• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

It is after all only a number grade... 893frustrated.gif and to pay 5x 10x over guide for .2 or .4 is folly, in every sense of the word.

Truer words were never spoken. 893applaud-thumb.gif

possible pressed resub + possible slab damage + utter subjectivity to .2 grades = insane.gif to pay multiples

I don't think there's any "drooling fanboy" going on here. I think its jealousy. Hell, I'm jealous of the books Ewert and Lauterbach (and Blazingbob and Captain Tripps and others) have. At least I'm big enough to admit it.

Everytime I hear this utter BS, it makes me want to scream. Donut you're also smart enough to know it's BS, and fully understand that in the "real world" comics aren't exactly something that people are jealous of.

It's just your moronic way of saying "shut up and stop bugging EBay sellers!!"

Now, if he had a fleet of classic cars, or his own island in the South Pacific, then I'd certainly be man enough to admit a tinge of jealousy. But comics? foreheadslap.gif

Its not BS in the slightest. I'm damn jealous of the books he has because he sells them for a lot of money. This is the real world. I'm jealous of somebody who does essentially the same thing I do and makes a lot more money doing it.

I don't know Jason Ewert from Jason Voorhees, but I do know that he sells things that I would love to sell. I'm jealous of the giant bank account he probably has from selling his books. More power to him.

"And if Jason E has nothing to hide.. why would he not want to show up.. and state for the record he does not press..resub .. whatever... if I were him I would come and face those who speak out against me.. hear them out and tell them why they are wrong."

Jason would be willing to answer questions, but this one is old news and one he has already dealt with, it has nothing to do with hiding.

"But for you to ask the board to quiet down, or Jason will never come.. does seem a bit silly....if all you want is a highbrow dinner of elite guests.. then have a seperate dinner..plain and simple, then hold a CGC forum bru ha ha fun fest for the riff raff on another day.

Next are you gonig to impose a moratorium on certain topics ?

Sit there, chew your steak.. and talk about how Spidey could really beat Antman?"

I never said that, please read my post again.

Who mentioned "highbrow elite dinners"? And "riff raff"? Most of the people on these boards are becoming friends of mine I would never imply that. 893naughty-thumb.gif People always ask me if I can bring some guests to the dinners, so I try to. Those who have seen me at the dinners know I don't make it anything more than it is; a chat board dinner, talking comics and other topics that come up, and I sit with whoever I have not seen during the day wether they are "players" or not. I also answer any "hard" questions asked of me.

All I stated is that announcing that "I am going to bring this topic/question up if so and so comes to dinner" is a sure way to help them not to show.

And REDHOOK: why is it that certification has taken the P,L, & U out of comics? From what I have seen we have helped bring it back confused-smiley-013.gif

I know Steve. I don't mean to be roughing around. But you have to admit the financial stakes are mushrooming when it comes to higher end collecting. There are a number of issues swimming under the surface that are still out there and are simply not settled for some of us. It may not be all about the money, but in the higher end....it's starting to feel that way.

That said, I look forward to meeting you and Jason at the board dinner. I am only a true wisenheimer here on the boards.

flowerred.gif

I'm jealous of the giant bank account he probably has from selling his books.

he'd might be jealous of your eBay stock shares you got form the IPO. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't have them anymore. I do have a nice house that those eBay shares paid for! grin.gif The eBay stock I do have is plummeting - down to $73 today. Yikes! Was at $94 three weeks ago.

I actually stand neutral on the pressing issue--as blowout indicated, disclosure (if known) is the most important ingredient for acceptance on my part. I have a bigger problem with PP fees sellers tack onto CC transactions. Pressing and PP fees seem to be top contenders for touching collector/board member's hot spots.

I do admit, the books Jason auctions are definitely sweet. thumbsup2.gif

Until next time, take care of yourself.....and each other.

What leaves me shaking my head though, is that dealers and collectors alike seem so reactive to the meer mention of pressing on one hand, and on the other hand declare there is nothing wrong with it.

In other words, if they were truly indifferent to it, then advancing the possiblity of an individual pressing his books (not an accusation, just looking for an acknowledgement, clarification if you will), should raise no more ire than if I said that I think a certain dealer lists his auctions alphabetically.

To me that reveals the fact that no one is really indifferent. It's more a matter of "willingness to overlook" what is probably going on. Fine. But don't try mislabel those of us who are digging a little deeper.

Great, great point. It's always struck me as strange that NO ONE in the dealer camp will cop to actually pressing books, but most of them will in the same breath say "not that there's anything wrong with it." If you don't think there's anything wrong with it, why not do it?

