• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROYAL NATION - LONDON - Yesterday!!!!!

35 posts in this topic

Cream Eggs: one day I'll tell you all the famous "cream" in the cream egg anecdote. Hey, I was young and debauched!

Back to comics - there really ought to be some kind of PROFESSIONAL organised event - that isn't in Bristol - or run by Kev "Children's TV Presenter" Sufferedland.

My wife, a lady unconvinced by the unwashed fanboy masses came with me to the auction at Bristol - however, within 5 minutes, any chance of me maintaining that comic collectors were in reality cool, well-adjusted and non-geeky dissapeared the moment Mike Fatbloke and cronies began their drivel-fest.

As I always say - bring back UKCAK!

But if I'm coming, it's PROPER food and PROPER beer (no toad-in-the-hole monstrosities, no Newcastle "Broon" ale, no cider-[!@#%^&^]....)

I'm Belgian, we have culinary standards.... sign-rantpost.gif

You may have a point about the beer (I had a great time in Bruges / Brugge visiting a couple of the breweries and sampling the endless quality ale) but as for "Toad in the hole monstrosities", where you been, matey?

Maybe our culinary standards were laughable thirty years ago, but this is London, remember. We've got more quality restaurants than anywhere else in Europe now (admittedly they're expensive) mainly due to the influx of continental chefs setting up here. So don't worry, there won't be any toad-in-the-hole, bangers and mash, black pudding, chip butties, mushy peas, fry-ups and vegetables that have been boiled to death. Away with the stereotypes!!!!

Strange that you like cream eggs, btw. I always assumed that Belgium had the finest chocolates in the world (and indeed, they are very good). I'm surprised you've taken a shine to our inferior, low percentage cocoa "vegelate" as the EU witheringly refers to it. smirk.gif

Anyway, there should be a Forum dinner in London - it'd be cool to meet you and Oz. Do you guys like Indian food? tongue.gif

You may have a point about the beer (I had a great time in Bruges / Brugge visiting a couple of the breweries and sampling the endless quality ale) but as for "Toad in the hole monstrosities", where you been, matey?

" May have a point ??"

893whatthe.gif

Nobody really wants to visit Belgium, but once they're here, sampling our beers...most don't want to leave. Bruges is pretty nice, in a cobbled-stones-will-break-your-neck kinda way...I went to school there and it's where I also get my weekly dose of new comics. Didn't Stephen Fry use it as a hideout during his lost weekend a few years ago...

Maybe our culinary standards were laughable thirty years ago, but this is London, remember. We've got more quality restaurants than anywhere else in Europe now (admittedly they're expensive) mainly due to the influx of continental chefs setting up here. So don't worry, there won't be any toad-in-the-hole, bangers and mash, black pudding, chip butties, mushy peas, fry-ups and vegetables that have been boiled to death. Away with the stereotypes!!!!

Oh, I've seen Jamie on the box, and I know you lot don't boil everything anymore, but for some reason whenever I'm in the UK (or Ireland, where it's even worse) people tend to drag me to the pub and for some reason we end up staying there for the best part of the day and inevitably end up eating pub food every sodding time sign-rantpost.gif

Strange that you like cream eggs, btw. I always assumed that Belgium had the finest chocolates in the world (and indeed, they are very good). I'm surprised you've taken a shine to our inferior, low percentage cocoa "vegelate" as the EU witheringly refers to it. smirk.gif

It gets worse...I worked for a Belgian chocolate importer in the US for years (translating, setting up meetings etc...), my father in law manages a huge (fresh) bakery and makes his own chocolate (which I get in huge amounts for free) and I still go mad for some (can't resist them) Cadburry Creme Eggs....

I've been mad for them since I was a nipper, my favorite sweet in the world...eventhough they are NOT chocolate products devil.gif

Anyway, there should be a Forum dinner in London - it'd be cool to meet you and Oz.

Well, it would be nice, I've never met anyone who also collects US comics...ever

I'm pretty sure I'm the only Silver & Bronze age Collector in the country...

And we'd see who's the better pocket-pool player as well.... 27_laughing.gif

Do you guys like Indian food? tongue.gif

I'm like John Major...I'll eat Curry every day.... shocked.gifacclaim.gif

Cream Eggs: one day I'll tell you all the famous "cream" in the cream egg anecdote. Hey, I was young and debauched!

Back to comics - there really ought to be some kind of PROFESSIONAL organised event - that isn't in Bristol - or run by Kev "Children's TV Presenter" Sufferedland.

My wife, a lady unconvinced by the unwashed fanboy masses came with me to the auction at Bristol - however, within 5 minutes, any chance of me maintaining that comic collectors were in reality cool, well-adjusted and non-geeky dissapeared the moment Mike Fatbloke and cronies began their drivel-fest.

As I always say - bring back UKCAK!

Bristol is pretty underwhelming - it's just a glorified comic mart with a few panels, less dealers, one token guest from the U.S. and an awards ceremony that drags on forever. Amazing that there isn't a proper show in London. I'd say Memorabilia has undermined such an enterprise.

As for "Mike Fatbloke", 27_laughing.gif.

Wasn't there some sort of Comic Convention last November in London organised by the people who do the Bristol event ( Love going to Bristol by the way great city ).

I seem to remember seeing a photo of Minor Celebrity Jonathan Ross attending .

Will there be another one this year ?

I go to Bristol cause my wife and I spend a relaxing week-end away .

But I was hoping to spend some serious money at a big National London show later on in the year .

Any info would be great !