• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is hulk 181 a good investment book?

24 posts in this topic

Is hulk 181 a good investment book? I know the silver age classics seem to be harder to find in good shape and hold more prestige, but hulk 181 is soooo popular, but i see soooooo many of them and a lot in very high grades.

What do you guys think?

I say yes in a big way. I remember having the chance to but AF15 , X men 1 etc back in the 80's for almost nothing compared to what it goes for today. (When I asked friends I got the same answers alot of folks give about bronze age books, they will never go up, not rare etc) I figure in 10-15 years the price you can get say a 8.0 Hulk 181 today will seem like a deal. And I also agree , get a Hulk 180 . so much cheaper and yes he real first appearance (Cameo) . A book that I feel should always have the same $ value as 181. (same goes for ASM 299) .

Hulk #181 is a very collected book, but it’s strictly related to the popularity of Wolverine as an isolated character (hey, he’s always been a loner, you know :) ).

Other silver age "key" books, inversely, hold more value (by all means) because their role in shaping the foundations of the Marvel age.

Personally, I’d favor a Giant-Size X-Men #1 over a Hulk #181: here you have Wolverine in context, and in a great story too, and the book is a "key" as well, if you are also thinking about monetary value.

And yes, by the way. The book just keeps gaining with no end in sight.
high grade hulks have fallen as much as 50% in the past few years :o

mid grade seem to be steady, and now may be an ok time to dip back into the high grade, but when 9.8 used to sell for 20-25K and can now be had for 50% of that, I wouldn't say that is a good investment (shrug)

I agree hulk 181 is not a great investment mainly because I see wolverines current popularity declining this matters because there are so many of the book available and so few buyers at current price . If you look back 10 years ago wolverine was a top 5 book evry month now he is more a top 50 book . Not saying the book will drop much or any but that is a bad long term sign for a book that is the most exspensive bronze age book.

mid grade seem to be steady, and now may be an ok time to dip back into the high grade, but when 9.8 used to sell for 20-25K and can now be had for 50% of that, I wouldn't say that is a good investment (shrug)

Isn't the reduction in value because more high grade are added to the census everyday destroying any claim they are rare/scarce and correspondingly lessening the demand.

If so, won't this ultimately be true for all silver-modern books in orders magnitude over GA books.

Summary: only buy GA highgrade?

Thoughts please Gator.

What is your budget and time frame for profit? If its in the 4 figure range, I think an X-Men 1 (or any major SA marvel key) is a safer book to park your money in. At any rate, The return will still be stronger putting $800 in an Avengers 1 or X-Men 1 than a Hulk 181. You will have to sit on the hulk a longer time to to turn a reasonable profit assuming you pay FMV for it today.

I bought a hulk 181 CGC 9.4 oww copy back in 2002 for $2125. As census numbers started to climb for 9.4+ copies, prices softened so I flipped it for $2500 around 2004 and put that money into GA/SA. Today, 9.4 hulk 181s are going for what $3k tops? So in about 10 years, I would have made about $900 had I kept that copy to this day. That $2500 was put into much stronger books ten years ago and have more than turned over in/out of my collection since then. I still have a mid grade 181 but I bought for enjoyment and not really for a big margin.

Isn't the reduction in value because more high grade are added to the census everyday destroying any claim they are rare/scarce and correspondingly lessening the demand.

If so, won't this ultimately be true for all silver-modern books in orders magnitude over GA books.

Summary: only buy GA highgrade?

Thoughts please Gator.

supply and demand are equal variables when it comes to comic book values/realized prices (there are a myriad of other factors that affect to lessor degree of course ) high grade in any era, if bought at the wrong time, can be a problem. Far more so with bronze forward as there exists a far greater potential for hg copies to surface. Golden age books in any grade are generally not increasing in supply to an extent that would "crash" prices paid. I would think a mid grade silver book has greater potential than a high grade because demand should be higher at those price levels.