• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Steranko Listed For Big Apple Sept. 19!

19 posts in this topic

Another Big Apple Comic Con coming up next month, Sat and Sun Sept. 18 & 19.

Jim Steranko is scheduled for Sunday.

And Sal Buscema is making an appearance on Saturday as well.

I plan to attend, not sure which day yet...

Should be a good show. Wish I could come.

Steranko is larger than life. Still got some of that escape artist in his blood.

Sal is great. I got to spend an entire day talking to him. What a great guy.

I just came back and there was more stuff than last time but alot of it was overpriced!!!!!

I just got back too and I had a blast. Since this was my first "big" convention (I'm use to conventions in no bigger than half a high school jim) I was as giddy as a school girl.

I did think a lot of stuff was overpriced but I did pick up a couple of things. It was great just seeing all those high grade comics, comic book art, and just a lot of comic book fans in one place.

Plus I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of that girl in the black cat costume. HAWT.

I was at the con today with dave (DAM60) and Gene (delekkersette)... but I was the only one who did any real buying because the other guys weren't really looking for anything.

I kind of agree that most of the stuff that was available was pretty much overpriced -- but there were some decent books if you looked carefully.

Here's what I got:

Special Marvel Edition 15 CGC 9.4 -- Paid $210, a little more than I really wanted to pay, but I was able to get the book from Ted (Superworld), I really wanted this book, and MOKF was one of my favorite characters. I'm sure if I held out, I could get the book somewhere for cheaper, but honestly didn't feel like that... it was a recurring theme for the day.

JLA #9 raw, 9.0 -- Ted thought it was a 9.2, I thought it was a 9.0 -- paid $380 trade, $170 cash. I was ok with this -- because the book is absolutely beautiful to look at.

Journey Into Mystery 112 raw, 8.0 -- Paid $305 from Harley Yee (who was in Australia, but his brother was there). This book is structurally an 8.0, no doubt about it. However, it has a very white cover with absolutely bone white pages with no sign of tanning at all. It was the most beautiful interior of a 112 that I have ever seen (although I've never seen the inside of the 9.4 or 9.6 graded copies) Took it to a couple of other dealers who all thought the book was structurally an 8.0 as well, but loved the eye appeal. Paid a little high, but it was well worth it.

Batman 251 CGC 8.5 -- Paid $80 from Bob Storms. I know, one went for $65 recently on Comiclink, but to not have to search ebay or comiclink and deal with the hassle, I thought $80 was reasonable for a slabbed copy.

Detective 394, 399 (Adams covers) raw 9.0 -- Avengers 95 raw 8.5, 97 raw 9.2 -- Paid $140 for group from Gary Platt. As always, Gary is a tight grader and I got a fair deal from my favorite dealer. I would have bought more if I could have found more books that I wanted.

I wasn't anticipating this, but I'm going to go to the con on Sunday -- perhaps more purchases tomorrow.

More stuff Monday morning... If anyone is coming tomorrow - I guess I'll see you there.

Is Gary Platt the bearded dealer directly across from the Harley Yee setup? Kind of small space with another guy helping him? If it is, I hit up those Detectives and Batmans as well around 11 am.

I kept pulling these awesome Adams (and others) covers out of the one box and adding them to my pile. I went looking for horror but couldn't pass up these books. I got a 'Tec 403, 412, 436, Batman 241, 248, DC Special 11 (Adams Monsters) and a Ghosts 40.

The books are real glossy and bright colors. The only bad thing was the Batman 248 has a minute tear on the back cover which I didn't notice until I got it home. But I got a deal on the pile, so I guess I can look at it as a "free" book. confused-smiley-013.gif

Also, had a Chuck siting while I was there. And the Star Trek chick is not looking too good these days....

Here's what I got yesterday:

Avengers 4 F+ $500

group of 2 detectives/2 actions 9.0-2s $80

daredevil Masterwork vol. 2, $25

couple of things from 50 cent guy

two trades at half off

GL 79 NM-, JLA 71 VF/NM, JLA 108 NM-/NM, Detective 395 VF group from Bob for $150.