As for why people on these boards get riled about it, I do think it falls into the category of "damned by association" - there's enough hand-wringing about pressing, or the possibility that someone is pressing, that it has the potential to reflect negatively on CGC. And that in turn could over time erode at least parts of the HG market.

I still think that anyone sinking more than $500 a year into funnybooks, with an eye to recouping that $ down the road, should be concerned about pressing - even the 'acceptable' form of pressing. Unless you're engaged in the practice of pressing, any pressing that goes on can only have a negative impact on the value of HG books down the road.

"And if Jason E has nothing to hide.. why would he not want to show up.. and state for the record he does not press..resub .. whatever... if I were him I would come and face those who speak out against me.. hear them out and tell them why they are wrong."

Jason would be willing to answer questions, but this one is old news and one he has already dealt with, it has nothing to do with hiding.

fair enough.. I will readily admit I dont know all that has transpired.

And can see why he would not want to re-hash things again.

Might I ask you how he responded, when he dealt with just these types of questions at the last dinner he attended?

"But for you to ask the board to quiet down, or Jason will never come.. does seem a bit silly....if all you want is a highbrow dinner of elite guests.. then have a seperate dinner..plain and simple, then hold a CGC forum bru ha ha fun fest for the riff raff on another day.

Sit there, chew your steak.. and talk about how Spidey could really beat Antman?"

Once again, fair enough.. but your when you stated you guaranteed certain guests it would be"FUN" just seemed an odd choice of words, when we are talking about consenting adults in a public meeting place.Why does it all have to be FUN?.. no hard topics allowed?

That was why I said what I did.. and my tounge was in my cheek a bit too.. I hope you realize that. flowerred.gif

Who mentioned "highbrow elite dinners"? And "riff raff"? Most of the people on these boards are becoming friends of mine I would never imply that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Once again.. I took the libery to poke a stik at you..all in fun Steve.. I know you try and appease a wide variety of people. . flowerred.gif People always ask me if I can bring some guests to the dinners, so I try to. Those who have seen me at the dinners know I don't make it anything more than it is; a chat board dinner, talking comics and other topics that come up, and I sit with whoever I have not seen during the day wether they are "players" or not. I also answer any "hard" questions asked of me.

As should anyone there.. but for someone to not attend because they dont want to deal with "Hard" questions , just strikes me as odd.. and silly.did it get THAt heated last time this went around?

All I stated is that announcing that "I am going to bring this topic/question up if so and so comes to dinner" is a sure way to help them not to show.

Now that I can understand.. and sadly there will always be the few " bad apples".. as I said in closing of my last post. I hope you all have a blast at your dinner.. and cant wait to see photos of silly people doing fun things.

Thnx for your reply..

Ze-man

fair enough.. I will readily admit I dont know all that has transpired.

And can see why he would not want to re-hash things again.

Might I ask you how he responded, when he dealt with just these types of questions at the last dinner he attended?

Once again, fair enough.. but your when you stated you guaranteed certain guests it would be"FUN" just seemed an odd choice of words, when we are talking about consenting adults in a public meeting place.Why does it all have to be FUN?.. no hard topics allowed?

That was why I said what I did.. and my tounge was in my cheek a bit too.. I hope you realize that. flowerred.gif

Who mentioned "highbrow elite dinners"? And "riff raff"? Most of the people on these boards are becoming friends of mine I would never imply that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Once again.. I took the libery to poke a stik at you..all in fun Steve.. I know you try and appease a wide variety of people. . flowerred.gif People always ask me if I can bring some guests to the dinners, so I try to. Those who have seen me at the dinners know I don't make it anything more than it is; a chat board dinner, talking comics and other topics that come up, and I sit with whoever I have not seen during the day wether they are "players" or not. I also answer any "hard" questions asked of me.

As should anyone there.. but for someone to not attend because they dont want to deal with "Hard" questions , just strikes me as odd.. and silly.did it get THAt heated last time this went around?

Now that I can understand.. and sadly there will always be the few " bad apples".. as I said in closing of my last post. I hope you all have a blast at your dinner.. and cant wait to see photos of silly people doing fun things.

Thnx for your reply..

Ze-man

flowerred.gif

I've asked this question before. I'll ask again:

IF (notice the capitals) IF a book is pressed to the point where a defect is no longer there, and does not return, what difference does it make???

And even if it did revert to form upon opening the slab...if the slab is never opened, how will anyone ever know = what difference does it make? And before any of you clowns state that you break open your 9.6s+, save your breath.

The only time this should even be an issue is if pressing is if detectable, or the defect returns, right? Full Disclosure about detectable flaws, sure; but why the endless prattling about something YOU can't even find...or Steve...or Paul...or Mark???

Every time this issue comes up, I always envision a dozen B&B 28s lined up on a table (my vision, my book smirk.gif), and all the CGC graders are there along with a bunch of forum members from both sides of this argument. The host, let's call him Komic Keys, states "1 or more of these books have been pressed. Find it/them. And no one can. confused-smiley-013.gif

And for the record, I personally have bought a couple of books from Jason. At least one I could detect non-color breaking lines on the spine. Pressed? What do I care; I got a book I wanted at a price I was willing to pay for that particular grade. If/When it's time to sell, I'll post a large scan & list the label info. After all, the bottom line is "buy the label," right? confused.gif

Rick

Is there really any way CGC can tell for sure 100% a comic has been pressed, or resubbed?

If not a 100% YES.. then how can we expect them to disclose if a comic has been pressed on not.. if they dont honestly know if it was pro pressed, or just stored under heavy books for 40 years.

While disclosing this info on a per comic basis , if they indeed were 100% sure it was pressed would be invaluable to the buyer..but where is the line drawn.?.. I can see why CGC has chosen to not address this yet as a company stance.. it is still not a science yet like real known resto work, such as color touch, trimming etc..but if I have learned anything from these pressing threads..as it stands now ..pressing /resto is still a matter of opinion.

Z

Here's my understanding of CGC's stance on pressing:

- If a book is disassembled in order to be pressed, it will receive a Purple label.

- If a book is pressed in an 'acceptable' way - in other words, without being disassembled - it will receive the Blue Universal label, even if CGC knows it to be a pressed book.

The fact that CGC has drawn this line of demarcation at the same point where "detectable pressing" and "undetectable pressing" lies, is, apparently just a coincidence. I don't think CGC or anyone else can state with total certainty that pressing which involves disassembling the book does more "damage" to the book than "acceptable" pressing that doesn't involve disassembly. It's more about the "integrity" of the book, I guess. Either way, I'm not a fan of pressing in any sense. Does it preserve a book in some way, making it last longer than an un-pressed book? No. Does it make a book look better? Yes. Are we all about appearances now, when it comes to the relative value of comic books? Yes. Will pressing end tomorrow? No, it will only become more prevalent.

At some point, a lower order of humanity (in the same genus as Hammer) will discover "non-detectable" (aka "acceptable") pressing in a big way. There are plenty of hacks out there who can't really grade a comic, but could easily learn to identify good candidates for pressing. Even if that were your only "aptitude" regarding comics, you could make some serious cash by applying that skill.

When the copy of Flash 108 that you paid 3x guide for in CGC VF/NM 9.0 goes from being one of 2 in grade to one of 5 or 8 in grade, I think the problem with pressing will begin to sink in...

Its not BS in the slightest. I'm damn jealous of the books he has because he sells them for a lot of money. This is the real world. I'm jealous of somebody who does essentially the same thing I do and makes a lot more money doing it.

That's YOU, while in your previous message you accused ALL OF US of being jealous of Jason and his prolific sales. That's the BS part.

Do you really think that pressing is all that prevalent? I'm in the camp that has no problem with pressing and don't consider it resto but I also think that the issue is being overstated. In my opinion, with Silver and Bronze books, less than 1% of high grade books are good pressing candidates. That's not a whole lot of books. You'd have to dig up 100 or more already high grade copies of Flash 108 to find 1 that will be pressed up from a 9.2 to a 9.6. Seems like pretty long odds and something that will have little or no effect on the market for that book.

Do you really think that pressing is all that prevalent? I'm in the camp that has no problem with pressing and don't consider it resto but I also think that the issue is being overstated. In my opinion, with Silver and Bronze books, less than 1% of high grade books are good pressing candidates. That's not a whole lot of books. You'd have to dig up 100 or more already high grade copies of Flash 108 to find 1 that will be pressed up from a 9.2 to a 9.6. Seems like pretty long odds and something that will have little or no effect on the market for that book.

The echoes my sentiments, especially about the prevalence of good pressing candidates. There aren't all that many books, as a percentage, that would benefit from it. Not that it matters. It seems this storm will continue to rage unabated, forever...

Well....I cringed when I saw this topic posted yesterday because I knew that the thread would go EXACTLY as it has! foreheadslap.gif

Well....I cringed when I saw this topic posted yesterday because I knew that the thread would go EXACTLY as it has! foreheadslap.gif

I think I cringed and then promised myself that I would ignore it. Then I saw how huge it had gotten and just had to peek. It was worse than I imagined.