• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon or Wizard LA?

48 posts in this topic

I missed the last Wondercon, but was there two years ago. It's a pretty good show, and I have to think it's better than the Wizard LA show. Plus, there will be a forum dinner, and based on Chicago, it'll be a blast!!

No, based on this year's WonderCon dinner it'll be a blast. It was an epic event in its own right. sumo.gif

No, based on this year's WonderCon dinner it'll be a blast. It was an epic event in its own right. sumo.gif

yeah somebody got a little too WASTED that night. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah! I remember, Supa, I had to modestly "sush" a certain person who was getting just a tanked - err - tad bit - rambunctious! grin.gif

uh i was speaking of somebody else, foreheadslap.gif but it's OK if you thought it was you. blush.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well that makes no sense but I DO remember gesturing most poilitely and issuing a shushing sound to SOMEONE involved in this particular conversation that wasn't you but who actually had already mentioned same a while back when the Wondercon 2003 aftermath was depicted on the boards.

So what the heck where you talking about again? confused.gif27_laughing.gif

uh i was speaking of somebody else, foreheadslap.gif but it's OK if you thought it was you. blush.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well that makes no sense but I DO remember gesturing most poilitely and issuing a shushing sound to SOMEONE involved in this particular conversation that wasn't you but who actually had already mentioned same a while back when the Wondercon 2003 aftermath was depicted on the boards.

So what the heck where you talking about again? confused.gif27_laughing.gif

893frustrated.gifmy brain hurts just trying to follow this 27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gifsign-funnypost.gif

I missed the last Wondercon, but was there two years ago. It's a pretty good show, and I have to think it's better than the Wizard LA show. Plus, there will be a forum dinner, and based on Chicago, it'll be a blast!!

That's for sure. As this was my first dinner I thought it was typical. It wasn't. At this dinner it was all about pinning Steve in a corner and drilling him nonstop about Wizard First, pressing and other things CGC has a controversial point of view about. Certainly a blast, may have been a little stressful for Steve. My other two Forum dinners were nothing like that.

Regarding Wondercon, I actually preferred it to Chicago in terms of location and venue. I've never been to the LA show but I will now be a permanent fixture at Wondercon every year. And the cool thing about Wondercon is that there is no need for a car or shuttle to the con. Dozens of hotels within blocks of Moscone and convenient busses/cable cars to take you around to tourist attractions, if interested. ------Sid

I'll get to Wondercon eventually, but Long Beach is so convenient, I can commute from home. But the panel discussions were lame this year. They held them in curtained off areas of the dealer room, and it was so loud, it was hard to focus on what the pros were saying.

• Administrator
don't be a dingleberry DL, 893naughty-thumb.gif there are basically only two real/true cities in the USA......NYC(zoo york) and SF(the city). gossip.gifforeheadslap.gif

Ever heard of Chicago and L.A.? Definitely at least on par with S.F. But NYC is really in a class by itself.

so you were there when Jim Lee was there?

Yup. That was the year. I had a blast...I had just gotten my severance from a large law firm, basically getting 3+ months of pay for nothing. So, I was flush with cash at Wondercon...not a good combination, but a lot of fun for me! I'm definitely going next year, and look forward to meeting everyone at the forum dinner, if not before.

yeah somebody got a little too WASTED that night. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah! I remember, Supa, I had to modestly "sush" a certain person who was getting just a tanked - err - tad bit - rambunctious! grin.gif

I plead a fifth . . . of gin.

I went to both last year. It depends on what you are looking for.

If you want a great deal on comic books, go to Wonder-Con. More dealers willing to make deals with you. Many of the dealers were southern California/LA dealers i.e. your typical vulture dealers that go to all of the big conventions as well as the southern California ones with their jacked up prices.

If you want to see guests, go to Wizard World LA. Big name guests were more accessible, and there was no crappy lottery system to see a celebrity like ther was at Wonder-Con (or its sister convention, San Diego Comic Con).

If you hate crowds, go to Wonder-Con. Wizard World LA's crowds were awful, especially with the exclusive lines.

If you want to visit a city with lots to do without a car, go to San Francisco. LA has one of the worst transportation systems in the US.

If you want to do the touristy entertainment stuff and/or eat for less, go to LA. San Francisco restaurants was a bit pricey compared to LA restaurants.

sign-rantpost.gif

and there was no crappy lottery system to see a celebrity like ther was at Wonder-Con (or its sister convention, San Diego Comic Con)

Yes, there was no lottery system, but I'm betting you never got to meet Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, and the Hellboy cast in total. You did have to line up for tickets to be permitted to line up for any of the above three groups. Basically Wizard organized it in such a way that if you were to line up for one celebrity, then there was no chance you could line up for another. I know for a fact that if you lined up for Galactus, you would have missed Stan Lee and Kevin Smith tickets. Thomas Jane was somewhere in the mix as well. I guess if your intent is to hit everything, a lottery system is the best, but if all you want are VERY select targets, then rushing through the entrance and immediately into your lineup of choice will work better.

Well, Wondercon it is. After haunting the Orbitz site for three weeks I was rewarded with a three hundred dollar non stop round trip ticket. Crazy money to fly into SFO from Boston...Average non stop flights were well over five hundred $ these past few weeks. Guess I'll stay at the Con hotel, the Argent.