• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1 40cent Variant

22 posts in this topic

Well this post is a little bit of a question and a statement. Overstreet has the 40c Price Variant Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1 at the same price as its 35c counterpart.

Though in the past 2 years or so of me constantly looking for this book I've only found 1 other 40c copy per 1,000's of 35c copies. I would assume that this book is MUCH rarer than the 35c cover just based off of my relentless hunting.

And to boot. That 40c copy that I finally found which recently went up on ebay as a Midgrade VG/Fine yet was taken off almost as quickly as it was put on! Someone get to it first?

Anyone care to venture its actual value? I would think that it would follow the multiples of the bronze age marvel variants or better since this is a silver age book.

Please anyone spill thier brain as to what they know or think about this specific issue, any information would be beneficial!

-bounty

Never heard of a price variant for that issue. Never gave a poop about price variants though. I think this is totally uncharted territory (Magazine variants). If the foaming at the mouth marvel PV collectors decide this is a must have in order to be a PV completist then it should go for nutso monies. Curious as to what JC would say about this.

Well no-one seems to know anything about this book RED!!?!!? 893frustrated.gif I posted the thread in the Silver age Comic Forum , the Bronze age Comic thread for 35c-Marvel Variants stooges.gif and here of course. Either no one gives a turd about or honestly doesn't know anything about it?!?! Here are some pictures:

578170-SS_Mag_Full_40c_R.jpg

578170-SSmag_1_40c_R.jpg

578170-SSmag_1_40c_R.jpg.bc22521cbfe4c3efac0d85e9c8807f46.jpg

Methinks someone is playing a game ... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...Playing a game?

lol ArAich what does that mean?

I almost took offense to this, but will wait to hear your reply.

-bounty

No offense intended...just curious as to what's real and what isn't... confused-smiley-013.gif

Arch, pull out your most recent Overstreet guide...And look up the Spectacular Spider-Man Magazines #1. It lists there being a 40cent variant.

I am confused as to why you would think the 40cent variant copy that I posted is not real? There is no alteration to the book, and should be evident with the very close up picture that I provided of the price. I can try and take another one if you wish at an angle with bright light maybe?

As said, there was a copy that was up on ebay within the month that was immediately taken off. So it shows that it exists. But currently I dont know if I'm trying to prove to you that it exists or that my copy is one? confused-smiley-013.gif

-bounty

The 40 cent variant of the magazine definitely exists, I've had one. I believe it is the Canadian price issue. I bought mine in Winnipeg in 1977, so that might go toward the Canadian price theory. I sold it about five years ago and haven't seen one since. thumbsup2.gif

Anyone have an Idea on how to assess its value? confused-smiley-013.gif As stated Overstreet has it at the same value as its normal 35c counterpart.

Whether this book is rare I not I do not know with complete certainty. But as stated before, it has taken a long time for me to find another one, which seems to stick to flying donuts story as well. There simply are a lot more of the standard 35c covers than this Canadian 40c cover.

-bounty

So aardvark. If it was specifically a Canadian copy would that mean that the book has less place as a variant? Because regardless of that, it is a very difficult book to obtain. Hell to prove my point 80% of the members of the CGC board have no recollection or know close to nothing about this book, or didn't even know that it existed. And we are talking about some of the most cream of the crop collectors in the world here.

How would you place a value on your copy?

-bounty

Impossible to place a value on it ahead of time confused-smiley-013.gif as no eBay auction has been allowed to run its full course yet per your analysis.

There are a variety of variants that mainly show up from Canadian based sellers/eBayers. e.g. 1942 Capt Amer b/w annual, 1944 Marvel Mystery b/w annual which was published in USA per indicia, several of the Whitman pre-packs like Uncle Scrooge, Little Lulu.

Well after perusing the Latest OSPG, I decided to read a little market reporting. And of course Doug Sulipa always comes through with some tasty details for whatever you are looking for.

He has a section talking abou Canadian Comics (I believe this Spider-Man Variant, is a Canadian 40c cover only ). None the less he states:

"The canadian cover price newsstand edition variants are still in high demand, especially with completionists and variant collectors at 150%-300% of US copy prices. "

So I do not know if that applies to the Spectacular Spider-Man #1 40c Variant but it sure is interesting.

-bounty