• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

And yes I'm quoting myself from a few weeks back in this very thread...

According to comiccron, whose first entry is January 1995, Batman Adventures #30 sold 44,000 copies. 32k though Diamond and 12k through Capital City. So as an educated guess the direct print run for Batman Adventures is 50k...does that sound reasonable?

Jim

According to comiccron, whose first entry is January 1995, Batman Adventures #30 sold 44,000 copies. 32k though Diamond and 12k through Capital City. So as an educated guess the direct print run for Batman Adventures is 50k...does that sound reasonable?

Jim

I think I missed that post, sorry to have put you through the trouble :foryou:

Jim

Diamond and Cap City wouldnt have sold the Bar Coded copies would they? Just trying to understand the rarity of that, if it matters at that after all. I do notice that early Spawns with Bar codes seem to generate higher sales though. Edited by Junkdrawer

Even the Collected edition is hot, wow!! I love bidding wars lol. Copies available at BIN for $25 yet people bid with this one almost double other available BIN auctions.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300983752290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought the collected edition of this maybe 3 months ago for $1. I love Harley but this is getting a little silly.

This rise in this book has been pretty amazing. I bought my MT copy a little over a year ago for $25 and I thought I paid too much at the time :). I think the recent Arkham video games helped bring her character more into the mainstream. Some of my gaming buddies never heard of her until they played the games. I think she is her to stay. I don't know if the current values will hold, but unlike most recent rapid rises in first appearances this one is not due to a movie.

That sounds cheap even then.

2-3 years ago I sold a mid-grade copy of Mad Love, which I think is her origin or something and well after BA 12, for $25 or so.

Even the Collected edition is hot, wow!! I love bidding wars lol. Copies available at BIN for $25 yet people bid with this one almost double other available BIN auctions.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300983752290?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought the collected edition of this maybe 3 months ago for $1. I love Harley but this is getting a little silly.

It's possible the bidders think it's the actual issue rather than the collected edition. :eek:

Jim

Diamond and Cap City wouldnt have sold the Bar Coded copies would they? Just trying to understand the rarity of that, if it matters at that after all. I do notice that early Spawns with Bar codes seem to generate higher sales though.

I am guessing it is a chunk higher as I see plenty of issues 1-15 or so (not 12) in dollar boxes. Print-runs may have tailed off toward the end of the series and as the 90s wore on (print-runs down in 1995 vs. 1994 vs. 1993 generally).

This should not be a HTF book in lower grades. Yes, tough in 9.8 because copies were probably on the "kids" rack and badly mishandled, not a "speculator" book for file customer/collector types, etc. I want to know when her second appearance is going to pop because it's only a few issues later I think.

Edited by the blob

"but is certainly much harder to find in high grade and as time marches onward and this book develops into a modern mega key, the bar coded copies of this issue will rise above the other"

not knowing much about DC's distribution it's just a guess, but this might have been a title that was sold more heavily at newstands, 7-11s, Borders, etc. as a "kid friendly" title, so it might not be as rare (relatively speaking) as some newstand versions of the book (assuming there is a newstand version of this book!)

with that said, with "batgirl" adventures on the cover, perhaps the majority of readers of this book in 1993 -- 10 year old boys [?] -- said ICKY and didn't buy it..resulting in newstand returns, extra copies being tossed in the 10 cent box and ultimately turned into pulp?

Jim

Diamond and Cap City wouldnt have sold the Bar Coded copies would they? Just trying to understand the rarity of that, if it matters at that after all. I do notice that early Spawns with Bar codes seem to generate higher sales though.

I am guessing it is a chunk higher as I see plenty of issues 1-15 or so (not 12) in dollar boxes. Print-runs may have tailed off toward the end of the series and as the 90s wore on (print-runs down in 1995 vs. 1994 vs. 1993 generally).

This should not be a HTF book in lower grades. Yes, tough in 9.8 because copies were probably on the "kids" rack and badly mishandled, not a "speculator" book for file customer/collector types, etc. I want to know when her second appearance is going to pop because it's only a few issues later I think.

Could stores still return unsold copies back then? If yes, I cannot see this book being a high volume seller as it was a "kids book" and the question would be what % of the print run was returned.

That being said, how many lower grade copies of this book do you see? It has always been hard to find locally - I have seen way more single copies of #1 than I have of #12 at shows or in stores. which makes sense as #1s are the high spec issues for a new series. They are either sitting tucked away in collections or, most likely, were tossed out by parents as their kids grew up just like comics always have been.

Hey, you've gotten me to jump on the Harley bandwagon, so that's a plus. :cool: I'm going to fast track my two raw copies to CGC next week, both are strong 9.6, possible 9.8 candidates.
I doubt low grade copies will follow suit, 9.6s could be interesting though hm

The bubble will burst it has to it went way to fast over the past few months. There are always copies available and its to high to fast for the rarity of the book. Its not as rare as people are making it out to be. Its one of those books that didn't get much respect because of the cartoon feel to it. With it hitting these heights I expect to see a flood of these come out of the wood work esp sent to get graded. Due to it being a cartoon kids book and the black cover 9.9 and 10 well be very tough to get until a warehouse find lol.

The bubble will burst it has to it went way to fast over the past few months. There are always copies available and its to high to fast for the rarity of the book. Its not as rare as people are making it out to be. Its one of those books that didn't get much respect because of the cartoon feel to it. With it hitting these heights I expect to see a flood of these come out of the wood work esp sent to get graded. Due to it being a cartoon kids book and the black cover 9.9 and 10 well be very tough to get until a warehouse find lol.

I'm not sure that I agree with you on this. There are not always 9.8 copies available, there are less then 100 on the census. I've been trying to obtain this book in this grade for almost half a year now.