• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help please - which Con to attend

14 posts in this topic

I have never been to San Diego, I love going to NY Comic Con.

Looks like I can only go to one, dont want to seem stupid here but does San Diego actually have comics and art? Or is it all Game of Thrones and X-box??

Would love to go, but NYC seems manageable (though maybe you can get an actual cell phone signal in San Diego unlike the Javits center)

and compare and contrasts?

SDCC certainly has comics and comic art and comic guests. I would imagine the majority of the comic dealers would also attend NYCC.

Attending SDCC would give you the opportunity to meet boardies from the west coast and visit a city that's very different from NY. IMHO every comic fan should attend SDCC at least once.

Agree. I love SDCC and every fan that can go at least once should try. A friend who is from ny and goes to both says he likes sdcc a little more. If you are into the post con thing it would be very tough to beat San Diego I think.

I have attended SDCC since the late 80s and NYC the last two years. It would be tough to obtain tickets to SDCC at this time, so if you know somebody, get a dealer pass. Tickets for NYC should be available shortly.

SDCC has vastly superior panels, exclusives, and post con events. There is much more to do outside the convention in New York than San Diego. The big time dealers will show up at both. However, some dealers only show up at one or the other. I found the lines in NYC move faster than SDCC.

I drive in San Diego, but walk in New York.

Hotel rooms will be sky high for one week in San Diego, even the fleabag places, but are always expensive in New York.

Cell phone connections will be slow and problematic at both. Took five minutes to set up Paypal payment to Filter81 at NYC. Make sure your cell phone has a full charge.

I have never been to San Diego, I love going to NY Comic Con.

Looks like I can only go to one, dont want to seem stupid here but does San Diego actually have comics and art? Or is it all Game of Thrones and X-box??

Would love to go, but NYC seems manageable (though maybe you can get an actual cell phone signal in San Diego unlike the Javits center)

and compare and contrasts?

If you would use Hotwire.com you could afford to attend both, duh.

SDCC is 'better' IMO, but if you already live in/near NYC, the additional cost involved in going to SDCC may not be worth it. If you want to meet comic creators, its a wash. If you want to go to panels of your favorite shows/movies/creators, SDCC probably has the edge.

Art is probably a wash.

If you want to see pretty girls dressed up or other cool costumes, edge to CA.

Its sort of a different experience. SDCC takes over SD. NYCC is just another event in/near NYC.

San Diego has the best weather in America, beach front property, etc.

I've gone to both just once. SDCC was more epic, and that was a few years before it got really popular.

Both are crowded as hell. But I think SDCC spacing is better.

SDCC barely has any comics.

I think that Heroes Con has more comic dealers in the room than SDCC, and it's venue is probably 1/5 or less of SDCCs.

SDCC is not the place to go if you want the greatest selection of comics. It has the best looking girls though. And the gaslamp is fantastic.

NYCC is better for comics though.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a con experience. I've gone to SDCC every year since 1992 and will defend the show to my dying breath. I think in terms of the experience, definitely for the programming and after con experience, SDCC can't be beat. I think there is a good amount of comic dealers and art at SDCC, it just seems less than NYCC because there's so much more for sale at SDCC.

If you're looking for a comic show with a good mix of dealers and artists, go to NYCC, save your money from the airfare/hotel costs of SD and buy something good. :)

Joel

Thanks all

I go to see Art and Comics and Boardies

Given the family situation (i.e. I have one) after hours activities are limited (i.e. non-existent)

I am happily married with a hot wife so technically I do not go for the girls but I do appreciate their effort

I found NYCC to be quite crowded at times and I imagine SD to be worse, I have family in NYC so its free to stay.

The kids and I had a great time in NYC last year, picked up some good stuff.

My wife however booked us with friends to go to Napa in October, you guessed it, October 10th etc which stinks but I will smile and drink my wine.

I would go to Chicago but seems like there is not much art there

May have to plan for SDCC in 2014

Thanks all

I go to see Art and Comics and Boardies

Given the family situation (i.e. I have one) after hours activities are limited (i.e. non-existent)

I am happily married with a hot wife so technically I do not go for the girls but I do appreciate their effort

I found NYCC to be quite crowded at times and I imagine SD to be worse, I have family in NYC so its free to stay.

The kids and I had a great time in NYC last year, picked up some good stuff.

My wife however booked us with friends to go to Napa in October, you guessed it, October 10th etc which stinks but I will smile and drink my wine.

I would go to Chicago but seems like there is not much art there

May have to plan for SDCC in 2014

Not true on the art in Chicago, I have been to 2 out of 3 C2E2's and they have gotten better. I also got a sketch from George Perez last year. Which was really cool! I have been to Wizard World a few times and they have a nice artist alley also.

SDCC :cloud9: