• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BLOB'S QUICKEE $100 BOOK SALE - GA BATMAN 72 74 ACTION 189 ASM 47 50

24 posts in this topic

Okeedoke, here's the deal: Each book in this thread is priced at $100 each, which includes shipping in the USA. Take $5 of for each book above 1 you buy. Paypal, cash, money order, etc. accepted. First "I'll take it" beats PMed offers.

SOLD - Batman 72 - VG/VG+, somewhere around there. That white you see on the top is not the first page of the comic popping through, the cover is slightly miscut, but not really miswrapped. A really nice tough to find early 50's Batman and the last of the 52 pagers I believe.

batman72_zps9b0d07ca.jpg

batman72back_zps57951a6c.jpg

SOLD - Batman 74 - also around a VG/VG+. Used in the POp comic witchhunt. Might be a joker app in there too.

batman74_zpsfb8e8d86.jpg

batman74back_zps2ea252dc.jpg

Action 189. Looks like a nice F/VF except for the bottom popped staple.

action189_zps3da51e8b.jpg

action189back_zps8448a322.jpg

SOLD - ASM 50. First Kingpin. VG+ or thereabouts.

asm50_zps1037a7da.jpg

asm50back_zps8997c26d.jpg

ASM 47. 1st MJ/PP date, the Osborns show up and it's like the 5th Kraven. Nice VF/VF+ copy.

asm47_zps68303f9d.jpg

asm47back_zps84e252c2.jpg

I do not know if any of the marks on the 50's books signify that they came out of a pedigree type situation. These were all bought via someone whose only collecting experience was going to a very early NYC comic convention in about 1972, bought these and about 250 other GA books, sat on them for 25 years and sold them to my old LCS (he had the materials from the convention too).

popped is always how i've seen it described, but someone wanted clarification. it's a nice book, doesn't come up on ebay by the box load either, that bottom staple is the only real problem. honestly, i'd rather have it popped than nasty and rusty and I've seen cgc 4.5s with a big rusty staple and the rest of the book doesn't look nearly as nice as this one either.

Hi blob,

from what I have learned, independently of the beauty of a book, a popped staple usually does not allow more than a VG range, so 4.5 at best. I believe this goes for both CGC and Overstreet grading rules. I don’t recall how high you can go with a completely detached cover.

A popped staple in the centerfold allows a F range grade, about 6.0.

Stating a X.X grade "Qualified" is another way, but personally I am very annoyed by popped staples, as I don’t feel comfortable in handling the book, with the fear the cover could come off completely.

But of course there is no problem as the defect is clearly stated. :)

Hi blob,

from what I have learned, independently of the beauty of a book, a popped staple usually does not allow more than a VG range, so 4.5 at best. I believe this goes for both CGC and Overstreet grading rules. I don’t recall how high you can go with a completely detached cover.

A popped staple in the centerfold allows a F range grade, about 6.0.

Stating a X.X grade "Qualified" is another way, but personally I am very annoyed by popped staples, as I don’t feel comfortable in handling the book, with the fear the cover could come off completely.

But of course there is no problem as the defect is clearly stated. :)

I don't particularly like popped staples either but it has to be one of the least obvious "major" defects. Half the time you can't really tell the book has a popped staple without looking for it. I like those kind of defects when a book is in my collection.

Well, putting aside whether the commentary is better left for the grading forum, I have owned slabbed, old blue lable GA CGC 5.0s (and I believe a 5.5 as well) with one popped staple (and they weren't NM or anything otherwise), so I dunno about "cgc" rules. I think nowadays cgc may be more inclined to give it the higher grade in a green lable, though I do not purport to know their methodology. OPG allows a 1/2 inch spine split in VG/Fine...so, arguably, the spine split just happens to be where the bottom staple is!

I don't think I'm totally off my rocker citing to the VG/Fine OPG price for the book, particularly when I'm only looking for 62% of that price . If you like VG+ better, It is still $146, so $100 shipped is still a pretty good deal for a pretty nice HTF GA (or atom age if you prefer) Action...a pretty cruddy looking copy recently sold for $70+.

Grading discussions are funny and subjective...OPG allows a spine roll, 1 inch spine split, a centerfold detached at one staple, a "not completely detached" cover, a missing 1/4 inch corner, a missing 1/8 square and foxing and soiling are allowed in in VG, apparently, maybe all in the same book!...yet if there's a small clipped interior coupon that does does not impact the story on an otherwise NM book, many folks here will say the book can't be better than a "Fair" (which in OPG allows the whole centerfold to be missing!)

They are just different criteria, I don’t find them "funny".

I agree that your book is very nice, and the price is good, but personally I don’t go much with the grades, rather with what’s comfortable with me, and the popped staples are one of my "pet hates", but it would surely be a good bargain for someone not annoyed by it.

There are strictly grading renowned sellers, like Worldwide (but also Metropolis), which for a NM book with a popped staple, especially if belonging to some "pedigree" would not make such a price difference.

So, grading is not subjective, it follows certain criteria, but ultimately the collector buys what he likes. Personally, for example, I do not mind color touch at all, but I dislike miswraps.

hey, no offense, and i'm usually a jolly camper around here, and I probably should have said it after the first obnoxious post, but get the f*uc*k off my sales thread, ok? i'm selling stuff to help pay my bills and keep a roof over my family's head, don't f**ck with that.

hey, no offense, and i'm usually a jolly camper around here, and I probably should have said it after the first obnoxious post, but get the f*uc*k off my sales thread, ok? i'm selling stuff to help pay my bills and keep a roof over my family's head, don't f**ck with that.

:applause:

When are people going to learn to keep certain thing's to a P.M.

First of all, blob, it’s been you that raised the "popped staple" question, if not for that I’d not even have participated.

Second, as you see, what I stated is correct: it makes no difference as long as the buyer likes the comic, so the discussion hasn’t harmed the sale at all.

So much for trying to be objective and balanced… :sick:

First of all, blob, it’s been you that raised the "popped staple" question, if not for that I’d not even have participated.

Second, as you see, what I stated is correct: it makes no difference as long as the buyer likes the comic, so the discussion hasn’t harmed the sale at all.

So much for trying to be objective and balanced… :sick:

I'm thinking we're having cultural differences here on when/where is the right place/time to say what that might be perceived as a threadkrap.. I'll leave it at that. I'm not known for blowing up on these boards (I don't think?). I'm having a rough day at work.