• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just currious - is it worth it in 20 years?

8 posts in this topic

Ok - So I don't collect for the investment, and I really don't know that much about the "art" of collecting except I know what I want when I see it. But something has caught my eye...something that I would normally never buy simply because it is not Star Wars, Star Trek or similar.

This March Marvel is releasing the 1st of 6 issues of "Marvel Universe: The End" (Jim Starlin)... Dynamic Forces already is taking pre-orders for signed copies of this comic.

I am wondering the same thought that everyone has when contemplating a purchase for pure fianincial reasons....will this series be worth a buck in 20 years? Do you think that it would be worth it to pre-order/order all 6 issues, CGC them and then sit on them for a few decades? Up till now I only bought SW & ST comics, because that is what I wanted...but as I said...this 6 comic series has caught my eye.

Any ideas on its future demand?

This sounds to me like a mini series and to date not a whole lot in mini series is worth much today.There will be many people thinking this might be worth something in 20 years or so that will buy and invest in multiple copies. I've learned on this thread that despite the high price of today's comics, hoarding is still alive and well. Because of that, investing in Modern Comics is not a good idea.

Better to buy a comic that's already 20 years old in NM and hang onto that for 20 years. If you can afford it, get one that's already 30 years old. You'll do better. That's my opinion. Anybody else?

I'm not really investing in comics anymore. I feel like it took away some of the enjoyment of collecting. But IMO, I wouldn't buy these to slab 'em and hold em. What if they didn't come back 9.8? What if the series sucks? (Although Starlin is one of my all time favorites and I know it won't suck). . . .

If I were you, I would grab a proven winner that still has room to grow.

Good luck with your decision,

DAM

Mini-series usually don't do much in terms of collectability or increase in value. There are few exceptions..the Punisher Mini-Series did well for a while, as did Secret Wars for a short short time, and DC's Crisis..otherwise they're just available for a good read.

Brian

Well it looks like the general concensus from the peanut gallery is - don't bother -.... Which means I probably will. For about a $150 investment, comics, CGC, shipping, etc... I don't think it would hurt that bad... Don't know why but for some reason I have a feeling about these 6.... Could also be the fact I am heading to Vegas in a couple of weeks. tongue.gif

Mini-series usually don't do much in terms of collectability or increase in value.

This is very true yet often overlooked. Out of all the mini-series that Marvel has done, how many issues are worth anything? Wolverine (1982) #1-4 have done well...Secret Wars #8...Punisher #1...Origin #1...can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

However, I CAN rattle off the names of dozens and dozens of mini-series whose issues guide for $3 or $4 tops but can easily be found for about a buck a piece...Jack of Hearts, Hercules, X-Men vs. the Micronauts, Kitty Pryde & Wolverine, Vision/Scarlet Witch I and II, Secret Wars II, The Sword of Solomon Kane, Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner, Balder the Brave, Nightcrawler...just to name a few from the 80s.

If you plan on slabbing "The End" for "investment" purposes, I think you will gain more enjoyment by simply watching yourself flush dollar bills down the toilet, with exactly the same end result.

Gene