• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Is this write-up on this an official Marvel release?

If it is, then Marvel will be calling RR just Rocket, dropping the Raccoon from his name.

They have to. Rocket Raccoon is pretty silly for the name of a character.

I can see Rocket Raccoon on the products with that character, but I doubt it will be uttered in the movie, unless its used as a one time joke. "Rocket? Rocket Raccoon?" Hollywood has distance itself from many of the names we are familiar with. Green Arrow is called The Hood on the WB Arrow (notice it's not WB Green Arrow) TV series.

I'm surprised that so many fans just let that stuff slide.

They are trying to make these characters palatable to as large an audience as possible. I'm okay with these small, superficial changes. It's wholesale changes (i.e. Mandarin in Iron Man 3) to characters that I'm not too keen on.

The character is a schlock character. Is calling a talking Raccoon "Rocket" as opposed to Rocket Raccoon going to make him any less silly?

I think just calling the character Rocket is easier for the actors to utter than Rocket Raccoon, yes. It is a step in the right direction IMHO.

If the characters name was Rocket Raccoon and the other characters called him Rocket like a nickname, I could understand that. But jumping through hoops to say it will make it more palatable for the general audience just makes my sillyometer burst.

OMG! You WERE serious! :roflmao:

:baiting:

:roflmao:

Try being a true fan of something someday and maybe you'd understand. doh!

It might be time for another PM :baiting:

Guardians_zps96f3fe24.jpg

If it is, then Marvel will be calling RR just Rocket, dropping the Raccoon from his name.

I can see Rocket Raccoon on the products with that character, but I doubt it will be uttered in the movie, unless its used as a one time joke. "Rocket? Rocket Raccoon?" Hollywood has distance itself from many of the names we are familiar with. Green Arrow is called The Hood on the WB Arrow (notice it's not WB Green Arrow) TV series.

They are trying to make these characters palatable to as large an audience as possible. I'm okay with these small, superficial changes. It's wholesale changes (i.e. Mandarin in Iron Man 3) to characters that I'm not too keen on.

The character is a schlock character. Is calling a talking Raccoon "Rocket" as opposed to Rocket Raccoon going to make him any less silly?

I think just calling the character Rocket is easier for the actors to utter than Rocket Raccoon, yes. It is a step in the right direction IMHO.

If the characters name was Rocket Raccoon and the other characters called him Rocket like a nickname, I could understand that. But jumping through hoops to say it will make it more palatable for the general audience just makes my sillyometer burst.

Laugh all you want, I don't care. You're the guy who mocks comic book fans for having arguments over whether Thor could beat the Hulk. Yet you're the same guy who got your boxers in a bunch over how comics were physically assembled. :baiting:

Try being a true fan of something someday and maybe you'd understand. doh!

A 'true fan' you say. hm

I believe the term is "alleged fan". :whistle:

I don't mind the "Rocket" name.

I think the general public is smart enough to put the 2 names together.

You loved Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern.

Love comes in many diverse shapes and forms.

:facepalm:

Geez! Chill out peeps! Everyone's different with different opinions. I know that mud slinging is an integral component to the CG experience but can we at least make the GOTG post off limits? Or how about we have "Tolerance Day" in Comics General for......all of 2014.

In regards to Rocket Raccoon, I think that they were cool when it was just in the comics but now that he's in a movie I bet the Beatle's Lawyers hit Marvel with a C & D for being too close to "Rocky Raccoon"

So, no one is saying it, so that means IDK what exactly... but this "release statement" doesn't say whom it is that is voicing the character of Groot. I thought Vin Diesel had this one locked already.

???

-slym

Probably an oversight. The Diesel as Groot news was official. If he's moved off the project I'm sure that would get immediately picked up before the information is leaked elsewhere.

So, no one is saying it, so that means IDK what exactly... but this "release statement" doesn't say whom it is that is voicing the character of Groot. I thought Vin Diesel had this one locked already.

???

-slym

Probably an oversight. The Diesel as Groot news was official. If he's moved off the project I'm sure that would get immediately picked up before the information is leaked elsewhere.

It was officially announced on the 21st. I'm not sure why Marvel/Disney didn't update the promotional material. Maybe it was too late based on internal procedure and process...

If there is any:

image33.jpg

I personally think this movie is either going to be a huge success or a huge failure. I don't really see a middle ground.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are. I was a pretty big comic buyer and I think I own maybe 5-6 issues with them in it, including the Defenders run.

People like us forget that heroes like Avengers, X-Men, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America have been building a "mass market" brand presence for decades, and when you have been consistently pumping out comics since the 40's or 60's, that means something. And not only comics, but action figures, animated series, toys, books, posters, etc., etc. etc. for decade after decade. That's building awareness on generation upon generation upon generation upon generation.

To be blunt, virtually no one outside of nerd culture has any clue who the Guardians of the Galaxy are and there certainly won't be the generational impact of a movie like Avengers to carry it along. I knew people that told me "I've been waiting for an Avengers movie since I was a kid" and they haven't picked up a comic since they were 12.

How many adults out there have been "waiting for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie since there were kids"? :tonofbricks:

Marvel has always gone by the motto that their well-known "characters sell" and if GoG turns out to be an Avengers-level hit, then they have proven themselves wrong by releasing a successful movie about virtually-unknown characters that are B or C-level even among hardcore comic folk.

We'll see.