• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlanta Comic Convention - Sunday - February 3rd

50 posts in this topic

I spent 9 bucks at the show today and it was all at Finecomic's booth on 50 cent books. Really poor showing today and if it keeps going like this I am going to be done with this show as well.

Poor showing? As in Dealers? or attendance? I thought it was kinda packed and some points in the show. I found some pretty good deals, just had to search for two hours in long boxes to find them. I found a NM copy of DC Comics Presents #47 for 15 bucks! Dealer next to where i got the book saw the transactio and was shocked, he had one priced on his wall for 40 bucks. Picked up a sketch from artist Mark Wright and a Revival #1 for 15 bucks.

I do sometimes hesitate going to this show for fear of seeing the same dealers.

I spent 9 bucks at the show today and it was all at Finecomic's booth on 50 cent books. Really poor showing today and if it keeps going like this I am going to be done with this show as well.

Sheesh. Guess it's a good thing that I didn't make the trip.

Really don't know what some of you guys are looking for?!

I know from all the dealers I know in the room that it may be the same people....true, but their inventory is always changing.

Tim from Kentucky was a "new" dealer at the show today and had some fantastic books at great prices. So did Jeff (Finecomics). Earl had picked up a few newer collections and had quite a bit of new stuff. Some other dealers in the room, Chris Foss and the three Davids.......Burns and Shankle and Hinson are always acquiring and have new inventory almost every show they do. The same with Kevin Sparks, Lon Webb and Justin Taylor and his dad.

Heck for that matter Wes Tillander (the show promoter) had some new inventory today.

I'm constantly adding new BA and SA stock.

Maybe you need to wait for Dragon Con.......where you can really see lots of new comic dealers........... :insane:

My quick show report

As I've done the last 10 years or so.............listened to the Super Bowl on the way back to Charlotte tonight. Sounded like one hell of a game :applause:

Attendance was way up for the show today. I heard 600 through the door. Attendance has been in the 400-450 range.

Lots of spending. I had my best Atlanta show I've had in about 2 or 3 years.

Some of my notable sales

X-men #141 CGC 9.8

Four Color #199 and #203

X-Men #3, #15 and #17

Infinity Gauntlet #1 signed by George Perez

2 very nice later Jumbos (thanks Brock!)

The Dead Who Walk

Black Cat #8 and #51

Durango Kid #5

Forever People #1

Good buying show for me too........ :banana:

My quick show report

As I've done the last 10 years or so.............listened to the Super Bowl on the way back to Charlotte tonight. Sounded like one hell of a game :applause:

Attendance was way up for the show today. I heard 600 through the door. Attendance has been in the 400-450 range.

Some of my notable sales

X-men #141 CGC 9.8

Four Color #199 and #203

X-Men #3, #15 and #17

The Dead Who Walk

Black Cat #8 and #51

Durango Kid #5

Forever People #1

Any pics?

600 attendance isn't very big. How many dealer tables?

My quick show report

Some of my notable sales

X-men #141 CGC 9.8

Four Color #199 and #203

X-Men #3, #15 and #17

The Dead Who Walk

Black Cat #8 and #51

Durango Kid #5

Forever People #1

Any pics?

600 attendance is VERY good for a one day show. I don't think the Wizard show a few years back had a heck of a lot more people.......... :P

I'll see if I can steal some pics.......should be some on Facebook

I tried to get in as a dealer and Wes told me the show was sold out. Then I got sick and couldn't eben make it as a buyer. Probably a good thing tables were gone as I would have hated to do that show the way I felt. I'm sure I got better deals at Rob's Annual Super Sale anyway as I bought $135 worth of 3/$1 books including JLA 100-200, Batman 386 x2, Wolverine 10, Peter Parker 1, Panzerfaust 4 x3 and 5 x3, and lots of other solid stuff. The dealer list did look like the same guys but you see that at every show in the South. It's what those guys do.

I tried to get in as a dealer and Wes told me the show was sold out. Then I got sick and couldn't eben make it as a buyer. Probably a good thing tables were gone as I would have hated to do that show the way I felt. I'm sure I got better deals at Rob's Annual Super Sale anyway as I bought $135 worth of 3/$1 books including JLA 100-200, Batman 386 x2, Wolverine 10, Peter Parker 1, Panzerfaust 4 x3 and 5 x3, and lots of other solid stuff. The dealer list did look like the same guys but you see that at every show in the South. It's what those guys do.

I didn't go by after the card show on Saturday. Figured you would have taken all the good stuff by the time I got by. Looks like you did (thumbs u

My quick show report

Some of my notable sales

X-men #141 CGC 9.8

Four Color #199 and #203

X-Men #3, #15 and #17

The Dead Who Walk

Black Cat #8 and #51

Durango Kid #5

Forever People #1

Any pics?

For a one day show in Atlanta that his pretty good.

Really don't know what some of you guys are looking for?!

I know from all the dealers I know in the room that it may be the same people....true, but their inventory is always changing.

