• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you finish your comic book collection in your lifetime?

Will your comic book collection ever be complete by your OWN standards?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Will your comic book collection ever be complete by your OWN standards?

42 posts in this topic

I finished what I set out to do. Finished 20 years of Marvel from 1/1960 thur 12/1979...bought every comic book they published in that time frame....and what did I start doing when I was close to this goal...expanded the years I was collecting back into the 50s (which I never really bought) so being a comic book collector...you need comics to collect. So I guess you never really finish.

I don't think collecting has an endpoint for most people. In order for my collection to be "finished," I guess I'd have to own both the nicest existing copy and a reading copy of every comic book ever published.

My goal for collecting was to have a full run of Uncanny X-Men, #1-up.

With the rampant altering of books that goes on in this so-called "hobby" (pressing, face-jobbing, spine re-alignment, trimming, etc.) that will never happen because I will always question whether my books are "virgin" or not. So, basically my collection is never going to be complete, and I am questioning more & more every day why I even need to hang on to what I have.

:shrug:

-slym

My goal for collecting was to have a full run of Uncanny X-Men, #1-up.

With the rampant altering of books that goes on in this so-called "hobby" (pressing, face-jobbing, spine re-alignment, trimming, etc.) that will never happen because I will always question whether my books are "virgin" or not. So, basically my collection is never going to be complete, and I am questioning more & more every day why I even need to hang on to what I have.

:shrug:

-slym

That's really sad slym. :sorry:

Well, it is my outlook, I don't expect anyone to share it. If they do, I feel bad for them.

And this is coming from the guy who has the X-logo tattooed on his shoulder, right where the patch on their uniforms would be.

-slym

I finally have owned every golden age book I ever wanted but I am still finding new books to collect

You have an incredible collection. I am wondering if once my collection is 'deemed' complete, if something will compel me to buy more? I thought for sure my Tiffany glass collection was complete, but I am still finding top specimens to add to my collection. Ironically, I do it on a whim without a written plan,..

Three things always happen

1. Focus of the collection changes, I.e. DC vs. Marvel or spiderman vs. batman

2. Budget increases and I want to upgrade to higher grades

3. I want more key issues!!!

One thing is for certain the costs will only increase overtime.

I could have finished my collection long ago and probably should have. I collect MAD Magazine. I was going for a run from 1 - 300 before I stopped collecting due to attending college. I am missing maybe 10 issues and most of them are from the comicbook --> Early magazine days so numbers 1 - 40. Even still, I was fortunate enough to get it when I did because they seem to have gotten a lot more popular since I started collecting them some 15 - 20 years ago.

This is a yes and no answer for me because in the short run I have already completed a number of collections. But it is also no because as soon as that happens the" whats next?" question comes up. So no because that is what collecting is by definition. The only way to meet that for me would be to stop collecting so then yes my collection would be complete. But I do not plan to stop collecting. :ohnoez::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez: