• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is hulk 181 a good investment book?

24 posts in this topic

Im a little late to this thread, i know. Anyways...

Hulk 181, IMHO, is one of the absolute best comic books you could ever invest in (i own two). Aside from the 9.8's, and possibly 9.6's, I've seen this book incline tremendously within the past 10 years, especially with the mid grades.

Some collectors will tell you that this book is not a good investment, because its not a rare book, or they point the finger of blame at the 9.8's that used to sell for much higher. This approach should be disregarded for two reasons.

One...the 9.8's used to sell for much more because there were less of them, and there wasn't an established or normal price for this book at that time. The more 9.8s that showed up, the more they offset the value. The complete opposite has happened with the other grades.

Two...rarity doesn't always = value. Take a good look at NM 98 or BA 12. Those books were mass produced, yet people pay big money for the higher grades. I think it was only a year ago that NM 98 was $300 for the 9.8's, now they sell for $400. Do a little research and you'll see what was paid for a 9.9 or a 10!

So yes, i think this book is an excellent investment. Wolverine is a staple character, and always will be. He's up there with Bats, Supes, and Spidey! I don't think Hulk 181 is the next AF 15, however, i do think that Hulk 181 is the next ASM 1.

keeps going up so numbers say yes

No. 9.8's have lost a lot of value from their all time highs.

9.8s are generally outliers for most books. Buy any other grade and you should be pretty happy.