• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: THE INCREDIBLE HULK 181 (YES, ANOTHER ONE)

50 posts in this topic

Aside from the discoloration etanick mentioned which could be a stain, my biggest concern would be the restoration I see all over the book!

I’m sure you’ve got a lot of expertise on restoration, given your GA collecting experience, but how can you suspect that from a lower-resolution scan like that, and of a BA book? It could just be the color gamut of the scanner, or any other reason related to the digital nature of the image.

There is a renowned and serious seller which has a lousy scanner which makes any book look uglier and/or restored… lol

From the scans, it does look like there are some restorations.

As far as color gamut of the scanner goes, that's a reaching assumption. A gamut can never truly represent all variations of colors, but assuming error variations produced by the scanner may or may not be valid.

Other digital errors in image reproduction? Possibly, but all anyone has is the scan to review. Timely alerted the owner to take a closer look at the book and that seems reasonable under the circumstance.

What is a "reaching assumption"? I can’t seem to translate it decently, my english is still in beta after more than 20 years… :(

I spoke by experience (maybe I did not use the right words, gamut may not indicate what I was trying to imply), I am a graphic designer, but maybe there are signs of restoration skilled collectors are trained to see.

Aside from the discoloration etanick mentioned which could be a stain, my biggest concern would be the restoration I see all over the book!

I’m sure you’ve got a lot of expertise on restoration, given your GA collecting experience, but how can you suspect that from a lower-resolution scan like that, and of a BA book? It could just be the color gamut of the scanner, or any other reason related to the digital nature of the image.

There is a renowned and serious seller which has a lousy scanner which makes any book look uglier and/or restored… lol

I suspect restoration because I know what to look for. I was a CGC grader for over 7 years from 2004 until 2011 and I can easily spot restoration, you just need to know what to look for! You are correct though, nothing can compare to viewing the book in hand, but based on the scans provided I'd say the chances of restoration on this book hovers around 98%

Now I've got concerns. I'm no expert, and am not going to spot restoration as well as a CGC grader.

If it were restored, I'd be handing it right back to the person I purchased it from as there's been no disclosure of such.

However, that being said some particular specifics would be more appropriate than just labelling it as restored without further commentary.

Could someone illuminate this situation further with their impressions about WHY it is restored and where specifically I can look to analyze what has been stated?

Your comments are appreciated moreso in this circumstance because even as a raw this wasn't an inexpensive purchase.

Well, here is what I see based on the scans. As etanick already pointed out, there is some discoloration on the left back cover, probably light staining. I believe this book was exposed to a fair amount of moisture. I think the book had rusted staples and rust stain migration to the surrounding paper. The majority of the restoration is on the back cover. There is white color touch at both staples. I believe the staples have either been cleaned or replaced. I would assume (and check) that the cover has been reinforced as well.

It also appears that there is white color touch at the spine corners, back cover, as those areas have the same look as the paper by the staples. After seeing that, it made me look real close at the top & bottom edges for trimming. It's extremely hard to see if a book has been trimmed by looking at scans, but I certainly have my suspicions.

On the plus side, the front cover looks nice! (thumbs u

PS. Picture #15 shows the restoration better than the other pics.

The areas around the staples on the back cover sure are a lot whiter in comparison to the surrounding areas. I agree with West. Not that my word counts, but I am going to base this on his years of experience.

I'm not nearly as capable of seeing those sorts of things as you folks obviously are. I feel like a d-bag for getting suckered, but will do the following:

upon arrival of that comic I'm going to black light it as well as inspect all the regions described as potentially restored. Unless there's been some gross misrepresentation of the image due to whatever artifacts can occur due to scans/pictures....I'll be returning said item.....

I can only thank everyone for assisting me and helping me avoid a potential issue. There's always a temptation to leap at a good deal, but in this particular case I wish I had posted this prior to making the purchase so that I could get your impressions. I certainly would have been given pause.

Further comments are encouraged and I honestly can't thank you all enough for helping a wayward collector.