• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con, April 4-6, 2014

63 posts in this topic

I actually thought the FF52's were priced "OK", if not a little on the high side, considering I was shopping for raw. Saw one raw in @8.5 or 9.0 for 700. Settled on a pretty nice 5.0 or so with white pages for 160. Several in the 300-400 range that looked maybe 6.0-7.5. There were probably some high grade slabbed copies that I didn't check out because I wasn't in a position to break the bank for a copy.

I heard a big dealer complaining about people in Nashville and StL, and how "all they want is $1 or $3 books. That's all people here can afford." Weird thing to say around paying customers, but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I heard pretty much the exact same conversation Saturday evening between two HG dealers I was buying books from. I fully understand where they are coming from since they are in the business of selling high grade $150+ single non-key raws. The disconnect is that their convention customer base are wanting low grade $5 raws for (non-CGC) signatures or personal collections.

They are in business to make money but you should know your customer base and potentially what they are willing to buy. I always believed you do not go to any Wizard World to buy/sell comics you go to them to buy/sell "products". A great model would be look at the artists in attendance and pack a short box of books to specifically sell customers of those artists and actively sell them through (in addition to your HG raw and wall books). I would imagine an opener like this to a customer "if there is anything I can help you with let me know, we have a box right here featuring all the artists currently in attendance for WW: Show" "If you are looking for a Stan Lee/Neal Adams we have X,Y,Z at $cheap for signatures, or if your looking for something more collectable we have Artist A-Z in $escalating price". You have to sell yourself before you can sell your wares.

My CGC picks-ups are here: CLICK HERE !!!! DO IT!!

Some non-cgc pick-ups were a large number of Charlton Captain Atoms to upgrade and fill my run. A stunning Adv #365 that I have very high expectations for! and my personal story favorite of the Con:

After my Sketch drop offs Friday I make a B-line for Harley Yee as I was told he might have a millie #2, he didn't but looked over my HG golden age want list. Struck out swinging but showed me an ABC #25, ABC #26 church copies with a very affordable price tag. Beautiful Miss Masque covers and well on my radar for future wants but currently outside of my focus. If I had not completed a deal last month on a certain book, I would have bought both of them.... and I still might.

Any case, he said he thought Terry had a couple early Millies and walked me over to his booth, this will sound sappy but he could have just said go to "x" booth. He didn't he walked with me over there, it leaves an impression, a good one! Terry looks through the books on his side and no joy but graham is sharing space and not only has a number two but a number one as well! Ok, game face!

Look the book over it is in rough but very very affordable condition, I tell him I will think about it and return later. We joke that the book probably wont go anywhere as I'm the only one looking for Millie. I return saturday and engage my "eye of the jew" talk him down some and agree on price. He asks cash or credit, I pull out my CC and he gives the dealer "you just kicked my puppy" sigh. I actually do not enjoy using a CC with deals after negotiating a lower price as it cuts into their profits even more and these guys need profit to buy more books to sell me, so it really does hurt everyone in a circular way.

She may not be the bell of the ball but she is mine and will be a great placeholder while I search for a high grade copy:

ece34d7d-fbce-4423-a208-f4901d1ca0d3_zps33dbda65.jpg

Despite the long wait to get in and the pretty thin crowd I had a pretty good time at the show this year. Picked up a nice starter copy of Crypt of Terror #17 from Harley, which I was quite excited about.

Sunday continued the trend of the high end dealers suffering through crowds not willing to pull the trigger on high grade books from my vantage. Lots of talk about not returning to the StL show for 2015, especially with the date conflict caused by the show moving to May. 2015 StL WW could be a pretty sparse shopping environment for the vintage comic shopper.