• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some house calls work out :)

14 posts in this topic

Through an acquaintance I learnt that a local was selling his collection. I was told he had been collecting for 30 years and had a big inventory. I organized to go to his house not expecting much.

When I arrived I was met by a paltry 3 short boxes in the living room. I opened them up and started browsing. I was not disappointed. The first box was a long run of Tecs between 100-200. Then another box of actions and superman, including a Sups 4 in vg. After pulling out 10 books we headed downstairs where he had long runs of most marvel titles from the 60s and 70s. Jim, Strange Tales, Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Ironman and Incredible Hulk.

The Jim 83 had a real bad trim job and a few other books had amateur restoration. But I did manage to pick up a handful of books and plan to head back soon. there is a nice JIM 85, New Mutants 98 87 that I would really like to bring home.

Not an amazing tale but I hope it helps some guys to keep looking.

I'm horrified that you listed NM 87 and 98 in the same post as the Detectives in the 100s...
No kidding! Dude, no interest in the GA stuff, by all means come pick up my new mutants run and we can trade.

I'm horrified that you listed NM 87 and 98 in the same post as the Detectives in the 100s...
No kidding! Dude, no interest in the GA stuff, by all means come pick up my new mutants run and we can trade.

Prices on the actions were a bit steep. The NMs were cheap. And I have an interest in both. ;)

Through an acquaintance I learnt that a local was selling his collection. I was told he had been collecting for 30 years and had a big inventory. I organized to go to his house not expecting much.

When I arrived I was met by a paltry 3 short boxes in the living room. I opened them up and started browsing. I was not disappointed. The first box was a long run of Tecs between 100-200. Then another box of actions and superman, including a Sups 4 in vg. .

I would have stopped right there and bought those three short boxes

When I arrived I was met by a paltry 3 short boxes in the living room. I opened them up and started browsing. I was not disappointed. The first box was a long run of Tecs between 100-200. Then another box of actions and superman, including a Sups 4 in vg. .

I would have stopped right there and bought those three short boxes

+1

This is where you make an immediate offer on the lot.

Maybe seller was asking too much?

This is a situation where you try to purchase everything. Often times, once the $$ figure gets high enough, the seller stops thinking about what they are selling individual books for and starts thinking about what they could do with that much money in hand all at once.

If don't have that much money, you go borrow it at the bank.

If your financial situation is such that it's just impossible, you go search the internet or buy a OPG and find a large dealer that buys collections just like this and pays a 10% finder's fee. That well funded dealer - if they can close the deal - will gladly give you your 10% in books. So you could get your NM 98 for free.

You need to start working this now. The whole opportunity knocking once and all that....