought. It is just gawked at. That is not a market.

Why is it not a market? It's just a market with an extremely slow turnover. Since the Internet has made marketing a book like this to a mass audience cheap and sometimes free, I don't see what the problem is.

I'm not sure there are much more than a dozen collectors out there that have both the desire and the cash for this sort of book.If the seller is willing to go half cash,half trade- the number of potential buyers might go up into the neighborhood of three figures.If the book is priced right,someone might even buy a second copy,but the market at this level is very limited.

I wouldn't tie up $27,000 for this book. BB28 Yes,but not this one.