• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Changes to Ebay. They are a coming!

60 posts in this topic

Why does any of this come as a surprise to anyone? eBay has been on an anti-seller binge and disenfranchisement campaign for the better part of 5-6 years now. I've sold a handful of items on ebay over the last couple of years, and even those have sometimes been a pain. Just not worth it. Whatever you think of CGC and their policies, you have to give them credit for allowing the marketplace to exist here relatively unimpeded by red tape and the normal hassles of dealing with the yahoos of eBay.

I think this sums up the most significant fee-related changes for comic sellers:

For non-store sellers who run auctions, the FVF is increasing from 9% to 10%. I think this is probably the least-affected group.

For store owners running auctions, the FVF is increasing by about 25% on sales under $50, roughly doubling on sales $50 to $1000, and tripling to quadrupling on sales over $1000.

For fixed price sales, you'll see a slight savings on sales under $50 (FVF lowered from 11% to 10% for regular sellers and 9% for store sellers). The FVF is increasing about 33% on sales $50 to $1000, and doubling to tripling to quadrupling on sales over $1000. Premium and anchor store owners (the types of accounts that have the most listings) are also facing significant increase in listing fees. For premium stores, the listing fee is doubling from $0.05 to $0.10, and for anchor stores it's increasing from $0.03 to $0.05.

For our part, we'll see some savings from slightly lower FVFs on all the books we sell under $50, but not enough to cancel the increased FVF on $50+ sales and the nearly doubled listing fees we'll be paying going from $0.03 to $0.05.

I think one of the big fallouts of this is going to be a lot fewer "stale" listings from MCS, MileHigh, and other heavy listers. Previously they were paying 3 cents per listing and now they will have to pay 5 cents per listing over 2500.

When you have 100,000 listings that is

$3,000 on the old plan

$4,875 on the new (+62%)

That is a huge monthly increase, just in listing fees, which are due whether an item sells or not.

So there will be a re-evalutation of which listings are profitable.

Mycomicshop currently sells items as low as $1.20. If they were to determine that the profitable price point is now $1.30, it would take out 50,000 listings, which is 25% of their listings.

It won't simply affect the low end either, as mschmidt pointed out. Higher end prices will either be raised or sellers will lose profit.

And to think just a few days ago in a thread when somebody stated the worst update of a site ever was the new photo-bucket I posted give ebay a chance. They have such wonderful updates as well.

:foryou:

I think this sums up the most significant fee-related changes for comic sellers:

For non-store sellers who run auctions, the FVF is increasing from 9% to 10%. I think this is probably the least-affected group.

For store owners running auctions, the FVF is increasing by about 25% on sales under $50, roughly doubling on sales $50 to $1000, and tripling to quadrupling on sales over $1000.

For fixed price sales, you'll see a slight savings on sales under $50 (FVF lowered from 11% to 10% for regular sellers and 9% for store sellers). The FVF is increasing about 33% on sales $50 to $1000, and doubling to tripling to quadrupling on sales over $1000. Premium and anchor store owners (the types of accounts that have the most listings) are also facing significant increase in listing fees. For premium stores, the listing fee is doubling from $0.05 to $0.10, and for anchor stores it's increasing from $0.03 to $0.05.

For our part, we'll see some savings from slightly lower FVFs on all the books we sell under $50, but not enough to cancel the increased FVF on $50+ sales and the nearly doubled listing fees we'll be paying going from $0.03 to $0.05.

Maybe you can now open a store on BidStart. And then cancel your 3rd party ads that keep surfacing on my listings there. :baiting:

I just saw an article that said these changes were to compete better with Amazon. So I'm not sure you are going to find it more favorable.

Amazon Rates

Product Type               Referral Fee Percentage
Baby                          15%
Books 	                      15%
Consumer Electronics          8%
Electronics Accessories       15% of the portion of the item price and any gift wrap charges paid by the buyer
DVDs 	                      15%
Home & Garden (including Pet Supplies) 	15%
Kindle Accessories (effective beginning March 1, 2013) 	25%
Music 	                        15%
Software & Computer Games 	15%
Sports & Outdoors 	        15%
Tools & Building Supplies 	12%
Video Games                    15%
Videos (VHS)                   	15%
Watches                           15%
Any Other Products 	15%

Well... looks like I am going to start a massive listing spree to be done with all the nonsense -

Let's see...

CGC Marketplace for Comics

Rebelscum, Hisstank and TFW2005 for Plastic Crack

Half.com for books and movies (Even though it is an ebay site it seems unaffected)

Bricklink for Lego

The other stuff may go on Craigslist and perhaps other places... just 'cuz

Eff them, and I already found a loophole/exploit in their system a couple of months ago. Found out it works, but have not decided if I will utilize it.

I just saw an article that said these changes were to compete better with Amazon. So I'm not sure you are going to find it more favorable.

eBay has been trying to turn into Amazon for years, it's a shame. They were better as eBay.

For me, I MIGHT start listing a few books again, because most of mine are under $50, and this actually saves me a bit.

They really killed people listing things for under $10 that were not in a store...this is an improvement.

What are the odds Paypal raises their cut from 2.9%, to say, 3.9% before the year is over?

What are the odds that I am found on weekends with a table full of 'stuff' on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn like all of the hipsters?

What are the odds Paypal raises their cut from 2.9%, to say, 3.9% before the year is over?

What are the odds that I am found on weekends with a table full of 'stuff' on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn like all of the hipsters?

My dad grew up on Bedford, lol.

North 7th of course. Best place to get people walking to or from the subway.

I have better things to do than stand around on the street all day. I don't know how they do it.

North 7th of course. Best place to get people walking to or from the subway.

I have better things to do than stand around on the street all day. I don't know how they do it.

WILLIAMSBURG? You hipster, you...

:lol:

Say, did you ever go down to the Brooklyn Flea? Maybe I served you a fish taco and never knew it.

Man, that last line sounds horrible... :whistle:

-slym

Funny I just read about the Ebay CEO making over $29.3 million last year . Like 900,000 in salary and the rest in stock. Should have known that wasnt enough money for him . Bet its closer to 50 million next year .

They ought to work for the oil/gas companies... Exxon made excessive BILLIONS in profit that one year, gasoline was still over $4 a gallon.

:facepalm:

-slym