• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Post-Modern Comic Book

17 posts in this topic

I considered placing this thread in the Comics General Forum but prefer to raise this question with Modern Age Collectors here- since the Modern collector/reader would have greater insight into the trends and changes that have occurred or are occurring in the Modern Age. Since the Modern Age began approximately 20 years ago (give or take a few), are we still in it?

Have we began to see transitional books that are moving away from the Modern Age to a new or Post-Modern era of comics?

Anyone have a book they could post a book that they believe is an example of a "new" kind of comic book.

If we are still in the Modern Age, do you think there are any trends that may change this? Digital comics?

Any input and/or reference(s) to publications/links related to this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

John

I think the biggest change to comics isn't comics themselves but it is the ways to read and collect them. Twenty years ago the only interaction I had with the comic community was the LCS, the letters column and Wizard. Now I have a whole new class of miscreants to choose from.

Great idea for a thread! :)

Well, the Romans of the Middle Ages didn't know their period will eventually be known as the Byzantine so who knows if we are already post-modern.

I think seeds of the post-modern have been planted already, if not sprouting. Image Comics has made a strong impact on two aspects:

1. Non-big 2 publishers will penetrate the market even more.

2. Sci-fi will be a big hit!!! Yay for me!

:D

I definitely think we are in a new age, and have been for some time.

This is how I, personally, break it down:

Golden Age: 1935 - 1954

Silver Age: 1955 - 1969

Bronze Age: 1970 - 1983

Copper Age: 1984 - 1992

Modern Age: 1993 - 2001 :sick:

Ultra Modern Age: 2002 - Present

The Ultra Modern Age, as I call it, is when production quality started to rise considerably, with advancements in technology giving us better printing and paper quality. Creator owned comics also started becoming much more mainstream. Y The Last Man #1 really kicked this Age off.

2c

I think the biggest change to comics isn't comics themselves but it is the ways to read and collect them. Twenty years ago the only interaction I had with the comic community was the LCS, the letters column and Wizard. Now I have a whole new class of miscreants to choose from.

Indeed. Back when I used to frequent my LCS it was the only place where I could talk about the comics I was reading and find out what others were reading and could recommend. :preach:

With the internet we can also find out how much to flip them for so we can buy 40 copies of the latest Image #1 and 25 copies of the 1:100 variant with 20 printings.

The Ultra Modern Age, as I call it, is when production quality started to rise considerably, with advancements in technology giving us better printing and paper quality. Creator owned comics also started becoming much more mainstream. Y The Last Man #1 really kicked this Age off.

For me I still prefer the old printing methods, something is lost in comic books these days with the shiny printed material.

Sure its better, lasts longer and you'll guarantee a 9.8 8 times out of 10 but I feel something has been last since the early 00s when they changed.

For me I still prefer the old printing methods, something is lost in comic books these days with the shiny printed material.

Sure its better, lasts longer and you'll guarantee a 9.8 8 times out of 10 but I feel something has been last since the early 00s when they changed.

I couldn't agree more. I love the older paper. I love the smell, the invariable bindery tears...the imperfection.