• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about Backing Boards

14 posts in this topic

For anyone who has experience with both the Bill Cole Enterprises backing boards, as well as the Gerber line:

After a return to the hobby from a long hiatus, I recently bought some BCE thin-extenders. I was disappointed at how flimsy they are...not much sturdier than the comic, and in my humble opinion offer only the most basic protection to spine and corners. Even doubling them up doesn't seem to help much.

Are the Gerber Halfbacks just as flimsy?

As for the heavier guage boards from each company --- are they about the same as well with regard to stiffness?

Finally, is there any difference in the buffering "power" of one over the other?

I'll gladly accept all opinions on the pros and cons (I know Gerber's line is less expensive, but there must be differences, or how could BCE stay in business?)

Thanks!

I came back to the hobby in 2012, after a 10 year hiatus. I'm not a collector of high end or high grade, mostly of late silver/early bronze Marvels in 5.0-8.0.

I went through a bit of experimentation last year when I found myself in your boat.

The Gerber Mylite 2/Fullback combo is a tough one to beat. Books stand up without getting bent at the back of the boxes. And they display LIGHTS OUT.

Good luck with everything.

Halfbacks are 24 point thickness, same as all the modern boards the stores are selling. I haven't tried a halfback, but I've tried at least two brands of modern boards, and they roll and bend in all directions.

I have no experience with Bill Cole, but I've very happy with Gerber. Right now, there's nothing more satisfying to me than the feel of a book in a full back and a mylite 2. It feels like it would stand up to a tank shell. I'm slowly changing everything over, after finding that my last batch of cheapie boards are turning after just 5 years.

Same here, I got back into comics last year after around a 10 year hiatus (bought the odd issue here or there) and up until a month ago, was using Comicare bags and boards since the majority of shops here sell them or the Collectorline series.

Read a few threads here, dug out a small sample of comics from the 90's and took a look at the bags and boards which have dulled and yellowed. Comics I didn't re-bag after I purchased them from 2nd hand sources stick to each other!

So E. Gerber mylites2 and half-backs all the way now. I like full-backs but they cost a lot more and I think the half-backs are absolutely fine. Storage space is at a premium, so the more half-backed comics I can fit into a box, the better.

There's a thread here which provided to be extremely useful, I'll do a quick search for it

Edit: Here

Ok sometimes you have to ask the question to the people. Ok given my new found backing board issues, I understand I should use E-Gerbers backing boards what size bags do I need for my Werewolf by Night & She-Hulk and do I need differnet sized bags for modern runs???

Confused RULKFAN1000