• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I personally think this movie is either going to be a huge success or a huge failure. I don't really see a middle ground.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

Thank GOD George Lucas didn't think this way...

What in the world are you talking about? What pre-existing, C-grade, virtually-unknown comic book characters did George Lucas spend $300 million to bring to the screen?

Are you making up this $300 million budget you referenced, or did you see this somewhere?

I predict a US gross north of $250K. Huge hit.

Ill take the under

Smart bet, I have high hopes. I think Rocket (Is that what we'll be calling him now?) will prove to be a juggernaut of a marketing force.

Nobody cared or really knew about Iron Man before the movie.

Iron Man wasn't in the public consciousness like Superman, Batman or Spider-Man...but I would bet hard money a heck of a lot of people knew of Iron Man. No one...and I mean NO ONE outside of comic book culture had any clue about the GotG.

I'm going to be lazy and ask for forgiveness if anyone posted this. What about movies like Blade which was a C list marvel property that did well on the big screen in a pre-Twilight movie era?

I would also point to Men in Black as another comic property that was successful without prior large scale exposure.

With Guardians I think that the Marvel name will attract some curiosity as well as the concept itself of being a sci-fi adventure done by the people who brought you avengers.

In case you haven't seen the new crew.... :whistle:

guardiansofthegalaxy-firstlook-lineup-xlarge.jpg

Gamora and Rocket Raccoon look pretty good. Star-Lord looks lame.

If that is the CGI working model for Rocket Raccoon that is actually pretty impressive and better than I expected. Drax looks like... Drax I guess. They have changed Drax so many times in terms of design and mass that I guess Batista is a decent fit.

I am still undecided about Groot. He should be bigger but I do not know if that would work on screen.

I am guessing Star Lord is the ginger stoner-looking dude? And Drax is the red/green guy?

I remember Gamora & Drax from the Infinity mini-series days, and while Gamora is instantly recognizable, if it isn't a big green guy in a purple cape, I am only guessing at Drax. I obviously have no idea who Star Lord is, nor Groot.

-slym

I am guessing Star Lord is the ginger stoner-looking dude? And Drax is the red/green guy?

I remember Gamora & Drax from the Infinity mini-series days, and while Gamora is instantly recognizable, if it isn't a big green guy in a purple cape, I am only guessing at Drax. I obviously have no idea who Star Lord is, nor Groot.

-slym

Correct on the two guesses.

By the way, my kids just saw Rocket Racoon in the big photo and went nuts already to see him. From that small sample, I can tell who the star of the movie will be.

lol

In case you haven't seen the new crew.... :whistle:

guardiansofthegalaxy-firstlook-lineup-xlarge.jpg

Gamora and Rocket Raccoon look pretty good. Star-Lord looks lame.

If that is the CGI working model for Rocket Raccoon that is actually pretty impressive and better than I expected. Drax looks like... Drax I guess. They have changed Drax so many times in terms of design and mass that I guess Batista is a decent fit.

I am still undecided about Groot. He should be bigger but I do not know if that would work on screen.

I was kinda hoping Groot looked more like... Groot. He looks like something out of Star Wars, you know - like a being, not something organic that can grow to large scale. But - no complaints, I am totally stoked about whatever they do with GotG.