• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOD 10 future viability

43 posts in this topic

I was wondering what you all thought about this.

It pretty got hot and expensive because of the first Blade appearance, which was important because of the movies.

Even if they make 1 more(50/50 chance, I guess), can this book possibly hold it's value moving forward?

The way I see it, Blade is still a very minor character in the marvel Universe, and I don't see how this book can appreciate much more. But it does have the relative popularity of TOD back issues going for it(Marvel horror fans), and the sort of terminal velocity that seems to strike some books when they get hot(everyone buying it to resell it to the next guy who wants to do the same thing).

I think maybe it may hold its value for awhile, but I think it has peaked and may be on its way down.

Thoughts?

" but I think it has peaked and may be on its way down"

That's pretty much where I stand on this book. Outside of the movies, there isn't really anything that'll keep this book going. Being tough in high grade(?) or even having a loyal follwing isn't enough to keep prices climbing. I put it in the same catagory as most minor keys. It will fluctuate, but probably not have any sort of sustainable growth in the future.

Yeh but then you'd have to explain why the Horror books do well.. Dracula still sells solidly, Werewolf by Night does well, just b/c the character isn't major doesn't necesarily mean it'll become unknown. There seems to be plenty of horror and obscur book collectors out there. I'd say it's of equal importance as ToD #1, and that book regularly goes for 400 in NM 9.4?

Brian

It may continue commanding a decent price, but I don't see any real growth potential other than the occasional "flash in the pan'".

Good question

I'm contemplating the purchase a 9.6 10 and (2) 9.4 13's for top dollar currently. I would not pay the ask price but have earned some commission which has me leaning towards buying them at a reduced price.

(1) 9.8 sold for $1350...

(1) 9.6 White sold for $675...but that is a history of 1 book.

(5) 9.4's have sold and have been holding value at about $350 for 4 months now with one $450 abberation sale. That's a good sign.. stability in this declining market as additional copies surface is encouraging for the book. We see the opposite on almost everything else that has similar stature and availability.

The #13 has not had a 9.6 yet.. so I'm taking a chance... keeping one and already sold the other to a friend at cost... conditional upon my buying the lot of course.

I'm betting that they hold value, but I don't see a drastic upside... I just want to have them as they are dark and obscure.. so far.

I would begin to get worried if ToD #1 started to crash in price..but really if that can stick around there's really not reason for ToD #10 not to. As I said, it's just as important if not more. And there seems to be plenty of Bronze Marvel horror collectors out there for the minor/major keys.

Brian

As someone that does collect Marvel horror, this is my take....

TOD #10 is overpriced and will stay so until the third movie comes out (they are already looking at making it). Afterwards, the comic is going to drop. Not like a rock mind you but drop far below TOD #1. TOD #1 is a major Marvel Horror key along with MS #2 and maybe MS #5 (though I'd group that more as a general superhero title than horror). TOD #10 is not. I wouldn't be surprised to see CGC 9.6 copies commanding between $150-200 in five years time. shocked.gif

Jim

How is ToD #1 a major key? It's the first appearance of Marvel Dracula..probably about the 50th appearance overall. Decent size print run, so-so cover, nothing to make it a major key except for it's the first issue in a 70 issue series. If ToD 10 goes down, then I wouldn't be surprised if ToD 1 is far behind..

Why exactly do you think ToD 10 is overpriced? It costs about 1/2 of #1, and is the first appearance of a character that has been around for a long time..as well as the subject of two hit movies.

Brian

If you had read what I said....TOD #1 is a major Marvel horror key. Not general Marvel key.

Second, TOD #10 is the first appearance of Blade. Blade. What other impact has he had on the Marvel universe other than being in TOD that gives him any significant contribution to the Marvel mythos? I'll answer for you. None.

First appearance of a character? I could go on and on about characters that had first appearances in the 70s Marvel universe whose issues are considered common. And some are even featured in current Marvel comics.

