• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homestuck Hunters: Giving Fandom A Bad Name

62 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure there are a few people on this board who dress up.

?

My response was in regards to not wanting to be included in a "we" statement that I don't agree with. I'm 100% for any individual to enjoy their con experience in the way the want as long as it doesn't harm anyone in the process. This includes dressing up if you so choose to.

I was in agreement with you.

I think people who argue for the sake of argument should be agreed with. :devil:

+ 1

Now, the big question, why do I care and why should you care? To put it simply, we should care because it reflects on all of us. Conventions are getting bigger and bigger every year. Keeping track of creators' and celebrities' appearances keeps me looking at guest lists pretty regularly and even the small shows are drawing bigger and better names every day. Bigger and better names mean better attendance. Better attendance means that despite any and all "doom and gloom" scenarios that are put forward, this hobby is, at the very least, solid.

So you want more attendance at cons, but you want cosplayers to go away? What kind of attendees would you like?

No. I want the cosplayers who aren't fans to go away. The ones who are attention-seeking or attending in hopes of getting special favors from the talent that shows up. The ones that don't believe they have to wait in line or that they are somehow superior to the average fan or convention attendee, those are the ones I want to stay away.

As long as they understand that we all paid the same fee to get in and we all have to wait in the same lines, I'm okay with it. I do get frustrated with the clogged aisles, but I've taken more than one or two pictures myself, so I remind myself that it is all in fun.

My real goal with my post was to make others aware that there are those among us who would see fellow convention goers intimidated and threatened. As this hobby and its conventions grow and expand more toward the mainstream, we need to keep in mind how we came to be here and what makes us unique. We tolerate each other incredibly well and are generally welcoming to all. I'm hoping that making members of the community aware, we can avoid serious problems.

I hope parents would always encourage their children to enjoy a hobby and participate as much as possible. But if a parent refuses to allow their child to attend a convention I would prefer that it be for a Hank Hill sort of reason, "it just ain't right" and not out of fear of true harm befalling them.

?

My response was in regards to not wanting to be included in a "we" statement that I don't agree with. I'm 100% for any individual to enjoy their con experience in the way the want as long as it doesn't harm anyone in the process. This includes dressing up if you so choose to.

I think people who argue for the sake of argument should be agreed with. :devil:

+ 1

lol

Thanks for sharing, I would hope that any harassment would be reported but at least now we're informed as to a specific problem.

What the hell is wrong with people :facepalm:

'Tis easier to hate than to love :(
We need to stop all this dork on dork crime.
I watched American Splendor today - it was awesome!
I've never heard of it, imdb's summary sounds like it would be something I'd like.

It is worth watching for Paul Giamatti as Harvey alone.

I thought the acting was superb. Had me laughing out at the outrageous of characters. I was amazed they took in the little girl at the end. Maybe his wife finally wore him down.

?

(thumbs u

I don't understand why people care about what other people wear. Sure some costumes are slow, or overly large. Sometimes people block the aisle for photo's.

Take a deep breath and remember you're at a convention celebrating your hobby, it's not supposed to be stressful.

That is really what I was getting at. Comics fans have traditionally been very accepting and I hope to see that continue.

When I said, "we may not like them" I intended for the emphasis to be on the may I didn't mean any animosity toward cosplayers at all. I meant that just like some of us don't like Marvel, some don't like DC, some don't like GA books, some don't like Modern books, we all still welcome the people who like those into the shows. We should do the same with cosplayers.

While we are welcoming the cosplayers, I would hope that we would also discourage anyone who would actively work to prevent them from showing up to cons and most especially anyone who would threaten or intimidate them.

?

And I'm in agreement with both of you! Hopefully I clarified that in my last post.

?

And I'm in agreement with both of you! Hopefully I clarified that in my last post.

(thumbs u

Absolutely.

Most of the time I get a good laugh at most of them. Like dude...you wore that! What were you thinking???

I've rarely been bothered by them. It's sometimes a double edged sword. Sometimes, these girls are wearing overexposed clothing. Okay, sometimes (rarely), that's not a bad a thing (again, I reiterate....RARELY). But other times, I've seen rooms filled with these "girls" posing all over the floors in provocative poses while a lot of dealers and fans snap pics away. Half of them seem like "Dealer Groupies". And again, not a problem for the most part.....

But I get a little queasy when I see this activity going on when a bunch of 5-13 year old kids walking by. I swear, you can almost get away with anything in BAD taste as long as you are wearing a costume. Sometimes I feel like an attendant or security/police officer should step in and say "Excuse me, you need to put more clothing on or clean up your act a bit"....but me personally, I've never seen it happen yet.

Now, the big question, why do I care and why should you care? To put it simply, we should care because it reflects on all of us. Conventions are getting bigger and bigger every year. Keeping track of creators' and celebrities' appearances keeps me looking at guest lists pretty regularly and even the small shows are drawing bigger and better names every day. Bigger and better names mean better attendance. Better attendance means that despite any and all "doom and gloom" scenarios that are put forward, this hobby is, at the very least, solid.

So you want more attendance at cons, but you want cosplayers to go away?

What kind of attendees would you like?

[font:Book Antiqua]The ones that take a shower and use deodorant...[/font]

:idea:

?

+ 1

smiley_nah.gif

So you want more attendance at cons, but you want cosplayers to go away?

What kind of attendees would you like?

[font:Book Antiqua]The ones that take a shower and use deodorant...[/font]

:idea:

Your secret is out! YOU ARE JOHN BYRNE!

lol

?

+ 1

smiley_nah.gif
+ 1

:grin:

It's sometimes a double edged sword. Sometimes, these girls are wearing overexposed clothing. Okay, sometimes (rarely), that's not a bad a thing (again, I reiterate....RARELY). But other times, I've seen rooms filled with these "girls" posing all over the floors in provocative poses while a lot of dealers and fans snap pics away. Half of them seem like "Dealer Groupies". And again, not a problem for the most part.....

But I get a little queasy when I see this activity going on when a bunch of 5-13 year old kids walking by. I swear, you can almost get away with anything in BAD taste as long as you are wearing a costume. Sometimes I feel like an attendant or security/police officer should step in and say "Excuse me, you need to put more clothing on or clean up your act a bit"....but me personally, I've never seen it happen yet.

I'm the same way. I hate to be a prude, but I'm also trying to think of the bigger picture and what parents with younger kids would be thinking.

Again, they are not technically hurting anyone, so it's not a huge deal. I just wish more people would consider all of the attendees.

OH MY GOD... i had no idea this was goin on.

these folks need a few trips to the woodshed to learn some respect.

A year or so back, we had a soldier who had died in Iraq, that was being buried around here, and that "church" in Kansas(i think), theatend to come down and protest the burial. Needless to say alot of rednecks(like me), bikers, farmers, business men and women, and real Church goin folks, all of us are just good ole folks, showed up on the road in between the Church where the services were held, and the graveyard, needless to say, the so called "church" people were never heard from again in this area.

that is what needs to happen out west there, us collectors who get pissed off due to some "dim witted" people makin threats, we need to stand up to folks we know are in the wrong on this, friendship be dammed. some things are alot more important than just havin a friendship ruined.

Stand up people, do what's right, not necisarily whats easiest.

Hey guys! I'm a girl who dresses up like comic book characters! I don't block hallways for pictures, and hey I may even know a thing or two about funny books! To those of you who generally don't like cosplayers, whatever. You have no impact on my life and really I don't have an impact on yours.

Now to be serious. People who pay to go to conventions with the sole intent of ruining another persons good time are deplorable. Bullying is a serious thing, even in our hobby. While I might not be a huge Homestuck fan, they have just as much right as I do to celebrate what they love in a safe environment.

they have just as much right as I do to celebrate what they love in a safe environment.
:applause: this sums up my thoughts exactly, I'm just not as eloquent.