• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does "File Copy" mean?

17 posts in this topic

I've been perusing a few sellers on Ebay, such as J & S Comics and a seller named Blissard, and I've seen a number of comics (primarily old Harvey comics circa mid-60's to mid-70's) labeled as "file copies."

Is there a pointed meaning to this term? I've assumed--in the absence of a proper definition--that these are copies that Harvey kept in their files and never distributed to the market?

Most importantly, is there some difference in value? Are "file copies" different than newsstand copies in any way??

If there's a proper definition somehwere, please share the source-----thanks so much!

Tom

I've been perusing a few sellers on Ebay, such as J & S Comics and a seller named Blissard, and I've seen a number of comics (primarily old Harvey comics circa mid-60's to mid-70's) labeled as "file copies."

Is there a pointed meaning to this term? I've assumed--in the absence of a proper definition--that these are copies that Harvey kept in their files and never distributed to the market?

Most importantly, is there some difference in value? Are "file copies" different than newsstand copies in any way??

If there's a proper definition somehwere, please share the source-----thanks so much!

Tom

Unfortunately, there is no way to easy way to determine if a comic is an actual file copies or just nice copies that someone is calling a file copy. Some dealers I would trust, others are just trying to use the label file copy to denote that the comic is in nice condition. It is a very common label to see on high grade Gold Key comics, for example.

Tom

Unfortunately, there is no way to easy way to determine if a comic is an actual file copies or just nice copies that someone is calling a file copy. Some dealers I would trust, others are just trying to use the label file copy to denote that the comic is in nice condition. It is a very common label to see on high grade Gold Key comics, for example.

Heritage has been selling tons of high grade, file copy, Harvey Richie Rich, Casper and the like for many months. Seems like they have an unlimited supply.

I don't think anyone pays extra for file copies. Given the storage conditions of the Harvey File Copies, you are more likely to find a knowledgeable dealer trying to tell you a nice copy is NOT a file copy.

For most Harvey copies, you can tell it is a file copy by the tanning halo around the edges.

Not all File Copies are in upper high grade. Stan Lee's File Copy of Doc Strange 169 is an 8.0 IIRC.

True. The perception that "file copy" is synonymous with "high grade" led briefly to an odd policy decision at CGC in regard to Stan's copies. They decided that his low-grade personal copies would not be designated as file copies, to avoid confusion in people who presumed the words "file copy" meant "nice condition." But they didn't just replace those labels with ones that read "Stan Lee personal copy" or something like it, they removed any reference at all to the fact that Lee had owned them, even though Lee himself had personally delivered the books directly to the graders. And, just to make sure the condition-dissing was complete, some copies that Stan signed (in front of the CGC witness) weren't even given the signature series label, simply because they were very low grade. So you have cases like Stan's copy of FF 5, with a label that gives no indication at all it was owned or signed by the man who wrote the book and is known around the world.

Since then, I've seen other slabbed books in poor condition retained their pedigree designations. And I've seen at least one Stan Lee book get a label with his name on it after being slabbed originally without it. So, perhaps there is less concern now that people would look at a book with a low number, in obviously poor condition, and somehow think that "file copy" meant it was in high grade.

I don't like the way "File Copy" is now being used.

I take some exception with the link to the definition/examples used at comicpedigrees.com. First the constant calling of the Edgar Church Collection "Mile High". But that is not relevant to this.

Even though they mention "warehouse finds" in their "file copy" definition they still classify them as "file copies". To me a File Copy is a book that is actually kept ON FILE for research purposes, as a "pay copy", for copyright purposes etc. but NOT a group of books in a warehouse.

Calling the books Bill Gaines took home, wrapped in paper and stored in a closet a "file copy"? He never touched them for years (a good thing as far as condition goes) but I would call them simply a Bill Gaines' Copy.

These are just warehouse finds. They are like the so called "Mile High 2" :sick: books.

Blissard is Dave Anderson(the dentist), and is a good friend of Geppi, who was heavily involved in the Harvey file copies in the nineties.

I have just been following Blissard's auctions. I have been in communication with him on the file copies and won a few. As I recall his name is Adam. perhaps that is Dave's son