• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Bronze X-Men Collection

83 posts in this topic

I'll be posting scans of my complete Bronze Age X-Men collection in this thread. I'll post three a day (maybe not on weekends) and have three days worth up at all times (older then three days get deleted).

None of this is about condition, either good or bad. It's just about the covers on a run of books that I love. A lot of you have seen all of these I'm sure, but I'm also sure some have not. This thread is for those that haven't seen them and those that have, but never get tired of looking at them.

If you haven't read some of the early books I suggest picking up Marvel Masterworks X-Men Vol. 1-4 (#4 is due in October) that cover GS1 - #130. These are really great reads.

I hope you all enjoy looking at these covers as much as I do.

Cover - Gil Kane (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks)

Interior - Len Wein (Plot); Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Bob McLeod (Inks), Phil Rachelson (Colors), Tom Orzechowski (Letters)

Notes - New X-Men begin

xmen94.jpg

Cover - Gil Kane (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks) Gaspar Saladino (Letters)

Interior - Len Wein (Plot); Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Petra Goldberg (Colors), Karen Mantlo (Letters)

Notes - Death of Thunderbird

xmen95.jpg

Cover - Sal Buscema; Dave Cockrum (Storm figure only) (Pencils) Al Milgrom?; Dave Cockrum (Storm figure only) (Inks) ? (Colors) Dan Crespi (Letters)

Interior - Bill Mantlo (plot assist), Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Phil Rachelson (Colors), Dave Hunt (Letters)

Notes - 1st Moira MacTaggert

xmen96.jpg

Credits provided by http://www.comics.org

Notes provided by Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

i love these old comic cover, they are just so action packed compared to some of the new marvels (ultimate spider-man/x-men), thats one of the main reasons i want to brunch into older marvels, of the key comics, spidy, x-men, hulk, avenger, etc... rather then just collecting ultimate universe (i know, im lame boo.gif), which is what got me started with the comics hobbie (spent way to much on high cgc of ultimate spidy/x-men variants)

i was sprised these early x-men was bronze age already, i would thought any key comic before #100 atleast was silver, heh, oh well, thumbsup2.gif

X-Men #97

Cover - Rich Buckler (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks)

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Don Warfield (Colors), Annette Kaye (Letters)

Notes - 1st Lilandra

xmen97.jpg

X-Men #98

Cover - Dave Cockrum (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks)

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Janice Cohen (Colors), Joe Rosen (Letters)

Notes - None

xmen98.jpg

X-Men #99

Cover - Dave Cockrum (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks) Irving Watanabe (Letters)

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Frank Chiaramonte (Inks), Michele Wrightson (Colors), Gaspar Saladino (page one), Irving Watanabe (Letters)

Notes - 1st Black Tom Cassidy

xmen99.jpg

Great thread...keep those covers coming...

These bing back some memories for me as I had all these at one

point in my early years. Sold the collection of for a moped scooter

way back in the early 80's, but am now back into these.

I am trying to slowly get these back when I can find the

right prices. I just bought a 107 in F/VF. I agree that the

action covers are so much better then the poses you

see nowadays. Keep em coming OG.

X-Men #100

Cover - Dave Cockrum (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks) Dan Crespi (Letters)

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Dave Cockrum (Inks), Bonnie Wilford (Colors), Annette Kawecki (Letters)

Notes - Old X-Men vs. New New X-Men

xmen100.jpg

X-Men #101

Cover - Dave Cockrum (Pencils) Dave Cockrum (Inks) Dan Crespi? (Letters)

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Frank Chiaramonte (Inks), Bonnie Wilford (Colors), John Costanza (Letters)

Notes - 1st App Phoenix

xmen101.jpg

X-Men #102

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Bonnie Wilford (Colors), John Costanza (Letters)

Notes - Origin Storm

xmen102.jpg

Not following the X-Men at all... Why is Beast human on the cover of #100?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

As noted in the "notes" section above the scan "Old X-Men vs. New New X-Men". Bad guy builds robots of the Old X-Men and they fight the new team. thumbsup2.gif

Not following the X-Men at all... Why is Beast human on the cover of #100?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

As noted in the "notes" section above the scan "Old X-Men vs. New New X-Men". Bad guy builds robots of the Old X-Men and they fight the new team. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks! The old robot ploy.... thumbsup2.gif

Great thread Oldguy!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looking at these covers, I still have a hard time thinking that the title was on the verge of being cut and in reprints!! foreheadslap.gif

Looking at these covers, I still have a hard time thinking that the title was on the verge of being cut and in reprints!!

There's nothing like a great creative team and some new ideas to revitalise a comic book series. And who says you need a new #1 issue to do it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

X-Men #103

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Janice Cohen (Colors), John Costanza (Letters)

Notes - 1st Time Wolvie is called "Logan"

xmen103.jpg

X-Men #104

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Sam Grainger (Inks), Andy Yanchus (Colors), Bruce Patterson (Letters)

Notes - 1st Corsair and Starjamers; Magneto

xmen104.jpg

X-Men #105

Interior - Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (Pencils), Bob Layton (Inks), Andy Yanchus (Colors), Tom Orzechowski (Letters)

Notes - None

xmen105.jpg

I know I've seen a post regarding the covers on new marvel comics . Compared to these the new covers are very static and do not represent the story inside , the best way I can describe these new covers is they look like they have been " posed "

Thanks for the cool thread OG!!

The first comic I remember reading over and over again (and really launching me into comic book collecting) was X-Men 99, given to me by my older brother. After reading the cover off of the book (literally), X-Men was my book while I was growing up, all the way through Byrne until about issue 220 or so.

My older brother was into Hulk/Iron Man/Avengers, but for me, it was the X-Men all the way! 893applaud-thumb.gif