• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW DOES JASON EWERT DO IT??!!

265 posts in this topic

And that statement about them being consignments was pure conjecture. No proof of that at all. Just for the record.

Other than Jason saying that a lot of the books he sells are on consignment, you mean.

Someone please tell me we're not going to turn this thread back against Jason, are we? This is getting [!@#%^&^] ridiculous. 893frustrated.gif

Why? Because YOU can't do it? And what do you mean, a disproportionate amount of high grades? Do you know how many 9.4+ copies of Hulk 181 and X-Men 94 are in the census?

If you want to pick on a dealer, why don't you pick on the real crooks, like the guys who sell unrestored books as restored, or who sell VGs as VFs?

There is absolutely no conceivable way that someone has the raw eye to discern buying that many key 9.6 and 9.8 books. I have heard numerous rumours about collusion with graders, which obviously are ridiculous - many pointing out that that his many 9.6/9.8 books are those that CGC receives in great abundance - Jason ending up with a disproportionate amount of the best grades. I mean how many raw key 9.6/9.8 books do you see in shops/conventions? - Virtually none I would guess even if you went to them all - So how does he actually do it - A magic trick>

And that statement about them being consignments was pure conjecture. No proof of that at all. Just for the record.

Other than Jason saying that a lot of the books he sells are on consignment, you mean.

Someone please tell me we're not going to turn this thread back against Jason, are we? This is getting [!@#%^&^] ridiculous. 893frustrated.gif

It never was meant to be "against Jason". I've tried really hard to make that distinction clear. So please put the broad brush down.

Jason Ewert has been one of the best-stocked Silver Age dealers for a very long time. I recall attending a Philly convention around 1995 (pre-Wizard days) and being stunned and amazed at the depth and breadth of very high grade material Jason was offering. He had extraordinary copies of relatively scarce ultra-high grade early Silver (I have always remembered an FF12 in NM-), as well as nice copies of essentially all bronze keys of the day.

I suspect that, today, it is his combined capacity to offer consigned books from a number of ultra-high grade collectors who have become contacts over the years, coupled with high grade stock that he owns directly that is responsible for the continuance of impressive auctions of very highly graded material. Plus, the guy would appear to have an excellent understanding of CGC grading standards. I, for one, am glad that he offers at least some material over e-bay, rather than hoarding it all for a select few clientele. Not that I can afford any of these books at the stratospheric, oxygen-deprived prices they typically command, mind you.

Having dealt with Jason on a number of occasions, I can state quite categorically that he is a stand-up bloke. He is also an extremely well-connected bloke with contacts that only you and I could dream of. He gets hold of these books because he practically knows everyone who is anyone is this business and his reputation encourages people to sell to him and consign through him.

Everyone can argue all day long about whether to press or not to press, but let's not broaden the conspiracy to include Jason colluding with CGC to stiff the market.

There is absolutely no conceivable way that someone has the raw eye to discern buying that many key 9.6 and 9.8 books. I have heard numerous rumours about collusion with graders, which obviously are ridiculous - many pointing out that that his many 9.6/9.8 books are those that CGC receives in great abundance - Jason ending up with a disproportionate amount of the best grades. I mean how many raw key 9.6/9.8 books do you see in shops/conventions? - Virtually none I would guess even if you went to them all - So how does he actually do it - A magic trick>

Ah yes, the typical hit-and-run post from Mr. Egambart, who pops in as usual, throws in a grenade and then disappears.

But why do you have trouble believing that people can pick out the raw books which are most likely to receive 9.6s or 9.8s? Do you think that most of Brulato's and Tripps' collections, which are predominantly 9.6s and 9.8s, were purchased slabbed? No, many were purchased raw. Clearly these guys and others know how to identify the best of the best. Many of the PC books that Roter identified as NM+ or better in fact came back as 9.6s or 9.8s. Quite frankly, it's not that hard, if you know how to grade.

This thread would be considered a classic and deserves to be bumped.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I hadn't ever read this one 27_laughing.gif Looks like there must have been a crow feast for some in hindsight foreheadslap.gif

I found this link in here to another fun read:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Great stuff 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

This thread would be considered a classic and deserves to be bumped.

Thanks for bumping this thread. I hadn't ever read this one 27_laughing.gif Looks like there must have been a crow feast for some in hindsight foreheadslap.gif

I found this link in here to another fun read:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

Great stuff 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

Yeah, pressing pedigree books really makes gets to me, no matter the condition. So much for history. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ah, that thread contains a lot of choice moments. cloud9.gif

It should be subtitled, "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Red

How about 'The Emperor's New, Precisely Tailored, Clothes'? confused-smiley-013.gif

How about "The Emperor's New Tappered Clothes"? ...........I cut it down a little.

devil.gif

Ah, that thread contains a lot of choice moments. cloud9.gif

It should be subtitled, "The Emperor's New Clothes".

I prefer..."When Jason Found His (X-Acto) Groove"...

Jim

None of us at that point had any inclination that Jason would go as far as trimming high grade books. What is interesting is how we were still at the point where we were willing to believe anything a BSD said to us.

None of us at that point had any inclination that Jason would go as far as trimming high grade books. What is interesting is how we were still at the point where we were willing to believe anything a BSD said to us.

True...lame ducks usually swim alone...

Jim

Whereas now anything that comes from that direction is treated with barely veiled contempt...

I like to think we've made progress. tongue.gif

the one thing i get from that thread is that Beyonder no longer bolds and italicises the odd word or two in his posts.

wonder why that is?