• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you finish your comic book collection in your lifetime?

Will your comic book collection ever be complete by your OWN standards?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Will your comic book collection ever be complete by your OWN standards?

42 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is a quick poll as one of the issues I am grappling with is the fact that I will obtain all the books on my current want lists within the next one to two years. Now keep in mind that I have a specific focus in which I work from (i.e. CGC graded books in 9.2+ that sell for under $2,000 per book; and in which I consider to either be appealing, key issues, or overall good investments). This got me wondering; are any other collectors close to completing their collections (by their OWN standards) sometime in their lifetimes or is this a never ending quest for some? I am curious as to the forum's overall response.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

PS: It should be noted that my current focus is 1963-1977 issues in CGC 9.2 or higher that sell for under $2,000 each or less per book. The book also must either be appealing to myself, a semi-key or key issue, and/or a fairly good investment by my own standards of analysis. I also collect SOME 'copper age' books, but VERY few and absolutely no moderns are in my collection; nor are any 'golden age' books (at present time).

My want list includes roughly ten to twelve books and then my collection will be considered complete...

I still enjoy moderns, so I'm in the "there will always be something to buy" category.

As for back issues... I want to own the 1st appearance of every major Marvel character. Heroes and villians. Plus, I'd like to complete a run of ASM 1-400, and Uncanny X-Men 94-400. I'm confident those goals will be finished in my lifetime. (thumbs u

I will give up at some stage. Complete it? Realistically, no, I don't have a chance.

A collection is never complete...the comic collector's mindset won't allow that kind of satisfaction.

Correct.

Hence why I've sold most of what I'm collecting and now looking at other things.

A collection is never complete...the comic collector's mindset won't allow that kind of satisfaction.

I agree with this fully. It is a great statement as well. However, I collect so many things that I have to draw a logical limit somewhere. While I am not saying I will never again add another comic book to my collection; what I am saying is that when my current half a page 'want list' is done, I will be taking a small break from comic book collecting. I also want to take some time to see how the market plays out. After these last few books I think this will be a good time to do that.

I am already tired of all the super-hero movies and know other individuals who are as well. I have no desire to see Iron Man 3 until its Blu-Ray release, but want to see GI Joe Retaliation bad...

Only about ten to twelve left to go and one is one payment plan as we speak!

Respectfully,

'mint'

The cost of the remaining issues I need to complete my DC collection

(every issue from 1935 - start of the "52 upchuck") will prevent me

from completing the collection. Issues like Action 1, Superman 1,

All American 16 alone would do it. I might get down to 20 missing

and 70 incomplete during the next 30 years. At 79, I doubt I will

last 40 mot years. Even if I did, somehow I doubt I could get the

additional very expensive 70 books.