Went to my buddy Joe's store afterwards to just say hello and spent another $300 on F/F+ Detective 400, Bats 232, Almost complete run of Adams GLs (except 76 and 79), Lots of Kaluta and Adams covered Detectives... it was a great deal.

so here's the dam60 big apple con report (will add pictures hopefully later on tonight).

Sat:

Got to the show around 3:30pm on sat and there was a line of people trying to get in! that was pretty neat to see considering that there was a torrential downpour in the AM. The usual dealers were set up and one of the coolest things was the awesome Aliens vs. Predator display by metaldude.com. Awesome! The Freddy Krueger was also pretty neat.

I met up with FK and Del which was a lot of fun as always. I was hanging out by the artists alley where Sal Buscema was the biggest draw as he was churning out free head sketches to fans. I was at the ACTOR booth for a bit on Sat as well as talking to Buzz. The new location really is substantially better than the church basement.

Sun:

Got to the show at 8:45 or so with FK and saw that the show as closed to everyone. Walked around a bit and by 9:15 I am in and set up! I got to the ACTOR booth and had a real easy set up. Within minutes there was Stynxo who was an awesome guy - got there early and stayed late chilling at the booth! Thanks Marc! We had a good time in the morning and spent some time with Angel Medina who was telling us some great stories about his early days and his first con appearance. Just as Angel was leaving Mr. Woo showed up which great - the three of us had a good time later in the pm but first FK, St, and myself headed off to Sbarro's for some overpriced and low quality pizza. Hey, it is literally 30 steps from the front door of the con. Marc and I came back and we ended the con in an uneventful manner. It was fun talking to the guys in artists alley and it was nice to meet Steranko who didn't even take a bathroom break the entire time he was at the con. There was a surprise guest appearance by a Larry Leiber who spent a good 45 minutes with Jim. That was pretty cool.

Had some great discussion amongst FK, St and Mr. Woo about a growing trend that we are noticing with people walking around the show with serious cash and dealers at the show with serious books but at the end of the day everyone goes back home with the same stuff they had previously - the con goer his cash and the dealer his book. Has anyone else noticed that? A good example would be a certain dealer had a 7.0 FF 26 cgc graded that he wanted $10 above guide for and the potential customer wanted to pay $20 less than guide. The two couldn't come to a compromise and no deal was struck. I heard different things about the show from differnt people. Some had a gang buster Sat and some had a crappy Sat. I didn't stick around to the end on Sunday but by the time I left ~5:15 many dealers were already shutting down.

All in all a great time and I am looking forward to the National in November!

Special thanks to Foolkiller, Stynxo and Mr. Woogieman for helping out at the ACTOR booth with me on Sunday! flowerred.gif

DAM

Okay let's talk about this a little bit more...

I was that customer Dave's referring to and the dealer was Odyssey Comics who generally I've seen at the NYC shows.

Now, let me just say I don't think the guy's a jerk, but he's sort of dour fellow...

and basically here was the dilemna: The dealer offered me the FF 26 CGC 7.0 for $250 (that's $30 above guide) and I basically said, I can get the book cheaper. Slabs less than 9.0 don't get guide on ebay and they're hard to get guide -- but I'm willing to pay guide for this book. I offer $220... he says well, I can get $250 (meanwhile he's had the book since at least the last Big Apple) and blithers on about the bad points of ebay and how if I wanted the book it was worth another $20 or $30 to not have to buy on ebay.

Of course he left out that he'd actually make a sale on a book he's sat on for a long time, he wouldn't have to list the book or have the hassle over it blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he wouldn't budge, and neither would I, mostly on principle. And to be honest, if it was a dealer who just nicely, listen, I can't do it, I've got too much into it, etc., etc., or a dealer like Ted or Bob who I like, I probably would have said fine, but his attitude stunk and he didn't make the sale.

Some dealers are going to have a problem because I see a price correction coming, so nose bleed prices should not become the norm -- and as consumers we ought to keep the money in our pockets until prices come back into line.

Thanks for the kind words dam smile.gif it was really nice meeting you, foolkiller and mr woogie. I finally could talk to someone about comics for more than 3 minutes and not have their eyes glaze over!

I have a more detailed report on my website but I'll give a quick summary here.

