• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo 2 OA (60's Dell african american cowboy gunslinger - 1st black char series

1 post in this topic

I have the entirety of the OA for issue #2 of this series, including the OA for the cover. Because it will be a brute to photograph all 20+ pages, I'm trying to get a sense of whether the OA collectors here might have an interest in this historical item. Otherwise it's up on ebay.

Tony Tellerico did the art on this book and it was the first comic series where a black or african american character was the star of the series, etc. -- a gunfighter in the wild west. (Obviously there were black characters in comics before him and I'm not including one shot type stuff like the Jackie Robinson Story or what have you or african american themed comics in general, which were out there, but as I understand it this was the first time a series was started and devoted to a main black star.) (And I'm trying not to step on any toes here as I understand the two terms are distinct -- the black panther is, afterall, not african american!) Lobo only lasted 2 issues as Dell found out that in certain parts of the country comic sellers refused to even put the book out on the stands, which makes the story pretty interesting. There's actually a bit out there on the interweb about this series. I have a reader copy of #2 I'd include along with the OA (the two issues from this series actually do pretty well on ebay generally) -- see, e.g,, ebay item number 160904362812, which sold for WAYYY over guide and gives you a nice view of what the color version of the cover looks like (my book has the cover art too).

Anyway, if there's interest here, I'll put it up. Unless you just want to PM me a massive offer and save me some work.