• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Collection Software

9 posts in this topic

In before "use the search function" or "Three-Fiddy"

:whee:

I cannot recommend anything nor have heard anything that has the qualities that you are looking for. Might be a keen idea to design an app for it. Make millions and profit.

I use Collectorz.com Comic Collector Pro.

However, it does not have any feature to automatically calculate the value of a book.

I am not aware of any software that does this.

If it did, I think it would somehow have to be tied into the GPA Analysis database, which is unlikely to happen.

Overstreet should turn itself into a program or app that could do this.

That would be their future. It could be a great program - everything that the book is but customisable.

I use Comic Base and it does have a value feature. It seems to have limited input in terms of the prices it is using, which I think skews the base values quite a bit. Also, it uses a simple (customizable) algorithm to determine values - as in, a 7.0 might have 58% of base value while a 2.0 could be 18% of base value - which easily gets confused when some outlier sale screws up the base value.

It's kind of useful in a very general ballpark way, but not to be relied on to the level you probably want.

I use excel for my collection and have just started a project that I hope will be able to pull data from GPA and populate it in excel. I'm hoping to be able to generate some nice graphs ;)

It's also great because you can easily organize everything. I have a page for my Spider-Man, a page for my FF, etc. and have it color coded. If I own a raw book, it's yellow with my grade listed in a column, Long with the publishing date, what I paid for it, artists/writers, etc. if it is orange, I own a slabned copy, and if it is blue, it is in the mail :)

Lots of work has gone in to it, and it is always growing, but it has proven to be the most powerful tool so far. Another option is delicious library (Mac) which will let you scan the barcode with your computer or a barcode scanner (about $60) and it imports it as an item on your virtual bookshelf. You can then enter other relevant info as you see fit, but I'm not sure if it would be the best for tracking value.

Hopefully I can have my excel/gpa project done by summer :)

Here's my response from a different thread on the same topic!

Collectorz all the way.

I'll state upfront that I am an affiliate seller of their product. But only because I bloody love it so much.

I got up and running for about $60. It'll be cheaper for you if you're in the US no doubt.. I had $ conversions and the typical iOS app higher price in Aus etc.

But, my setup was to buy the iOS app (cost me about $10) - which is universal and installed on my iPhone and iPad.

Then I bought the "Pro" version of the desktop software. 1 licence allows me multiple installs. So I installed the Mac version of the software at home and the PC version of the software at work.

When new books arrive I scan them using my iPhone and the barcode scanning functionality inbuilt to the iOS app.

Then I select the appropriate cover and details from the list returned. Edit the details and upload to the synchronisation service.

From there, I can open the software on the iPad, Mac or PC and the first step I always take is to simply download from Connect to synchronise that device.

It's so easy and so straight forward and includes so much detail, with the ability to customise to your own needs, I can't imagine using any other service.

I sincerely doubt you'd be disappointed. Plus, customer service is excellent. (I accidentally mistyped my username for the connect service, which you cannot change once set, but Customer Service (despite policy) changed it for me very rapidly with a great personal service).

Never been more rapt with a software app.

My affiliate link to the free trial. << if this is against the rules plz let me know and I'll kill the linkage.

Other thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6349796&fpart=1