• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yippee two of my books got free CVA stickers!

53 posts in this topic

I thought the CVA stickers are given to books with exceptional EYE appeal for the given grade. With that being the criteria, hidden defects don't matter so much in their awarding of exceptional.

Yes, you are right. But that is where the scam lies. The entire premise of their product is to create a false sense of value. A nice looking 9.0 is not worth any more than a date-stamped 9.0. Perhaps some people prefer it, but the value is the same.

The put stickers on books that are not "exceptional" and they give their "service" away for free at auction - just to put stickers on books to give the appearance of validity.

Providing a service that attemps to do something that only blind people can't do - is pretty much on the same level of ethics as aluminum siding salesmen bilking elderly people out of their social security checks.

It's not so much a scam as it is a grift. CVA swindles people out of their money by attempting to convince them they do something of legitimate value.

"The name's Lanely! Lyle Lanely. And I come before you good Boardies tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a CBR idea..."

9f10-big.jpg

MONORAIL!

You'd think a group that is so focused on how well something presents would try to put the sticker on straight.

Best post of the day! I can stop reading now.

I know, when I saw the sticker on sloppily put on, I almost fell out of my chair!

Here is another really bright one, well centered that didnt make the cut. This collection I found was a bunch of high grade DC's all from 1966-1967. There were not many on census, I'm not sure if that is because DC's are not slabbed very often or if DC's are truly rare.

House of Mystery 145 9.2

IM actually surprised that you cant sort the auction by books that have gotten CVAed.

Yes I was looking for this feature for CVA gold books. I want to see the standards for those.

Here's another bright one that didnt make the cva cut but it looks like the bidders arent dumb; they can see it is totally sweet and have already bid it up without the cva sticker:

Action 334

IM actually surprised that you cant sort the auction by books that have gotten CVAed.

Yes I was looking for this feature for CVA gold books. I want to see the standards for those.

Here's another bright one that didnt make the cva cut but it looks like the bidders arent dumb; they can see it is totally sweet and have already bid it up without the cva sticker:

Action 334

Any small amount of off centering and no sticker... (maybe they're watching people laugh at some of the looser CVAed books)

I'm thinking cva is kinda random and possibly bogus (the haters might be right cva is a gimmick) when these three books of mine didnt get stickers.... they are mind blowingly bright in person

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

This one is super bright too, but I think the miswrap killed the CVA chances. I think 2 months ago CVA took a lot of heat for CVA-ing books with miswraps... This book is SWEET...

Metal Men 25 9.6

I think PQ is the issue on the Metamorpho (arent they only stickering White PQ books?), and While the Action is White PQ, it does look like it is the tiniest bit off centered (can see a little white along the spine near the bottom quarter which makes me think its a bit off centered).

All I can guess with your OAAW is that they are being strict about the White PQ only for SA and later... otherwise that looks like a nicely centered book!

Supposedly books getting stickered are the best presenting versions, so White PQ, perfectly centered (we've already seen some failure in this area), and so on...

Can you show me where you read CVA is only putting stickers on books with white pages? I don't think this is correct. In fact on the CVA site they have a "gallery" and two of the books (Captain America # 33 and Silver Surfer # 4) have page qualities of "off white to white".

It is no real big deal, but I don't want people to come away with the impression CVA should be accorded more legitimacy than they are due. In my opinion, CVA is simply yet another way to separate fools from their money.

I'm thinking cva is kinda random and possibly bogus (the haters might be right cva is a gimmick) when these three books of mine didnt get stickers.... they are mind blowingly bright in person

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

This one is super bright too, but I think the miswrap killed the CVA chances. I think 2 months ago CVA took a lot of heat for CVA-ing books with miswraps... This book is SWEET...

Metal Men 25 9.6

I think PQ is the issue on the Metamorpho (arent they only stickering White PQ books?), and While the Action is White PQ, it does look like it is the tiniest bit off centered (can see a little white along the spine near the bottom quarter which makes me think its a bit off centered).

All I can guess with your OAAW is that they are being strict about the White PQ only for SA and later... otherwise that looks like a nicely centered book!

Supposedly books getting stickered are the best presenting versions, so White PQ, perfectly centered (we've already seen some failure in this area), and so on...

Can you show me where you read CVA is only putting stickers on books with white pages? I don't think this is correct. In fact on the CVA site they have a "gallery" and two of the books (Captain America # 33 and Silver Surfer # 4) have page qualities of "off white to white".

It is no real big deal, but I don't want people to come away with the impression CVA should be accorded more legitimacy than they are due. In my opinion, CVA is simply yet another way to separate fools from their money.

I cant even remember where I read that, or if it was just conjecture during the first round of CVA chatter... maybe it was the gold label would only be on White PQ? ugh... I dont think it does anything to validate them (in fact it furthers the idea that there's no point for CVA, since the book has already been PQ evaluated and its right there on the CGC label!)

Metamorpho 11 9.4

Our Army at War 157 9.2

Action 333 9.4 white

Metal Men 25 9.6

I cant even remember where I read that, or if it was just conjecture during the first round of CVA chatter... maybe it was the gold label would only be on White PQ? ugh... I dont think it does anything to validate them (in fact it furthers the idea that there's no point for CVA, since the book has already been PQ evaluated and its right there on the CGC label!)

Yeah, I agree (thumbs u

I thought the CVA stickers are given to books with exceptional EYE appeal for the given grade. With that being the criteria, hidden defects don't matter so much in their awarding of exceptional.

Yes, you are right. But that is where the scam lies. The entire premise of their product is to create a false sense of value. A nice looking 9.0 is not worth any more than a date-stamped 9.0. Perhaps some people prefer it, but the value is the same.

The put stickers on books that are not "exceptional" and they give their "service" away for free at auction - just to put stickers on books to give the appearance of validity.

Providing a service that attemps to do something that only blind people can't do - is pretty much on the same level of ethics as aluminum siding salesmen bilking elderly people out of their social security checks.

It's not so much a scam as it is a grift. CVA swindles people out of their money by attempting to convince them they do something of legitimate value.

"The name's Lanely! Lyle Lanely. And I come before you good Boardies tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a CBR idea..."

9f10-big.jpg

MONORAIL!

We don't disagree. I love your statement that CVA provides a service that only blind people can't do. I've visited their website and they charge a lot to do nothing but look at a book and decide if it has good eye appeal for the grade. I've copied and pasted their prices below. Talk about a racket!

Service Max Value Submission Fee (per book) Turnaround est.

Pre-Screen no limit $2.00 n/a

Economy $300 $12.00 20 days

Standard $1000 $25.00 15 days

Express $3000 $35.00 5 days

High Value no limit 1.5% of declared value ($100 min./$3000 max.) 3 days

Modern (1980-present) $200 $8.00 15 days

Expedited no limit +$5 per book any tier 5 days

$50 minimum charge per invoice. All Turnaround estimates are business days

My only "positive" - if you can call it that - observation is that ComicLink doesn't provide back cover scans and doesn't take returns of CGC graded books. I've purchased several books there over the years in their auctions that were disappointing in hand. So CVA might offer some assuance that it isn't a 9.4 book with a 8.0 back cover. That is more a sad comment on CL than a positive for CVA. CL should post back cover scans and they should note significant defects that don't show in the scan but you can see with book in hand.