Granted Blade has a movie...but that's it other than some nostalga value for those that remember the character. The value will not hold after the movie becomes midnight fodder on the obscure cable stations. It will still be higher than surrounding issues but not a premium.

Jim

Remind me what Marvel Dracula did? He appeared in just as many books as Blade and made as "little" of an impact as Blade did. Just b/c he has a series doesn't automatically mean #1 is the best book in the run. Sure Dracula is a horror cornerstone but Marvel's version of the character was so-so at best, and there's hundreds of other depictions of the character out there to pick from in the comic book world.

Much like ToD, Blade had a series..he has had a few mini-series. He's guest appeared in many titles. Was a pretty mid-major character in the early 90's before they cut back all the modern "horrorish" titles.

Brian

So if TOD is such a "so-so" title, why the hell should Blade be considered anything other than a "so-so" character?

You're kind of proving my hypothesis aren't you? tongue.gif

And Blade was far from a mid-major character in his appearances in the 90s. Also, how many times and where has Blade guest-appeared in other titles?

Jim

Just because a character appears in a so-so title means absolutely nothing. Spiderman appeared in a titles like Sleepwalker and Darkhawk, meant absolutely nothing..just that he appeared there. The fact that Blades first app is in ToD is due to the fact that he's a vampire hunter thus what the hell else would he first appear in??

For your last question, he appeared in multiple titles repeatedly including his own..Nightstalkers, Ghost Rider, and a bunch of other short-lived series are ones he regularly appeared in in the 90's..

Brian

Just because a character appears in a so-so title means absolutely nothing. Spiderman appeared in a titles like Sleepwalker and Darkhawk, meant absolutely nothing..just that he appeared there.

TOD was the character's primary title. He didn't appear elsewhere in the 70s and reappeared in a handful of minor, and irrelevent to collectors, shortlived series and mini-series in the 90s. Now you say TOD was a so-so series and there were better interpretations of the character out there. Name one that has the collecting power of TOD. You might not think it's a good title but ALOT of collectors have a different view. That's the reason Blade sells better than it's surrounding TOD issues. Nothing else. Collectors who like the title have a fondness for Blade. But the fondness doesn't supercede what they'll pay for #1, and probably never will, no matter how you try to spin it.

I'm curious...how many copies of this issue do you own that you're willing to keep insisting how important the character is and that it's value will stay high?

For your last question, he appeared in multiple titles repeatedly including his own..Nightstalkers, Ghost Rider, and a bunch of other short-lived series are ones he regularly appeared in in the 90's..

All titles which languish in quarter boxes and can't be given away. He didn't appear in the 70s Ghost Rider.

Jim

I never said it wasn't but at the time it was what was published. Just like I think most of the ToD series after #20 or so is pretty much ho-hum.

And yes, I think that by defending the book on here will somehow make the market jump up by conning all you people into believing what I'm saying so I can unload the 100 copies of this book I have..so I'll go ahead and anyone who wants to PM after hearing this..go ahead and do so, they're all NM and I want 200 dollars each.

Note that was being sarcastic, I'll keep this in mind for any time you attempt to argue for or against a book..that there MUST be an alterior motive for you to think in such a manner.

Brian

" titles like Sleepwalker and Darkhawk"

? These were the BEST books Marvel put out in the 90's!!! grin.gif

lol I just love when people try to discount others opinions by making the claim that person only defends it because they have a stake in the character..in this case, as with every other one, I just enjoy the character. I don't sell books so I have no benefit out of arguing.

Anyways, using this logic since your arguing in favor of ToD #1 that must mean your hoarding the [!@#%^&^] out of the series..

Brian

Here's a general question: would you say that the DC horror titles of the 70 are more collectable / popular than those of Marvel? Personally, I love Ghosts, Withcing Hour, House of Secrets, etc. but TOD doesn't do anything for me.

Thoughts?