Tim from Kentucky was a "new" dealer at the show today and had some fantastic books at great prices. So did Jeff (Finecomics). Earl had picked up a few newer collections and had quite a bit of new stuff. Some other dealers in the room, Chris Foss and the three Davids.......Burns and Shankle and Hinson are always acquiring and have new inventory almost every show they do. The same with Kevin Sparks, Lon Webb and Justin Taylor and his dad.

Heck for that matter Wes Tillander (the show promoter) had some new inventory today.

I'm constantly adding new BA and SA stock.

Maybe you need to wait for Dragon Con.......where you can really see lots of new comic dealers........... :insane:

Yeah I would agree with Rick on this one, a lot of new stuff on the floor to look at. I guess it depends what you guys are looking for? My wife ran the booth while I shopped in the am. I managed to find several items.

Sales: Very strong show. Sales were all over the place: wall books, Prices as marked, trades, and 50 cent stuff. Sold 5 long boxes at 50 cents and was also able to wholesale the remaining 10.

I'd be interested in hearing what board members expect from the show? or what they are collecting that is not present? Atlanta as a show has a lot of savy dealers/buyers so if you're looking for that hot Image book in the $1 box... those are long gone by 8am. :devil:

I was looking for new FH and pre-code books to look at. I just feel like a majority of the books I've already flipped through over the past few shows that I've been in attendance for. Still had a good time. Did everyone get their free t-shirt?

Seeing how "discovering new collections and characters" is the foundation of comic collecting (for me at least) it would be great if there were:

- More than one room to the layout

- structured cosplay

- better networking among crowd

- education

- bigger artists/industry names

- a variety of dealers and collections (think Costco "surprise" factor)

- higher grade books (and a better-promoted way to sell them)

- original art (goes as much with education as dealers)

- support services (supplies, grading, etc.)

This of course suggests a higher burden on the organizers. Yet how can we have the biggest airport in the world (close enough) and have this 450-600 person event be the biggest comics show in Atlanta (DragonCon is no comic show)?

I was looking for new FH and pre-code books to look at. I just feel like a majority of the books I've already flipped through over the past few shows that I've been in attendance for. Still had a good time. Did everyone get their free t-shirt?

I have that feeling too but it's because I see these guys at least twice a month during con season. It's hard to have all new rotating stock in that short of a time frame. You get to know the guys and who's stuff to even bother digging through. When I go to a show like Atlanta, I can usually skip 1/3 of the dealers because they either have the same stuff, they know all the hot books thus no gems to be found, or they're just so overpriced it's not worth the time. The first thing I look for is a guy that I've never seen before or a man who only does a few shows a year. Unfortunately it's getting to the point that if you're not a dealer, thus in the room hours before the general public, that super gem is going to elude you. At Heroes MiniCon I found a Vengeance of Bane in a first time dealer's 50 cent box well before the show opened. You think that would have been there at 11am when the show opened to the general public?!?

I have that feeling too but it's because I see these guys at least twice a month during con season. It's hard to have all new rotating stock in that short of a time frame. You get to know the guys and who's stuff to even bother digging through. When I go to a show like Atlanta, I can usually skip 1/3 of the dealers because they either have the same stuff, they know all the hot books thus no gems to be found, or they're just so overpriced it's not worth the time. The first thing I look for is a guy that I've never seen before or a man who only does a few shows a year. Unfortunately it's getting to the point that if you're not a dealer, thus in the room hours before the general public, that super gem is going to elude you. At Heroes MiniCon I found a Vengeance of Bane in a first time dealer's 50 cent box well before the show opened. You think that would have been there at 11am when the show opened to the general public?!?

I agree with this 100 percent, I got to the show early to get a shirt and when i saw people going into and leaving the showroom all i see is other dealers going through other dealers boxes.

Seeing how "discovering new collections and characters" is the foundation of comic collecting (for me at least) it would be great if there were:

- More than one room to the layout

- structured cosplay

- better networking among crowd

- education

- bigger artists/industry names

- a variety of dealers and collections (think Costco "surprise" factor)

- higher grade books (and a better-promoted way to sell them)

- original art (goes as much with education as dealers)

- support services (supplies, grading, etc.)

This of course suggests a higher burden on the organizers. Yet how can we have the biggest airport in the world (close enough) and have this 450-600 person event be the biggest comics show in Atlanta (DragonCon is no comic show)?

There have been three attempts at this in the last 10 years. The most successful was a series of two day shows run at the Gwinnett Convention Center for about 2 or 3 years. The guys that ran it supposedly lost money and never even came close to breaking even on the shows and it died. Lots of bigger guests and 75-100 booths and attendance (if I remember correctly) of about 3000+ people for a two day event. This was the first time I remember Chuck R. coming to the east coast and buying books and the news was big as he was paying extremely high prices for bulk comics ($75-$125 a box).

The next attempt was by Pat Henry (the promoter of Dragon-Con) and even though it was fairly successful, he ran it in downtown Atlanta and I remember attendance not being all that great. It was one show and out.

The third attempt was by Wizard a few years ago...........I didn't go......I'll let you guys describe what was wrong with that one.............

For a myriad of reasons it just hasn't worked.............