• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did X-Men jump the shark?

149 posts in this topic

I sort of disagree, there were bad patches and good patches, ups and downs. I stopped reading a little after Age of Apocolypse and have mainly been collecting them since for the sake of continuity, having most of the uncanny issues at least, "new" x-men run is a bit spottier. Pretty crazy. One day I would like to try and read them, but there's so much other stuff to read.

From what I've heard, many comic readers think that the X-Men and mutant books in general jumped the shark (started to suck) in the mid 1980s. For you, when did Uncanny X-Men and the other series start to suck? What was the last arc you thought was worth reading and/or holds up today?

I actually gave up at around 150 or so.

From what I've heard, many comic readers think that the X-Men and mutant books in general jumped the shark (started to suck) in the mid 1980s. For you, when did Uncanny X-Men and the other series start to suck? What was the last arc you thought was worth reading and/or holds up today?

As soon as Lobdell took over the writing, the book became rubbish. At least with the Lee issues there was decent artwork, but after the "Image defection" the crappy artwork coupled with the sub-par writing just made the title unbearable.

As soon as Lobdell took over the writing, the book became rubbish. At least with the Lee issues there was decent artwork, but after the "Image defection" the crappy artwork coupled with the sub-par writing just made the title unbearable.

304 was a moment of clarity for him. After that it was over.

When we learned Wolverine's real name and he became bigger than the team.

When he quit smoking really irritated me as well. Not a smoker, but I thought it fit his character well.

(thumbs u Also, when they repaired the Hellfire guards after Wolvie sliced and diced them.

I continued to buy it until issue 324, but the last storyline I enjoyed was 177, 178 and 179. The mohawk Storm really turned me off and then she lost her powers. I never really read or understood the book after that point.

Somewhere around #241 when Jubilee was introduced. It was apparently going down in popularity long before this but some of the story lines are still pretty popular to this day in the back issue market. But around this point in time you see a complete abandonment of key issues (with the exception of #265 & #266) and just ridiculous stories being told. 2c

If you read X-Men 266 like I did for the first Gambit...wow you can tell that stuff was the at the time. I mean that robot Nanny with Magneto...WTF?

For me the real shark-jump moment became clear when they launched the second book. It was unmanageable and the quality on both books sank quickly.

As much as I disliked the work of the "regular" artists from 176 on, the guest artists were jewels, even June Brigman's Nightcrawler solo issue and Rick Leonardi's issues during the bi-weekly phases. The bigger difference in the writing after that is that there were so many stand-alone issues and no sense of the driving storyline that had been such a hallmark of the book before then. When they really developed the superstory concept to include multiple titles with banners on the cover, it was obviously forced. Maintaining high sales had forced it to not be different anymore.

I actually came back to the book during Scott Lobdell's tenure and I found it to be very consistent and enjoyable.