Saturday was awesome as this was my first non-local comic book convention (I'm use to one room, 9 dealer shows). There was some nice stuff and I was able to pick up a 9.0 TOS western pen from Ted at Superworld, a nice Iron Man art piece from Alitha Martinez, a really pretty avengers 117 9.0 from bob which looks much much better than what the label says. the eye appeal on that copy is insane but, in the right light, you can tell that it is accurately graded. I also picked up some stuff from the 50 cent guy and had a good time overall.

Sunday was a blast at the ACT booth and just being around the cgc message board peeps and the creators was great. I tried to pick up some deals at the end of the show but most dealer were packed up by 5. I was offered a FF #50 in G/VG (maybe even VG+ but I didn't look at it long enough) for 18 but I passed since I don't collect FF. Only later did i find out that it was an okay deal. Damn. I went to another booth that had a lot of midgrade/high grade bronze and moderns for saw at great prices. The dealers name was PNJ2000 or something. They cut most of their stock by 50% at 5 and they had some good business at the end. I picked up some stuff I wanted for great prices so I didn't go home empty handed.

I can't wait till National!

I went to the con on Sunday afternoon, my thanks to Dave for hooking me up with a badge! Met up with Dave (dam60) and Marc (styxno) at the ACTOR table, saw Brian (foolkiller) for about 10 minutes. Then, I met some cool creators, bought some cheap comics, and hung out in the vicinity of Steranko for awhile.

Then, I missed the ACTOR auction. foreheadslap.gif

Then, I made up for missing the ACTOR auction by buying some left overs including what I think is a pretty neat Captain America in pen by Rich Buckler (although I'm passing it along to my friend Jerry who hasn't been to a show in about five years and keeps threatening to go with me and start a sketchbook), and a nice signed Steranko SHIELD poster which he had signed and donated for the auction.

Then, I hung out in the vicinity of Steranko for another while. He was a pretty funny dude too. At one point he looked at me and said, 'being here is like being in an MRI machine in a David Kronenberg movie' (I have no idea what that meant, but I assumed it meant that he was 'all conned out'). I have to say he had the patience of a saint with all the oddballs wanting some of his time.

He also told me how amazed he is that he's such a big name in the comics industry considering how his artwork only appeared in about 28 books total (may have gotten the number wrong, but it was unbelievably low)! He had a bunch of art laid out on the table and behind him on some easels. One particularly cool piece had the Black Terror and his sidekick (Kid Terror?) in an action shot, no backgrounds. I asked him if he liked the character when he was a kid, and he said that he was always a sucker for a skull and crossbones design! He also had the most unbelievable looking artwork featuring Nick Fury underwater in full SHIELD scuba gear, just amazing details.

Then he rummaged around under the table and pulled out about a dozen small square artboards (maybe 10" square). He says to me, 'here's something you've never seen before', and then he says 'nevermind' and starts to put them back and he's laughing and saying 'and you still haven't seen them!'. Finally he starts to lay them out in front of me on the table and each one has a full character done in a smaller circle on the square board, one of which was an awesome Nick Fury holding a cool SHIELD gun, lots of cool little details.

So, yes, I would say meeting Steranko was the highlight of the show for me.

I had a good time and I'm ready for more at the National in November! thumbsup2.gif

I went to the con on Sunday afternoon, my thanks to Dave for hooking me up with a badge! Met up with Dave (dam60) and Marc (styxno) at the ACTOR table, saw Brian (foolkiller) for about 10 minutes. Then, I met some cool creators, bought some cheap comics, and hung out in the vicinity of Steranko for awhile.

Mr. Woo - EVERYONE missed the ACTOR auction so we cancelled it! I have the donations in a porfolio case and will have it for a first come first served at the Naional. That way we can have something other than those X2 cards (which I still think are pretty neat . . .)

DAM

Mr. Woo - EVERYONE missed the ACTOR auction so we cancelled it! I have the donations in a porfolio case and will have it for a first come first served at the Naional. That way we can have something other than those X2 cards (which I still think are pretty neat . . .)

DAM

Any chance the board members could bid on some of these items? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

gossip.gif I left that part out on purpose so as not to besmirch the quality of ACTOR's donated items. I know no one showed because it just wasn't on people's radar screens at 5:00 Sunday afternoon. shy.gif