• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine 1 crisp white pages if not mint 10 then why please

21 posts in this topic

Impossible to tell the difference between a 9.6 and a 10.0 with a scan that size. Impossible to gauge if better than a 9.8 with any scan, as any minute flaws at that level need to be judged in hand, and even then there is a lottery effect as to what gets a 9.9 or a 10.0

That is why im hear, learning what am I missing on this one, only way to learn is ask people that already know this...ty dm

You have a great attitude.

I wouldn't grade any book higher than 9.6 from a scan. I can't see anything wrong with your book but the difference between a 9.6 and a higher grade can be so little that I'd want to see it in person to go higher.

Looks like a sweet copy.

Forget ever thinking that you will see a 9.9 or 10.0 in-hand, unless you get first crack at an unopened case at a convention. That would be my first bit of advice. Second, 9.8s take practice to find, and the best way is to look at slabbed 9.8s for reference, as well as 9.6s (don't bother looking at 9.2-9.4s, those are easier to see why they are not 9.8s). The more you look, the better you will get at recognizing what makes a 9.8.

My first sub, I put three 9.8 candidates in, got one back. After I studied my rejects and non-rejects I already had in my collection, I subbed again about 8 months later with 16 9.8 candidates, got 15 back.

It's like anything in life - it takes practice.

This book looks about an 8.0 to me. The smudges from finger prints. The spine creasing. And I didn't even look at the back. With copper age books such as this, it is not financially worth it to prescreen or try to upgrade it since there are already so many out there that have already been graded. It would be easier and more cost effective to find one on ebay.

However if you like the hunt, good luck,

CGC rarely grades in the 9.9 or 10 area. The slightest or smallest imperfection or blemish will result in a 9.8. Really hard finding one without one small miniscule blemish.

While page quality seems important, it's factor in grading is only on the higher level book. You could have a beautiful Fine 6.0 book with "white pages" or you could could have a NM+ 9.6 with "off-white" pages.

That is why im hear, learning what am I missing on this one, only way to learn is ask people that already know this...ty dm

You have a great attitude.

I wouldn't grade any book higher than 9.6 from a scan. I can't see anything wrong with your book but the difference between a 9.6 and a higher grade can be so little that I'd want to see it in person to go higher.

Looks like a sweet copy.

+1. So many people just blast there way onto the boards, with a know it all attitude, and they just get hammered and leave. It's nice to see new people who actually care enough to ask questions, and learn. There's so much knowledge here, from people that have collected or been in the business for centuries. A lot of my personal knowledge has come from these boards over the years. WTTB.

consider sending them for pre-screening.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/prescreen.asp

I believe board member joeypost also pre-screens.

Some of us don't have the $$ for sending in 50 books to pre-screen (unless CGC will actually allow you to send in less for pre-screen, I don't know), so you have to (and should) learn how to grade. It's not an easy art to learn and I certainly am still learning after 15 years or so of my attempt to learn the art. I'm still amazed at how some of the boardies can look at a scan and find restoration on a book, that doesn't look obvious, to my eyes anyway.

Also, comics were once bought to read and enjoy and no one ever thought they were going to break the bank with their collection. Sure it's nice to have a book worth some big bucks, but if you're only in it for the money, just buy it slabbed.

Once you hone your grading skills, and you like the challenge of the hunt for the rare 9.9/10, then seek out the raw books and see what you come up with. Just be careful on websites like Ebay for example. There are scammers, there are people that don't know how to grade or and there are those that don't care and just just assign a grade. I see a lot of books given high grade and I know if I were to buy the book, I would be returning said book once I saw it.

Whatever you do, have fun with it, that's what comics are supposed to be.

Just my 2c.