• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did X-Men jump the shark?

149 posts in this topic

From what I've heard, many comic readers think that the X-Men and mutant books in general jumped the shark (started to suck) in the mid 1980s. For you, when did Uncanny X-Men and the other series start to suck? What was the last arc you thought was worth reading and/or holds up today?

Somewhere around #241 when Jubilee was introduced. It was apparently going down in popularity long before this but some of the story lines are still pretty popular to this day in the back issue market. But around this point in time you see a complete abandonment of key issues (with the exception of #265 & #266) and just ridiculous stories being told. 2c

Great question lol

I was never an x-men fan except of the early series so my honest answer would be around #12 or #13 lol

but if I take a more liberal view I'd agree with whetteon and say somewhere between 225-275.

I dumped it right after Fall of the Mutants. I couldn't take it. I tried to pick it back up a couple of times. Then 268-275 or so were very entertaining. Then it really went in the toilet again. Jim Lee's art was always pretty, though.

It could have fallen off the face of the Earth after issue 175 as that was the end of any decent story writing.

There have been a few high spots here and there with it, but nothing that resembles any consistency after that.

I still like many of the stories in the 227 - 280 range. However, I got really turned off by stories and John Romita Jr. art in the early 300's.

Once the Age of Apocalypse was over, that was an easy place to quit buying the series.

(However, I have gone back and purchased those books after the AOA as I am trying to complete and X-Men run from beginning to end.)

I dumped it right after Fall of the Mutants. I couldn't take it.

Definitely in the 220's for me. I think Marc Silvestri was doing the art then and the stories were just horrible with stupid premises. They were just phoning it in at that point.

Whichever multi issue/ multi title run that was going on in the 220s. I remember reading an issue and not having a clue because I hadn't read two other titles. I quit the title and never looked back until someone gave me the entire Age of Apocalypse. I enjoyed that but not enough to start reading them on a regular basis. I've picked up an occasional TPB over the years but thats about it. I did really enjoy Dark Genesis, for what its worth.

I remember very vividly when 175 hit the stands :)

My best friend at the time who lived a couple of houses down called me and told me it was on the rack at the depanneur (that's Quebecois for corner store ;) ). I literally slammed the phone down on him and RAN to the store to buy it.

Good times! :)