• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

GOTG Blu-Ray and DVD top-selling Christmas present on Amazon:

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/26/guardians-of-the-galaxy-a-bigger-christmas-gift-than-frozen/

This is actually a misleading article, as it doesn't account for DVD/Blu-Ray release dates and how this impacted late-year orders. These are the current top 2014 sales numbers, sorted by USD total results.

8DHS0Da.png

Guardians' DVD/Blu-Ray sales have not been tallied yet because it was released so late in the year (11/24/14). To beat Frozen's tally, Guardians would have to sell over 9.48 million units. Frozen was released so early this year, most of the sales took place long before Christmas (3/18/14).

GOTG Blu-Ray and DVD top-selling Christmas present on Amazon:

http://comicbook.com/2014/12/26/guardians-of-the-galaxy-a-bigger-christmas-gift-than-frozen/

This is actually a misleading article, as it doesn't account for DVD/Blu-Ray release dates and how this impacted late-year orders. These are the current top 2014 sales numbers, sorted by USD total results.

8DHS0Da.png

Guardians' DVD/Blu-Ray sales have not been tallied yet because it was released so late in the year (11/24/14). To beat Frozen's tally, Guardians would have to sell over 9.48 million units. Frozen was released so early this year, most of the sales took place long before Christmas (3/18/14).

Random thoughts.

Disney has to be happy either way as they own both Frozen and Guardians.

Disney is on a roll with the Avengers and Star Wars movies upcoming.

Disney stock looks like a better bet over the next year period, then buying oil and gold now.

(thumbs u

Random thoughts.

Disney has to be happy either way as they own both Frozen and Guardians.

Disney is on a roll with the Avengers and Star Wars movies upcoming.

Disney stock looks like a better bet over the next year period, then buying oil and gold now.

(thumbs u

I'd say Disney overall had an amazing year of movies, including bleed-overs from 2013.

bDh5DVgl.png

'Frozen' alone did over $400 MM in the domestic market once it was done, and $1.3 billion worldwide. And that doesn't even include the over 9 million DVD and Blu-Ray units this movie sold.

It's good to be The Mouse!

Now THAT is one heck of a great commission.

Cool Guardians of the Galaxy 'Star Wars' Poster

---------------------

Check out the following poster that a fan of the Guardians of the Galaxy had commissioned done in the style of Star Wars.

The artist, Alexander Iaccarino, posted the images on Imgur adding, "This will be screenprinted with metallic grey and gold in a limited run. The artwork took a month to complete using Photoshop CS6 and my Cintiqs (21ux 2nd gen and Companion)."

---------------------

EcvJRqs.jpg

CC had said this would be the movie to probably surpass the domestic total.

BOX OFFICE: THE HUNGER GAMES Set To Top GOTG As 2014's Highest Grossing Domestic Movie

-------------------

Back at home, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 proved it's hard to beat a popular YA adaptation, even if it is essentially two hours of people standing around talking. @giteshpandya reports that the first half of that series' finale is set to comfortably overtake Guardians of the Galaxy with a total of around $340 million to become 2014's #1 domestic movie.

-------------------

BOX OFFICE: THE HUNGER GAMES Set To Top GOTG As 2014's Highest Grossing Domestic Movie

-------------------

Back at home, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 proved it's hard to beat a popular YA adaptation, even if it is essentially two hours of people standing around talking. @giteshpandya reports that the first half of that series' finale is set to comfortably overtake Guardians of the Galaxy with a total of around $340 million to become 2014's #1 domestic movie.

-------------------

Mass appeal, popular books & one of the highest grossing per dollar actress. Triple Threat.

So, I finally watched it...... My wife kept asking about characters and story lines. All I could tell her was that Thanos was very bad. I recognized nothing from my youth as a Guardians/Nova/Kree/Warlock fan. Don't get me wrong. As a movie it was entertaining, but there were so many disappointing things. What the hell did they do to Yondu? Oh well, guess I'll wait for the Avengers flick. I'm sure that won't have it's problems. :eyeroll:

Back at home, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 proved it's hard to beat a popular YA adaptation
Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. :P

Didn't bother to try The Maze Runner this weekend. Lost power for a bit and just watched football for the rest of today.

-------------------

-------------------

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will pass GOTG internationally next weekend. GOTG did great domestically, but didn't have the foreign appeal of other movies this past year. (Many of the other summer "blockbusters" beat it in the foreign markets.) Even so, considering this was the first outing for GOTG, it exceeded expectations.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies will pass GOTG internationally next weekend. GOTG did great domestically, but didn't have the foreign appeal of other movies this past year. (Many of the other summer "blockbusters" beat it in the foreign markets.) Even so, considering this was the first outing for GOTG, it exceeded expectations.

You are not kidding. I assumed it would do $500-$650 MM maximum.

I saw this in the theater & was really charmed.

I saw it on pay per view twice this past weekend & absolutely love it.

(thumbs u I got the DVD at Christmas but haven't watched it yet.

This movie can't stop achieving new accomplishments.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Nabs A WGA Nomination

Adapted Screenplay:

• American Sniper - Screenplay by Jason Hall; Based on the book by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice
  • Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn; Based on her own novel
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - Screenplay by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman; Based on the Marvel comic by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
  • The Imitation Game - Screenplay by Graham Moore; Based on the book Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
  • Wild - Screenplay by Nick Hornby; Based on the book by Cheryl Strayed

This movie can't stop achieving new accomplishments.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Nabs A WGA Nomination

Adapted Screenplay:

• American Sniper - Screenplay by Jason Hall; Based on the book by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice
  • Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn; Based on her own novel
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - Screenplay by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman; Based on the Marvel comic by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
  • The Imitation Game - Screenplay by Graham Moore; Based on the book Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
  • Wild - Screenplay by Nick Hornby; Based on the book by Cheryl Strayed

:applause: I was wondering if a CBM would get a nod for adapted screenplay this year.