• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors would pay $27K for a JLA #1 9.2?

94 posts in this topic

Looks better than a 9.4 to me. Another old label that needs to be resubbed?

I see non-color-breaking stress near the DC logo. It's a gorgeous cover though, no?

are ALL pulled staple book scoming back as QUALIFIED?

I dont understand the special signifucance of that....

How is a pulled staple different than any other printing defect???

A pulled staple isn't usually a printing defect. It's a major handling defect that would drop the grade way down on an otherwise ultra high grade book. That's the classic use for the green label.

I dont think its a handling issue. The book was manufactured in such a way that the cover pulles away upon opening the book (and sometimes right off the newstands). Its not caused by a reader yanking the cover through the staples!! So its a printing defect to me. Havent you seen NM unread book swith a pulled staple?? I have. Nobody "pulled the cover off the pages." The stapling process cut thru the cover stock when it was stamped/stapled.

I dont think its a handling issue. The book was manufactured in such a way that the cover pulles away upon opening the book (and sometimes right off the newstands). Its not caused by a reader yanking the cover through the staples!! So its a printing defect to me. Havent you seen NM unread book swith a pulled staple?? I have. Nobody "pulled the cover off the pages." The stapling process cut thru the cover stock when it was stamped/stapled.

Interesting. I always believed that it was from the staples pulling through the cover from handling.

well of course you CAN pull the cover off. but Im referring to a 9.4 comic, never read, which was either created off the press already pulled theru , or so prone to it that the mere opening of the cover finished the job of separating the cover from the interior. . A low grade copy with a pulled staple was certainly over-loved by some rough trade young reader! blush.gif

the copies Im describing have a very clean "sliced cover" beneath the staple that shows no sign of forcing.

I've seen those too. Since I wasn't buying them off the newsstand in the 60s, I just assumed that it was handling related since I've never seen a book on the newsstand/LCS rack since I started buying comics in 1979-80 or so that had a detached top staple while on the rack. confused-smiley-013.gif

this is my point:

The market is filled with numerous buyers looking to purchase high quality books. In pretty much all cases, they are looking those books at prices they can mentally justify.

Every so often, potential sellers of high quality books are handed an illusion on a silver platter. This illusion tells them that there are lots and lots of buyers out there looking to pay "any price" for high grade keys. 5 x guide-probably! 20x guide-maybe!

Books then come on the market with insane prices. The actual buyers stare at these prices with disbelief. And then walk away.

The end result is no sale. Nothing is sold and nothing is bought. It is just gawked at. That is not a market.

Steve

Just to get this thread back on topic again.

Steve, I am a little bit surprised at your reaction here. To me, it's like a case of the kettle calling the pot black. I still remember that Metro has on occasion charged what seem to be extremely high prices for books which they deemed to be special. Maybe the seller feels that this is a very special book to him and over time, will turn out to be a great buy for the eventual purchaser of the book.

For example, during the GA frenzy back in 1995, did you not purchased the OS copy of Terrific Comics #5 from Diamond during their gallery opening. I believe the purchase price was $600 for a book with a top guide around $400. This book was then listed for sale at over $6,000 or 10X what you had paid for the book or 15X guide. It was a hot subject in the much smaller GA market then and I believe sat unsold for a long period of time (or do you still have it now). Looking back on it now, I guess it would have turn out okay if you discount opportunity cost since the guide has caught up to it after 10 years.

Other less extreme examples included classic GA cover books in roughly VF/NM condition being offered for sale around the $3,000 range when they guided out around $600 to $800 in top guide. These included some of the early Fox books and others such as Jumbo #10 and some of the early Hit Comics. Actually, a lot of these ones turned out to be good deals for the eventual buyers after only a few years.

Although the prices appeared to be rather high at the time, I believe there was absolutely nothing wrong with you asking them, just like I believe there is nothing wrong with the current seller asking $27K for a JLA #1. It's up to the market and the eventual purchaser to decide if this is a fair price or not.

The book was manufactured in such a way that the cover pulles away upon opening the book (and sometimes right off the newstands). Its not caused by a reader yanking the cover through the staples!!

Aman I think you are confused here. This book has not been given a Green label because of pulled staples (which IS a printing defect) but for a cover detatched from the staples (which ISN'T a printing defect).

wait, doesnt the term "pulled staple" refer to the cover coming loose from the staple? Thats what Im talking about. It doesnt mean that the staple itself has been pulled out, does it?

If so, it would not be possible to have a 9.4 comic with the cover detached from the staple UNLESS it was manufactured in such a way that the staple had cut thru the cover . Other wise ALL books wouyld come loose once they are read. You cant yank the cover out of a perfectly stapled comic and leave it in 9.4 condition otherwise can you?