• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone recommend a good reputable online seller?

36 posts in this topic

As far as Bob Storms site, I am pleased to report that you get ***exactly*** what you paid for online, sight unseen. And my raw books arrived in either a mylite or PETE carefully inside a 4 mil BCE mylar snug!! Beautiful and classy.

Bob is one of the very few that I would buy from "sight unseen". He'll always supply the scans if you ask. IMO, he's the best dealer out there if you'r elooking for SA-BA Marvels. His grading is tight. He's quick to respind to emails/inquiries. He'll bring anything you request to a show.

His DC inventory isn't as deep as his Marvel (whose is?). So, I guess, that could be the only "gripe", if I had to pick one. And that's if I was put on the spot to call something out.

Far and away, for me, the best dealer out there. I might buy 3-5 books a year; Bob gets 50%+ of those.

I have to chime in on Bob Storms. The mix of quick responses to emails, fast shipping / excellent packaging and tight grading makes Bob one of the main go to guys in the business IMHO.

I'm looking for a decent online seller known for fair grading of raw books, mostly 1965 thru 1985 comics. I understand that CGC will often differ in the "official" grade, but I'm looking for overall general fairness, not someone who sends a FN (6.0) book under the guise of of VF-NM (8.5-9.0), which has happened to me. In my humble opinion, a good seller should be able to keep it within an integer in most cases, and for NM and up, within 0.4 error at the widest variance.

I've had mixed success on Ebay, and I'm interested in your experiences!

comic-sutra

(hey, no one else pimps me, I might as well.)

Update: Just received a modest order of cheap comics from Mycomicshop.com (mostly readers, but several were listed as NM). In particular, I bought an X-men (1991) series #1D (Magneto cover), which was listed as a NM, and the front left corner looks like a dog literally grabbed the corner with his teeth and shook it!!

Based on this experience, I don't recommend them if you're counting on books in high grade. They obviously didn't take a look at what they pulled from stock before shoving this "NM" book in a bag/board. Unbelievable they missed it, because this mangling/mauling/water/saliva damage (?) is hard to miss.

Given the book was sold at $1.10 in NM, less than cover price, I can see it's not a huge priority to them, but a customer should get what they order regardless. Obviously, it's not even worth my time spending money to ship it back, so I'll keep it as my example of "worst ever NM comic bought from a 'legitimate' seller."

I'd stick with NewKadia over Mycomicshop at this point, but both sent some clunkers listed as NM and NM+ that would be hard pressed to get a realistic VF.

The data gathering and search continues...thank for your inputs, I am trying them all!

Update: Just received a modest order of cheap comics from Mycomicshop.com (mostly readers, but several were listed as NM). In particular, I bought an X-men (1991) series #1D (Magneto cover), which was listed as a NM, and the front left corner looks like a dog literally grabbed the corner with his teeth and shook it!!

Based on this experience, I don't recommend them if you're counting on books in high grade. They obviously didn't take a look at what they pulled from stock before shoving this "NM" book in a bag/board. Unbelievable they missed it, because this mangling/mauling/water/saliva damage (?) is hard to miss.

Given the book was sold at $1.10 in NM, less than cover price, I can see it's not a huge priority to them, but a customer should get what they order regardless. Obviously, it's not even worth my time spending money to ship it back, so I'll keep it as my example of "worst ever NM comic bought from a 'legitimate' seller."

I'd stick with NewKadia over Mycomicshop at this point, but both sent some clunkers listed as NM and NM+ that would be hard pressed to get a realistic VF.

The data gathering and search continues...thank for your inputs, I am trying them all!

I'm sorry that NewKadia let you down after I recommended them to you but they have a 100% refund with free shipping. Here is that link http://www.newkadia.com/?Comic_pag=ER :foryou: .

They usually under grade their books as people have told me but maybe they are slipping or hired a bad grader. I would return the books if you are not happy.

Most of the Newkadia grades were pretty good, and the Next Men #1 appears flawless to my eye. The one real miss was a low-value comic, Devil Dinosaur Spring Fling #1, listed as NM+ but the spine has a big, white vertical split by the bottom staple. I bought the same comic from mycomicshop.com, and it has a lesser but similar tear, so given this is a 64-page book, perhaps it's a common printing/binding defect of the book itself. This comic has never even been graded in the census, so I just don't know. I just like the cover, and some of the stories were pretty good as well. :-) This is all pretty good, low-cost data-gathering.

Thanks so much for the help!

Hello again! I just received an order from Worldwide comics -- two CGC-graded books as follows:

1) Devil Dinosaur #4, 9.8

2) Godzilla #17, 9.6

I have a concern:

Both were sold as part of their Golden State pedigree collection, and overall both books look good.

The anti-tamper strip is missing from the Godzilla book, and their own wwcomics.com pedigree sticker is also missing. I'm still pretty new to this, and I'm just curious, how much of an issue is that missing paper strip, and the golden state sticker? The slab appears unopened.

I just contacted wwcomics.com, and I've yet to hear back from them.

Would you return the Godzilla book, or keep it? I've heard people pontificate about not collecting the injection molded plastic, but that being said, but I don't want an "invalid" graded comic, either. I welcome all opinions!!

Your experience with MCS is unfortunate. They have two informal tiers of books, ones they assign a numerical grade and ones they assign NM VF F and so forth. The numerical grades are for higher priced or older books. I have had really good success with these books from them. At times getting 2 full grades higher from CGC. I don't know that I have purchased very many of the other type but from what I hear, these are very hit and miss. It seems that are not as tight on the low dollar books.

Worldwide Comics promptly contacted me and will gladly accept the Godzilla book back and reimburse return shipping costs. I'd still be interested in opinions regarding missing anti-tamper CGC strip, though. Just send back for re-slab if that happens?

Recent experience:

I bought from an Ebay seller named "johnsononlineauctions" and received fantastic books, fairly graded on the 10-pt scale with a clear idea of the overstreet criteria. Books were incredibly well packaged and in brand new boards/bags (non-archival, but still top-notch for shipping vs. what you often get from "rolling the dice" on EBay.)

My highest endorsement goes to this seller. Top-notch!

What do you think of J & S comics? Are they known for good grading?

I would avoid J & S, though they seem to offer good stuff. They are jerks. I bought some bronze age Kirby Captain America's from them off of ebay a few years ago. They were sold as 9.4's and 9.6's but the books I got were around 8.5 - 9.0. I left them a neutral feedback - basically saying in a nice way that they overgrade their books and recommending buyers to take that into account. It was very matter of fact and not a rant.

Without even contacting me, they promptly banned me from buying from them by blocking all my future bids. So to sum up, they lie about their grades and if you don't like it, they will tell you to get Spooned. Horrible customer service.

ebay is not too bad when you buy from say like mycomicshop, bill cole, mmcomics,

Im surprised no ones has mentioned www.superworldcomics.com

Ive never had any problems with them. I only look at raw and their grading is really good.

mycomicshop.com is good. Havent had too much problems with their grading.

Highgradecomics.com is a good place, I found their pricing and grading to be pretty equal to superworldcomics

Mile High's problem is their pricing, way too high for all their back issues. I only buy from them when they have a 50% sale. Sometimes their grading is not what they say it is.

I only buy my supplies from Bill Cole Enterprises. Pricing may be a little high but their product is top notch.