• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Key for $500

49 posts in this topic

Another interesting book is Fantastic Four 4. First Subby. If they ever include him in a movie it will jump in value.

I think the "entry point" on that book is higher than $500. $500 is 3.5 on GPA.

Silver surfer #1 but thats my two scents can buy a decent one for that price

I agree with this OR:

Fantastic Four #48 6.0 - 6.5

Iron Man #1 5.0 ish

I have some other suggestions, but they would edge into bronze... :grin:

Good luck my friend.

BB 28 may have some upside.....since the OP mentioned investment. If he gets the Av 4....he may be more likely to hold long term. Getting stan's sig on the splash might be a nice touch. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

(thumbs u All are great suggestions here. I'm a Marvel fan, and Avengers is my favorite title, but I agree B&B 28 will hold value and is always in demand. Might want to consider FF 4 or 12, also.

I am probably also going to be looking at spending $400-500 on a Silver Age key in the next couple of months. I think I might be looking at lower grade stuff though. I've narrowed it down to this list:

Action Comics #252

Strange Tales #110

Sgt. Fury #1

Thoughts?

I am probably also going to be looking at spending $400-500 on a Silver Age key in the next couple of months. I think I might be looking at lower grade stuff though. I've narrowed it down to this list:

Action Comics #252

Strange Tales #110

Sgt. Fury #1

Thoughts?

I like the purple cover on Action 242, and it's a dime era book, but Brainiacs first appearance seems to be a lesser key IMHO. There are always a ton of these on ebay in low grade.

Strange Tales 110 is a Marvel "superhero" key, and I guess still considered a relatively cheap one, but Doc Strange isn't on the cover, and that will always limit it's appeal for me. I think ST 107 with the great Torch/Subby battle cover or 114 with the first SA Captain America are way cooler books ( okay, he wasn't the real Cap, but it was the first re-appearance of the "character").

Sgt. Fury is a #1 issue, and though a war comic, the character is firmly integrated into the Marvel Universe in a way that DC War heroes never were. It also appears to be a tad less common than Action 242 or Strange Tales 110

I couldn't say which has better investment value - I suppose that depends. Brainiac in a Superman movie or a Doctor Strange movie are far more likely to impact values than anything to do with Sgt. Fury as opposed to Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD.

Based solely on personal appeal, I'd probably go with Sgt. Fury.

Avengers 4 really isn't much of a key,now Avengers 1 is a good one! (thumbs u

I agree.

Spidey is the most liquid title. Has been for some time now, and I don't see that changing.

ASM #13, 14, 15 are always good books to have. #31 is the most "under-appreciated" of the key Spidey books. Can't go wrong with 39 or 40.

These are good suggestions.

More of a minor key than st 110 but you could get a vf+ XM 12 for $500 (12 month gpa is 494) Or a XM 14 in vf/nm and have some change left over (12 month gpa is $378)

Action Comics #252

Strange Tales #110

Sgt. Fury #1

Thoughts?

What about Superboy 68? It is relatively rare, hard to find in grade and vf copies are only going for around $950 which I think is a bargain. Plus bizzaro is more well known than both the martian man hunter (though that is debatable) and brainiac.

Action Comics #252

Strange Tales #110

Sgt. Fury #1

Thoughts?

I like the purple cover on Action 242, and it's a dime era book, but Brainiacs first appearance seems to be a lesser key IMHO. There are always a ton of these on ebay in low grade.

Strange Tales 110 is a Marvel "superhero" key, and I guess still considered a relatively cheap one, but Doc Strange isn't on the cover, and that will always limit it's appeal for me. I think ST 107 with the great Torch/Subby battle cover or 114 with the first SA Captain America are way cooler books ( okay, he wasn't the real Cap, but it was the first re-appearance of the "character").

Sgt. Fury is a #1 issue, and though a war comic, the character is firmly integrated into the Marvel Universe in a way that DC War heroes never were. It also appears to be a tad less common than Action 242 or Strange Tales 110

I couldn't say which has better investment value - I suppose that depends. Brainiac in a Superman movie or a Doctor Strange movie are far more likely to impact values than anything to do with Sgt. Fury as opposed to Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD.

All good points, I appreciate the feedback.

I am thinking about Action #252 rather than #242, though. First Supergirl. :cloud9: and a great cover.

But I do agree with your ST #110 assessment. If only it had a cool cover...

Action Comics #252

Strange Tales #110

Sgt. Fury #1

Thoughts?

All good points, I appreciate the feedback.

I am thinking about Action #252 rather than #242, though. First Supergirl. :cloud9: and a great cover.

But I do agree with your ST #110 assessment. If only it had a cool cover...

:facepalm: Don't know how I misread that. Given Supergirl's enduring popularity, I could see Action 242 being the choice. While it also appears to be a fairly common book in lower grade, it's probably a more important book than the first legion appearance for today's comic fans.

With $500 you need to determine how confident you are in grading comics as there will be more bang for your buck if you buy a raw rather than CGC graded books.

An alternative if looking for better presenting books would be to buy restored?

Assuming looking at Marvel CGC graded unrestored SA keys you could get the following:

Avengers #1 1.5

Avengers #4 4.5

Daredevil #1 3.5

FF #5 2.0

Sgt Fury #1 4.0

ST #110 4.5

TTA #27 1.5

TTA #35 5.5

Great list!

From it, I would recommend the Avengers #4. I have a friend who was in a similar boat (wanting a SA key, but didn't really know what he liked). I found him a presentable copy and he absolutely loves it. Captain America is a cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, and, with it's awesome cover, an Avengers #4 in 4.5 would definitely impress.

Spidey is the most liquid title. Has been for some time now, and I don't see that changing.

ASM #13, 14, 15 are always good books to have. #31 is the most "under-appreciated" of the key Spidey books. Can't go wrong with 39 or 40.

Wow, when I purchased it because I always loved its cover, I did not imagine it was such an important issue! :o

http://www.samruby.com/AmazingSpider-ManA/amazing_spiderman_031.htm

With $500 you need to determine how confident you are in grading comics as there will be more bang for your buck if you buy a raw rather than CGC graded books.

An alternative if looking for better presenting books would be to buy restored?

Assuming looking at Marvel CGC graded unrestored SA keys you could get the following:

Avengers #1 1.5

Avengers #4 4.5

Daredevil #1 3.5

FF #5 2.0

Sgt Fury #1 4.0

ST #110 4.5

TTA #27 1.5

TTA #35 5.5

Great list but Avengers #4 in 4.0 are going for 600 now a days.