• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

Haha I submitted a $2 OBO offer. His response is fantastic:

"$550 is a typo. It was supposed to be $150. Haven't been able to edit it. Will probably end listing and relist with correct BIN. Ed"

Even at 150 that is an insane listing. In NM that book is what? $35? $40? Did I miss the Hellcat Netflix/Stand Alone Film announcement? Or maybe he is the secret person in Avengers 2...

Ha! Wow...it takes 2 seconds to correct that and $150 is still way too much. Overstreet has it at $35 for 9.2. Or maybe Hellcat will turn out to be the mother of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch; she had a secret affair with Dr. Doom when she accompanied Millie on a modeling shoot in Latveria. They had to keep it a secret so first they made it seem like the Whizzer was their father and then Magneto.

I think you may not be able to edit the price when offers are awaiting expiration.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Looks like he ended the listing and put it back up for $150...which still seems too high. And then Justice League of America #1 is listed at $2,800 in VF+ condition...which could go for a lot more if it were a true VF+. I don't get the prices at all or how Fantastic Four 44 can be listed as a 9.9 for $850 especially since it's had some restoration work.

I bought an Avengers # 57 from him, he graded it VF - it arrived and was VG+ at best.

To be fair, he refunded including return shipping from the UK.

Of course he did. That is his MO. Overgrade badly and hope that the buyer either isn't good enough at grading to know the difference or too shy/lazy/whatever to go get a refund. That is how he keeps his 100% positive feedback, going back to his Robojo days this is how he always did it.

Well, I purchased a Strange Tales 131 for $170.75 from Kellyssuperheroes.

This is what was advertised. "Strange Tales #131 NM 9.4 Cr/OW pages 1965 Marvel silver age Dr. Strange #181972776141"

I sent it to CGC for grading, and I got a purple label saying it is 7.5. I sent a message to Ed Kelly asking if I could get a refund, and this is what I got.

"The comic was listed with full disclosure of the trimming, and it also has color touch (the CGC may have missed it, but that too was fully disclosed. This was disclosed in the details section of the listing. "Slight color touch, slightly trimmed". If you review all of my listings, all of the unrestored items have the searchable keyword, "unrestored", in the title itself. All of the restored comics do not bear that in the title. The main problem with the grading, IMO, and going by anecdotal evidence of many collectors who submit restored comics to the CGC and CBCS, is that it appears if you don't list on the submission form that the comic is restored, the grading will be harsh. That comic looks almost flawless. For it to receive a 7.5, unless damaged in transit to the CGC, is farcical. My belief is that because it was submitted without mention of the restoration, which was fully disclosed in the listing, they gave an otherwise NM example a deliberately harsh 7.5. 7.5s typically show many spine stresses, creases, wear, torn edges, tape, etc. That comic has none of that. Ed"

So I am not sure because when I went to the CGC website, it said that trimmings of any kind will bring it down to a C grading, and on this CGC seal it says slight B-1 so it appears CGC is actually being nice about the grading. I guess I did not know how to read between the lines. It was my first silver age comic that I invested in, so this is a lesson. He is right about the appearance of it without stresses, creases, wear, or torn edges, tape, ect. On the label is also says "Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover. (Top & Bottom Edge Trimmed).

So I want to know what the other collectors thing. One thing that makes me dubious is he goes by the name Ed Kelly. Now if you know much about the Tudor dynasty in England and the historical figure Edward Kelly, and the way he conned the Alchemist John Dee so he could live off him and spend all his money, I will say, if that name was not given to him at birth, he knows he is a con.

Edited by Kourosh77

If you are the person who subbed the book to CGC, then you can get grader's notes for free from their website. If it was subbed for you thru someone else, they can get you the grader's notes. This *might* tell you why it got a 7.5. Or, you could post photos of it here (preferably from before slabbing) and folks here might be able to tell you why it got a 7.5.

I bought a book from them once, when i received it in the mail, in hand i could tell it was at least one whole number overgraded. I immediately asked for a refund, seller honored it, but i never got a good feeling from them and never went back. They are very luring with grwat pricing but, my one experience with them was an overgraded book.

Some more experienced people might want to chime in, but this seller bears a lot of resemblance to the guy who has been scamming for years, Danny Dupcak. He's also done business as comic-keys and robojo33. Google Danny Dupcak for more info.

Edited by Skynwalker

I am having a hard time uploading the picture here. It seems to be the old fashioned way where you need a web url.

The image size needs to be under 200 kb if you're going to upload it onto the CGC message board server. The default image viewer of your operating system might offer a method to do that, or you could use any other image management software.

Failing that, you can host your images for free on numerous sites (I'm not up on what the best current ones are) and then link them in your message.

Sorry not real sure what the question is. He sold you a restored book that was overgraded. It's Danny D or a clone of Danny D. Everything he sells is overgraded. At least he is now disclosing resto. Rather cheap lesson to stay away from him if you ask me.

Sorry not real sure what the question is. He sold you a restored book that was overgraded. It's Danny D or a clone of Danny D. Everything he sells is overgraded. At least he is now disclosing resto.

I agree with all of this.

But I think he sometimes disclosed restoration in the past.

But only after a the majority of people started becoming familiar with resto. When that version of his "business model" quit working, now he discloses the resto, but still sells high grade books at inflated grades. That's been the common theme among all those sellers. Yes, they're high grade, but they're not the uber high grade that he lists them at, and if you notice, the pictures are angled such that they don't give you a good enough view to see all defects that might be present.

At any rate, I would recommend everybody stay away from this guy, too, especially after this latest incident. I agree with Lord Rahl, this was fortunately, a relatively cheap lesson. It could have been much worse.

Sorry not real sure what the question is. He sold you a restored book that was overgraded. It's Danny D or a clone of Danny D. Everything he sells is overgraded. At least he is now disclosing resto. Rather cheap lesson to stay away from him if you ask me.

You are one 100% correct!